Review of NCL Star Oct14-21 Bermuda

luv2cruise53

So let's begin the Grand Tour of Bermuda. Part 1 South Coast beaches.

Sidebar: Bermuda is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It has the highest per capita income in the world, and while everyone is not rich, they all have pride and a sense of their Island's beauty and signs of poverty and blight do not exist.

The road out of the dockyard is lined with shops and restaurants, and marinas and boat supply shops etc...Once out the gate of the dockyard, one is immediatly struck by the serenity and natural beauty of Bermuda. A 2 lane road, beautifully paved with no pot holes or other hazards, lined in the center and bordered by beautiful Bermuda grass(well groomed) and water and coves and inlets of the most aqua blue are seen on both sides. The road twists and curves over beautiful bridge formations and is lined with all sorts of palm trees and hibiscus and flowers and .....well gorgeous.

The road goes through a natural coral formaton and climbs and climbs to a peak where there is a fort which I went to on Friday. Next we descend and we wind through a small village of Somerset (Which is where I picked up batteries for the camera for 3.49 later in the day on the way home....I wish I had stopped earlier) Then after Somerset we bear right (same Road)and the road widens and the scenery changes to large fields of Bermuda Onions, and plantations with a lot of Oceanfront acreage. There is the famed Port Royal golf course on the right on the Ocean and then a little further down we have an option to go straight to Hamilton or a sharp right (new road) and an uphill to the South Coast Road. So...Right. This is perhaps without a doubt the most scenic and beautiful coastal road in the world, bar none.

These are thumbnails of the Views:

th_KevampBethsCruise071.jpgth_DSCF0584.jpgth_DSCF0556.jpgth_DSCF0552.jpg

There are many small areas to pull off whenever a perfect vista appears, and there are dozens and dozens of Pink Bus stops on both sides. A Pink Bus patron can get on and off any time and stop for all these beautiful views and accessible beaches as well. Also the areas provide a quick pull over for scooters if traffic behind you gets you nervous.

There are close to 7 or 8 accessible beaches off the upper coastal area of the South Road which we will explore later. The famous lighthouse which you can climb hoves into view and is a tourist attraction worth visiting. Next comes the famous Hotel and Golf Course, The Southampton princess. Located on the left in a series of beautiful valleys and an imposing facade that emenates luxury. Shortly thereafter on the right is the entrance to the world famous and top ten rated worldwide, Horseshoe Beach.

Next up: Hawaii Five Horseshoe

Kev:cool:

Edited by luv2cruise53

So turn right and head down the steep hill to the parking areas. At the top, or bottom is a van service that will take you down or up this imposing hill for $2.00 per person. Most walk down...most van up. I scootered down and up...a lot... So I parked my scooter, helmet in the center storage, grabbed my beach gear from the handy basket on the back and walked a few yards to the changing areas and snack concessions.

Perhaps the most perplexing aspect of this world famous beach and the Pride of Bermuda, is the complete and utter disregard that Bermuda shows for the rest rooms/changing/concession areas. They are as old as the hills and not very sanitary, rather run down and some would say border on disgusting...I agree, but if one has the option of their use, or none at all...then you deal....

Out of that and a few yards to the beach.

Now Pink Sand Beaches are the fame of Bermuda, and their existence is due to the erosion of the red coral formations that is the bedrock for the Island. As the red coral erodes it washes into the standard whiter coral and from a short distance as well as longer it appears quite pink.I have never witnessed this anywhere but in Bermuda. Just as in Hawaii there is a black sand beach from volcanic erosion, Bermuda is in the pink.

To the left is the main beach in the shape of....come on.....you know...guess....duh /... a horseshoe. LOL

th_DSCF0560.jpg

and to the right is a placid coral formation pool for families with tots to wade and play in:

th_DSCF0559.jpg

The beach has about 6 lifeguards on duty and this may be the only beach that has them, maybe not but it is the only one I have ever seen.

The beauty and the sands and the azure water and the somewhat iffy facilities make this the most popular beach in Bermuda, for both locals and tourists. When cruise ships are in port it is very...very....very crowded. I have heard Horseshoe referred by many as Cruise Ship Beach, and rightly so.

