what to do post-cruise in Ft Lauderdale

chm1219

We will be returning on the Caribbean Princess to Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday 10/22 in the usual morning hours. However, our plane doesn't leave until 4:30 that afternoon - anybody have any suggestions on what to do to fill the time? also, would we have to keep all our luggage with us, or is there someplace to check it?

thanks!:)

I, too, would like to hear what cruisers do while waiting for late flights. We will have 6:30 p.m. flight after our Sea Princess cruise next February. I thought that maybe we'd rent a car for the day and drive to the beach or shopping. I anticipate we will have to keep our luggage with us. Any good ideas out there?

In Ft. Lauderdale, I thought the Bonnet House was really interesting. You'd have to arrange transportation to and from, but it can't be more than a few miles from the port. I think it was about $10 per person to go in the house.

Last time we had a late flight out we took a Princess tour to kill time and see parts of the area we hadn't seen before. We took the airboat ride in the everglades and they also stopped at a Flamingo park. It helped kill several hours, it was a nice tour and our luggage went right along with us on the bus. After the tour they dropped us at the airport for our flight.

Normally, these tours are not advertised ahead of time but they will send a flyer to your room a few days before you disembark. There is a minimum number that need to book which usually isn't a problem.

Other than that, if you don't have a car rented I am not sure what you will do with your luggage as you can't check it at the airport more than a few hours before your flight which would mean you would be lugging it around all day with you.

We took a tour after one of our cruises and they handled all our luggage. We went on a boat ride around the Ft. Lauderdale area. We got to see all of the beautiful houses along the causways and vist the downtown area. They also took us to the cruise port and we cruised right beside the ship we has just been on and got some fantastic pictures.

We also have a late flight for our cruise in August. There are 6 of us, and the cost of a Princess post-cruise tour would be a bit steep, so we decided to rent a big SUV for us and our luggage. This was not cheap either, but with points earned on my credit card I got it for a huge discount. :)

We disembark Caribbean Princess August 20th (I think....we board August 6 so it should be!!) As I understand it Princess have arranged for us to spend time at a resort hotel somewhere in Miami/Port Everglades area with facilities to swim shower and (I hope not) shop etc until its time to leave to board the big silver bird (American Airlines). I hate to think about returning

We disembark Caribbean Princess August 20th (I think....we board August 6 so it should be!!) As I understand it Princess have arranged for us to spend time at a resort hotel somewhere in Miami/Port Everglades area with facilities to swim shower and (I hope not) shop etc until its time to leave to board the big silver bird (American Airlines). I hate to think about returning

That is very interesting as I have never heard of Princess putting passengers in a day room or a hotel for the day of debarkation. Must be something new as they normally will just take you to the airport (if you have transfers) and leave you there waiting for your late flights.

I was born and raised in Fort Lauderdale and two things off the top of my head would be:

Take the water taxi...it cruises along the Intracoastal waterway and stops at almost every bar and major hotel. It is inexpensive and a great way to see that side of Lauderdale. It probably has a website and most hotels have a brochure for it's schedule.

Or you can take a taxi to Las Olas Blvd. where you can stroll along and shop and eat.

It is a pretty area with many nice shops, bars, and restuarants.

And of course there is always Fort Lauderdale beach on A1A.

All of these places are not very far from each other....10-15 min taxi ride.

And the water taxi you can pick up almost any where on the waterway.

Hope this helps!

Just checked the brochure...Day 16-Disembark-Transfer and use of hospitality facilitiesare provided before overnight flight to UK.

Last year we stayed over in Puerto Rico but table mates said they were going to a hotel.

Maybe thats why we pay 150% of the US !!!!

Bob

Toto

Several years ago, on Royal Princess trans-Canal, Acapulco to San Juan PR, Princess arranged for a day hotel with pool for passengers with later flights.

I don't believe it was "extra-priced", but my memory could be faulty. It did beat sitting around the airport for 6 or so hours.

Britsbest

A few years ago we went on a Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale on Grand Princess which we booked through Princess. Our return flight was from Miami in the evening. Princess put us in a hotel in Miami during the day with food, swimming and a room to change in. We got the impression that this is what they do with the Brits who book through them (that's the feeling we got). It was a nice end to a great holiday. They kept the luggage all day and we kept swim gear etc in our carry on bags.

Gill

When we got off the ship we took a cab to the airport and checked our bags. Our flight was after 4:00 PM and they let us check our bags in around 10:00. Then we hopped in a cab and went to Las Olas Blvd. We found a hotel with an outdoor cafe and ate brunch. Yes, we ate. I spent the last morning on the ship running around taking pictures, so we had skipped our last Horizon Court meal. BTW this is great time to get pics--no one is on deck or in the showrooms and everything is claen and in place. Anyway, after brunch we walked over to the Carrie B to sign up for a water tour of the FLL canals. It was a nice tour. Got to see all the expensive houses and learned about some of the history of the area. The best part of the ride was that we went right by the ships that were docked. I was able to get some great shots of the Grand and I even got a pic of the balcony that had been our home for the past week. After the tour we walked around Las Olas Blvd checking out the shops and galleries. Then it was time to head back to the airport. It was a nice way to kill about 6 hours. It was cheaper than taking a tour and it was a good way to ease back into real life. Each time we cruise we consider a tour, but now we've ended up napping at the airport.

I understand from passengers that have already travelled on the Caribbean Princess earlier this year that Princess transfer you back to the hotel in Miami that was used pre-cruise (Inter-Continental Miami - West) lunch is served before transferring to a shopping mall for 3 - 4 hours before the early evening BA flight to Heathrow.

The thought of 3 hours shopping before a long flight agggggh!!!!!!

Yes could be true.....we are in the Miami Intercontinetal West precruise.

It gets poor reviews @ tripadvisor.com Anyone with previous experience? Princess say they have had no complaints ! However we are sceduled to return AA rather than BA (we depart LHR on BA)

When we got off the ship we took a cab to the airport and checked our bags. Our flight was after 4:00 PM and they let us check our bags in around 10:00. Then we hopped in a cab and went to Las Olas Blvd. We found a hotel with an outdoor cafe and ate brunch. Yes, we ate. I spent the last morning on the ship running around taking pictures, so we had skipped our last Horizon Court meal. BTW this is great time to get pics--no one is on deck or in the showrooms and everything is claen and in place. Anyway, after brunch we walked over to the Carrie B to sign up for a water tour of the FLL canals. It was a nice tour. Got to see all the expensive houses and learned about some of the history of the area. The best part of the ride was that we went right by the ships that were docked. I was able to get some great shots of the Grand and I even got a pic of the balcony that had been our home for the past week. After the tour we walked around Las Olas Blvd checking out the shops and galleries. Then it was time to head back to the airport. It was a nice way to kill about 6 hours. It was cheaper than taking a tour and it was a good way to ease back into real life. Each time we cruise we consider a tour, but now we've ended up napping at the airport.
would the water tour you mention be the same as the water taxi I've heard about? Seems somebody said it stops at several hotels and other spots, $5 lets you get on and off at any stops you want?? thanks! I'm glad to know we can possibly check the luggage early at the airport and not have to keep it all with us! thanks again

In Ft. Lauderdale, I thought the Bonnet House was really interesting. You'd have to arrange transportation to and from, but it can't be more than a few miles from the port. I think it was about $10 per person to go in the house.[/quote

That was where the Amazing Race ended this season!

Archived