Anyone not cruising because of airfare cost?

kywildcatfanone

We were very excited about our cruise next in March 2013, but to be honest we are starting to get a little worried....airfares are through the roof here out of Halifax, NS, Canada! I flew to Honolulu at the same time last year for 900$ and this time its not even 100$ less to go to FLL! it really sucks because we love cruising so much...but the airfare is killing us right now!

We are also flying from Louisville on Sunday to Buenos Aires, and almost changed our minds when the flight was higher than the 13 day cruise. We booked our air travel with Expedia and saved two hundred dollars over the advertised airline charge. My concern is we are flying American Airlines and with their history of delays have some concerns.

We were very excited about our cruise next in March 2013, but to be honest we are starting to get a little worried....airfares are through the roof here out of Halifax, NS, Canada! I flew to Honolulu at the same time last year for 900$ and this time its not even 100$ less to go to FLL! it really sucks because we love cruising so much...but the airfare is killing us right now!

I have found that for very long haul flights, breaking them into separate flights can reduce the cost. Flying a domestic or regional airline to an airport closer to the destination, and then flying the remainder on another regional airline can reduce the total.

Example: We flew Hawaiian Airlines roundtrip to Honolulu, then flew JetStar round trip to Sydney. Much cheaper.

We've taken our annual "Friends and Family Winter Caribbean Cruise" now, for over 30 years. When we started, it was always out of NYC, now again, for the past 4 years, it's been out of NY/NJ and for 2013 it will be out of NY. No one in our group wants to fly to Fla to take it, regardless of the cost. Everyone said they'd rather spend the first and last day in cooler weather, but on the ship instead on/off of planes and in/out of airports. For those who have not done it, I don't think they realize that very quickly, you are in the gulf stream and it's not as cold as people think it might be. We have frequently been in the pool the afternoon of the first full day and same coming home. There are a LOT of people within a 2 hr drive of Metro NY who would gladly sail out of NY/NJ if there were more options. I only wish more lines would offer NY/NJ departures in the winter months and not just April to Oct.

We just canceled our Med cruise for spring of '13. Can't find airfare at less than $1500 each.

What dates/cities were you looking at? I can see having to pay that mid-summer, but spring is shoulder season, so you should be able to find something lower... (with flexibility, of course).

I finally found some reasonable flights, 650$ total but I had to book them separately, keep in mind that i was not very flexible in my schedule and the was probably flying at one of the worst time of the year (March2-10). All in all i am happy with my choices, but I had too constantly keep an eye on it for a month! BTW flying out of Halifax, NS, Canada

I have found that for very long haul flights, breaking them into separate flights can reduce the cost. Flying a domestic or regional airline to an airport closer to the destination, and then flying the remainder on another regional airline can reduce the total.

Example: We flew Hawaiian Airlines roundtrip to Honolulu, then flew JetStar round trip to Sydney. Much cheaper.

I finally found some reasonable flights, 650$ total but I had to book them separately, keep in mind that i was not very flexible in my schedule and the was probably flying at one of the worst time of the year (March2-10). All in all i am happy with my choices, but I had too constantly keep an eye on it for a month! BTW flying out of Halifax, NS, Canada

That's a great price! I agree: we have to be vigilant nowadays to get a decent airfare.

Archived