Today after Rafael the waves were literally and truly Humongous. Like Hawaii waves, beautiful and scary and at least 20 feet and curling perfectly like in a surf funnel. No surfers and the 6 lifeguards were overburdened with keeping swimmers to a narrow strip for safety, sort of in the middle. Out where the huge rollers were breaking first there were few people. Too dangerous, but many huge waves were breaking in closer and people were having a ball if they knew how to ride them and having a mess if not. Many were pounded into the sand, bathing suits falling off everywhere, sand in hair like medusa for many girls and all in all it was a hoot. I know how to ride them for bodysurfing and I plunged in and rode a few. But seriously it was exhausting just fighting thru the waves and ride and fight so in 10 mins I gave up and through my beach gear on the pink sand in a small postage stamp size plot between 2 towels. I mean there had to be at least 5000 people in a 1/4 mile strip of sand. Yikes...but fun:

th_DSCF0562.jpgth_DSCF0570.jpgth_DSCF0557-1.jpg

I sat out and laid out for about an hour and a half, and then I was hungry and sweaty and burned to a crisp and decided enough Hawaii five Horseshoe, lets go into Hamilton for Lunch and come back later in the day.

Easy to do on a scooter or the Pink bus so I packed my gear, showered in the facility, changed into Hamilton Clothing (Hamilton clothing reflects not beach ..as in clean shorts, nice tees or v neck, flip flops..OK but not Tanks and bathing suits. Tanks is discretionary and weather dependent...Girls tend to wear floppy type or stylish sun hats.)

So it is 2:30 and I scooter up the hill and and right out the main road to Hamilton.

Next up: the Grand tour continues.

Edited by luv2cruise53

So it's hot and sunny and I am on the South Coast Road scootering into Hamilton. After passing a few more gorgeous beaches you come to a park that is on the right and has a long road that leads to a promontory and open grassy area. This beautiful spot is famous for hosting cliffside outdoor weddings and to the left and scramble a path and some rocks is the most beautiful beach below, Pristine and colorful and usually empty because I am not sure if or how to actually get down there.

th_DSCF0554.jpgth_DSCF0544.jpgth_DSCF0552.jpg

So Back out and right and the beaches and views diminish and it becomes more citified. You pass the entrance to Elbow Beach and the Famed Elbow Beach hotel...later ...and come to a rotary. Now in general Rodeos scare the crap out of people but since we drive on the left they are a cinch. Just look right ...wait for ..opening and go left and leave when you want...I want first left which turns into a 2 lane one way...median...2 lane the other way....right into Downtown Hamilton. A couple of stop lights and look for parking on left in areas with scooter in the center of town. Turn in, park,(No Charge) and you are In Downtown Hamilton.

th_DSCF0510.jpg

So the Main Street is lovely with beautiful 2 and 3 story structures in modest pastels with second and third floor balconies. The Harborside is reserved for 2 Medium sized cruise ships but there are none in port today. I was famished so I crossed the street to my favorite comfort food haunt with a balcony called the ?? Pickled Onion maybe...or something like that...you know Kev and Names, and everything comfort in Bermuda is something onion anyways.....Up a steep flight of stairs ...restaurants tend to the 2nd and 3rd floors for balcony seating as the shops tend to the first level for street browsing.

Host sat me on patio and I ordered a frozen non-alcoholic Banana daiquiri and ordered a Roast beef dip and an Onion Soup.....Delish...as always.

Sat... relaxed and then paid ...$30.00 for meal, 2 frozen non-alcoholics and gratuity..a little pricy but it's bermuda so expect that. I descended and shopped for an hour at the beautiful, classy, upscale, Rodeo Drive type shops. and bought NADA cause I am not well off and needed nothing anyways. I buy small souveniers in the small shops and thats it...TG.

So back on my scooter and it is 5:00ish so I head back the way I came but decide to turn left into the Elbow Beach resort.

Next up: Elbow Beach

Edited by luv2cruise53

So I turned the scooter into the entrance for the Elbow Beach resort. After about a 1/4 mile I have the option to turn left into the resort or go down further to the public beach entrance. Being Kev I turn Left and park in the back less obtrusive parking area and walk to the hotel entrance and promontory overlooking the Ocean:

th_DSCF0519.jpg This Hotel is done in pastel yellow and is quite impressive. In order to get to the beach you must walk down through the resorts villas and enter next to their beach club, cananas and sports areas.

