Where to stay in New York, New York

pandora85345

At night it's lit up rather amazingly.

Of course ... I've only been there (outside a vehicle) once ... from the last two hours of December 31, 1999 into the very first hour and a half of Jan 1, 2000. :) It was far more crowded then than it will be when you visit. :)

General Max

I don't have any NY web sites bookmarked and haven't had time to look for any for you. It's my first week without relatives or my husband here to help with the baby. It's been pretty busy here! :)

I can answer some of your other questions. I don't think there are necessarily any neighborhoods in Manhattan that you should avoid. I have found that one street can seem great while the street next to it can seem more than a little shady. The east side of Manhattan is definitely safer than the west side (near the pier). Some streets on the lower east side can be a little shady. As a tourist, you will likely never be in the neighborhoods that are less savory. You don't have any reason to be there. I tend never to have a reason to be there either.

My advice is to pay close attention to your purse/wallet in touristy areas: Time Square, Battery Park (Statue of Liberty), Rockefeller Center, the Diamond District, etc.

As far as Times Square goes, the lights are on 24 hours a day, but they are definitely more impressive once it gets dark.

Carol Louise,

We probably did pass each other. New York is such a vibrant city full of life.

One of the highlights was the night we came out of seeing "Chicago" and walking down to Times Square. It was just so busy, everyone seemed to be out and about but most of all were the amazing lights.

I am sure Peter and I just stood there with our mouths open. Even though we have seen Times Square on the movies and on TV nothing prepares one for the colour and bright lights.

It was breathtaking and we will never forget the spectacle. ;) ;)

Jennie

calm seas, I was more concerned with the shipbuilders being several weeks or months behind schedule. If that was the case, the February 22, 2006 cruise. could be canceled. The inaugural cruise then would shift to a March or April sailing.

Cheers

General Max

Hello Kelly,

Yes, I have a question about NYC... so I don't get ripped off or get the grand tour of the burroughs on my way to the pier. What is the typical cab fare from LGA to the piers on the morning of the cruise ( I get in lga at 8:50 am). Thankyou.

Alan; I would strongly suggest flying into New York City one day early. Extreme winter weather does tend to close impacted airports. Continuing flights can also be delayed or canceled even when NYC and Wisconsin airports remain open. Just give it some thought as the Noordam will be at sea for the first two days and it will be difficult to catch up with us.

Cheers

General Max

I've never been from LGA to the piers but I would estimate $30-$40. The taxi should take you over the Triboro Bridge, across the city and down the West Side Highway.

As to Times Square, maybe we are jaded living here, but my wife and I pass through as quickly as possible. It is jammed with people, there are street vendors selling all kinds of total cr.p, people who want to draw your picture - it's like being in Calcutta. We head directly to the theatre or to our restaurant, and use the numbered streets north or south of Times Square to avoid walking through the mobs! It has also been "Disneyfied" with NBA stores, chain stores, ESPN Zone, etc.

Of course, in February, there are less mobs due to the weather...

Alan; I would strongly suggest flying into New York City one day early. Extreme winter weather does tend to close impacted airports. Continuing flights can also be delayed or canceled even when NYC and Wisconsin airports remain open. Just give it some thought as the Noordam will be at sea for the first two days and it will be difficult to catch up with us.

Cheers

General Max

While I hear what your saying General Max... unfortunately, my boss said I have to work through Tuesday afternoon,:rolleyes:, there is a flight that leaves at 5:50pm and gets in LGA at 8:25P which I'm going to try to make. But if not, its early Wednesday morning for me and what will be will be. Thats why one always gets insurance for those possible snafus that could crop up:eek:. Hope you have a great cruise, you really are on this board alot!

I've never been from LGA to the piers but I would estimate $30-$40. The taxi should take you over the Triboro Bridge, across the city and down the West Side Highway.

Much thanks, stefhef... thats what I was looking for.

These boards are the greatest!

Archived