Need help on Boston - got a few ideas

Gingee

But no fast food or food you can buy the night before to bring to your room?

There's a grocery store right across the street from the Marriott, with a rather good selection of wine for those wanting to bring some on their cruise. There's also a Starbucks on the second level of the hotel.

I am arriving in Boston on May 3 for a May 4 cruise and wanted to stay at a Hilton w/ smoking. Found Homewood Suites in Arlington. How far is it from the hotel and how far [and how much by taxi] is it from the cruise port? Thanks - Good advice on all the other posts about things to do.icon7.gif

I am arriving in Boston on May 3 for a May 4 cruise and wanted to stay at a Hilton w/ smoking. Found Homewood Suites in Arlington. How far is it from the hotel and how far [and how much by taxi] is it from the cruise port? Thanks - Good advice on all the other posts about things to do.icon7.gif

Sorry I meant to ask how far is Homewood suites from the AIRPORT and how far is Homewood Suites from the Cruise port.

I would guesstimate Arlington is a $60 cab fare from Logan and probably a $45-50 cab fare from the port. I"d find a closer place even if more $$$. Read some of the posts here for tips, use priceline.com as 138 East suggests.

We finally made reservations at the LaQuinta in Somerville. Two couples are driving and one couple is flying.

We are driving our minivan so the six of us will be able to drive to church or restaurant for dinner. Does the 99 Restaurant in Somerville have good food? It doesn't look too far from the hotel.

Also, is parking available near the USS Constitution? I can't seem to find it mentioned in any of our travel books.

Is cab fare from the cruiseport around $20 to the airport? I think I saw somewhere where it would be around $24 to $27 from the LaQuinta to the cruiseport. Is this a close estimate?

Many thanks to everyone for the invaluable information posted here. It's really helped me. We're not staying where we thought we would be but at least we have rooms and if we don't get to see everything I wanted to see I can live with it. The ship is the destination, after all.

I do not want to sight see - just want to fly in, stay overnight and get on ship the next day. Need advice on hotel convenient to airport and cruise port - will be cabbing it or using shuttle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kept looking and found Doubletree Bayside with free airport shuttle and free cruise shuttle - $225 with tax but can get it free with my Hilton Points!icon7.gif

The LaQuinta wouldn't be my first pick.....

The 99 is a chain. Food is ok, but nothing to write home about. There is parking by the Constitution, but you will need to walk a little bit (also need to walk through a metal detector).

Not really where I preferred staying but when with others - you know how it goes.

Are there any restaurants near that area that you would recommend? Are there other stores, etc. nearby? Would it be safe to walk around that area?

I saw that there was a parking garage near Quincy Market/Fauneil Hall. Do you know if it fills up quickly on Saturday afternoons?

Thanks.

I'm not 100% familiar with the area. From what I recall, it's a busy area right off the highway (I think I've eaten at that 99 when I was in the area). I think there may be a Target in the vicinity, but not 100% on that.

Most of the garages only fill on weekends for events, so you should be OK.

Not really where I preferred staying but when with others - you know how it goes.

Are there any restaurants near that area that you would recommend? Are there other stores, etc. nearby? Would it be safe to walk around that area?

I saw that there was a parking garage near Quincy Market/Fauneil Hall. Do you know if it fills up quickly on Saturday afternoons?

Thanks.

As mentioned, it's a pretty industrial area, so not much reason to go walking there. There is transit in walking distance, though. Look it up on Google Maps and check out the surroundings. I believe we also discussed this property at length here on Cruise Critic in the past couple of months, use the search function to see.

For the great information about the LNF Marriott program. Staying at the Marriott Copley Place for 2 nights in July before a Canada/New England cruise. It looks ideally situated to visit Fenway Park with my grandson and maybe take a Duck Tour before the cruise. My daughter and grandaughter will be in New York for 4 nights prior to the cruise. Does anyone have any information about bargains in NY?

For the great information about the LNF Marriott program. Staying at the Marriott Copley Place for 2 nights in July before a Canada/New England cruise. It looks ideally situated to visit Fenway Park with my grandson and maybe take a Duck Tour before the cruise. My daughter and grandaughter will be in New York for 4 nights prior to the cruise. Does anyone have any information about bargains in NY?

Try the same site for the Algonquin.

I did look at that but am a little leary of the huge difference in prices for each day. However, if she doesn't have to put a deposit down, I don't see what she has to lose by giving it a try. We'll talk it over. And thanks again.

Oh is that mall kind of just look don't buy type of mall? Like in expensive?

It can be a little confusing when we talk about "the mall" that the Marriott Copley Place is attached to. The Marriott is IN the Copley Place mall, which is indeed one of those expensive look don't buy types of mall. (It's got a COACH store!) There isn't much cheap eats in this mall; there's an Au Bon Pan at the far end (near Back Bay Station, which is across the street with an underpass for bad weather). However, there is an enclosed bridge from the Marriott across Huntington Ave to the Prudential Center mall, which is much more reasonably priced.

At Prudential Center there is a California Pizza Factory (meh), a complete food court (I recommend Gourmet India and Boston Chowda) plus a Cheesecake Factory down the Huntington Avenue arcade and down to street level. There are some other street-level restaurants near that, or you can cross the mall and exit onto Boyleston St. where there are plenty of places of all kinds.

There's a Shaw's supermarket across the street from the Marriott, and a Trader Joe's on Boyleston St near the Prudential Center mall exit. The hotel is near three T stations (Green line and Orange line) and a number of bus lines. If you're a marathon fan, this is the neighborhood where the Boston Marathon ends. (Which is why the hotels are expensive at that time!)

Coach? Would love it if it was a outlet Coach but probably not.

No outlet ANYTHING in the Copley Mall. I think they just closed the Sony store, which was near the Marriott, next to Tiffany's. There used to be a Pink store but I guess the mall got too expensive for them because they moved to the Prudential Center mall. Really, I just mostly park there because they have a good deal if you get there before 9am and I used to work in the office building next door to the Marriott.

There's a big Microsoft store in the Prudential Center mall which is where you can play with some of those Surface tablet computers. That's the mall you'll probably want to buy stuff in.

Archived