There is also a moongate here as well.

th_DSCF0521.jpg This is Kev in Hamilton Wear.

th_DSCF0531.jpg And this is the beautiful Beach

If I was of mind to towel it down I would need to move about 50 yards to the right and over some rocks to the public area because they are quite strict, unless your willing to spend $100.00 for their lunch in the seaside dining pavillion.

th_KevampBethsCruise082.jpg

So I walked the beach for a while and took in the ocean and then decide to head home to King's wharf, which I did.

But on the way the sun was setting and I decided to roll down the hill and take a shot at seeing sunset through the Horseshoe rock formations, which if done at exactly the right time and angle can produce an incredible photo. Being Kev I was exactly on time and at the right angle I snapped this impressive shot that has since won me some awards and a lot of ooooh's etc...

th_HorshoeBayBeachjpg.jpg Nice Ha???

So back up the hill and 1/2 hour later I am back at King's Wharf, just as it is getting dark...Park and back on board, The Beautiful Norwegian Star.

Next up: The night and the daze.

It's Heritage Wharf, not King's Wharf! Explorer OTS was docked at King's Wharf. ;)

If you have been following along you know that with Kev, Names and places are all relative. I try not to dwell on my lack of knowledge of names and try to weave a nice tale. In any event, knowledgeable people such as yourself are always there to make the corrections. Being from Bermuda you are bound to find many mistakes and take umbrage on my lacks as I tour your beautiful country.

keep up the good work:D

If you have been following along you know that with Kev, Names and places are all relative. I try not to dwell on my lack of knowledge of names and try to weave a nice tale. In any event, knowledgeable people such as yourself are always there to make the corrections. Being from Bermuda you are bound to find many mistakes and take umbrage on my lacks as I tour your beautiful country.

keep up the good work:D

Ha I was teasing you ... I do understand you having a bit of a brain fart but I was helping you. ;);)

Anyway, please keep up with your Bermuda stories and photos - they are excellent. :D:D

Edited by bluesea777

Dear loyal Followers;

Although this review started off in good faith and many of you have been avid fans, I seem to have noticed a distinct drop off of interest and I fear that my lack of postings have many of you giving up on the review. My Graduate studies are paeaking and I have not had the time to adequately update and for that I aologize.I can do better over TG Holiday, but

I am wondering if many of you would like me to do a quick wrap up and end this drawn out review or if you would like me to continue in the manner that the rest of the review has been written. It is up to you because I write for you and if we have beaten a dead horse then so be it.

What say you?

Dear loyal Followers;

Although this review started off in good faith and many of you have been avid fans, I seem to have noticed a distinct drop off of interest and I fear that my lack of postings have many of you giving up on the review. My Graduate studies are paeaking and I have not had the time to adequately update and for that I aologize.I can do better over TG Holiday, but

I am wondering if many of you would like me to do a quick wrap up and end this drawn out review or if you would like me to continue in the manner that the rest of the review has been written. It is up to you because I write for you and if we have beaten a dead horse then so be it.

What say you?

Kev - Please continue the saga as planned. To cut it short would be disappointing. We can just stay tunned........ :)

Kev,

I'm enjoying your writing and check for updates at least daily. We will be on the STAR in February and appreciate a good trip report.

I've written a few from my international travels (before I was married) but they probably aren't appropriate for a "public" forum! ;)

Good luck with your studies but rest assured the rest of us appreciate your writing on Cruise Critic.

Witling

Edited by Witling

And since you have all readily agreed that I keep going in the same manner...I will...and you should all know I appreciate your loyalty.

Next up: Tropical Beach party on Deck and the Dockyard club scene.:D

Edited by luv2cruise53

Photobucket is back up again after 5 days of nada. So earlier I posted thumbnails which were Ok but not great so due to popular demand I will repost pics in lkarger format OK?

My cabin showing lots of storage

bth_StarKingsWharf2012002.jpg?t=2254550640

The RCCL Exploere of the Seas docked at Kings Wharf in front of us.

bth_StarKingsWharf2012035.jpg?t=2254550640

The Star docked at "Heritage Wharf" behind the Explorer

bth_StarKingsWharf2012026.jpg?t=2254550640

The Moongate towards the end of the Dock

bth_StarKingsWharf2012027.jpg?t=2254550640

The Beautiful Norwegian Star

bth_StarKingsWharf2012061.jpg?t=2254550640

My Favorite Friends from Mount Desert Island Maine

bth_StarKingsWharf2012057.jpg?t=2254550640

Edited by luv2cruise53