Where to stay in New York, New York

pandora85345

The unlimited MetroCards only come in 1, 7, and 30 day increments. The 1 day cards are $7 a piece while the 7 day cards are only $24, for a four day trip that would probably be your best option. Each subway ride is $2 so after only 12 rides it's like riding for free. Or at least that's how I like to look at it when I shell out $76 a month for one of the 30 day cards.

Thank you, Lindsay. I will buy the 7 day passes and we will give them away after we are done with them. Two lucky people in New York City will have a free pass for three days. (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)

Cheers

General Max

Thanks, Kelly. Again you come through for us. Staying at the Marriott Midtown East we should be right on the Lexington Line.

By the way, has it cooled down yet up there. It won't get cool here until October.

Cheers

General Max

General Max

You are welcome. You are correct; the 4,5 and 6 trains will be the ones that you will use most since you are staying on the east side. The shuttle from Grand Central to Times Square will be helpful also.

I am not sure about the weather. I had symptoms of premature labor last week, so I was at the hospital for 4 days and now I am on bedrest. I am allowed up to use the bathroom. I got permission to check my email for about 10 mnutes twice a day, which gives me the chance to check in on all of you. I was glad to see that there weren't any urgent NYC questions that went unanswered while I was away! In good news, they stopped my contractions and the goal is to keep this baby where she is for at least 2 more weeks!! My doctor seems to think that will happen. I wasn't due till August 16th, so she will likely be here early. At least we had the crib already.

Kelly

Kelly, you don't need to be checking everyday for NYC questions. I will keep the thread going. The important thing is that baby and you need to shoot for more than two weeks. Target August 1. And stay off yor feet.

Jeez, now I'm sounding like a Doctor. My Daughter-in-law, MacKenzie is expecting in September and she looks like she's ready next week.

Cheers

General Max

I will buy the 7 day passes and we will give them away after we are done with them. Two lucky people in New York City will have a free pass for three days. (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)

Ummm .... why give them away??

:confused:

I was under the impression that the card machines will issue a MetroCard after feeding it 5,10,20 dollar notes. Whatever is left can be used for your next visit to NY. Think the cards are valid for a year after the purchase date. And, if you need to 'refill' the fares, you can do that at the machine as well.

Unless the MTA changed the procedures (again...)

:rolleyes:

And, if a cop sees you giving the card away, there's the possibility of being arrested for 'scalping'.

Max

Thanks for the concern! I don't mind checking on all of you when I check my email. It helps me to feel useful. Having to leave work this early makes me feel a bit useless! Wish your daughter-in-law all the best from me.

As far as the metro-cards go, it depends on the type of card whether or not you can use them on your next trip. If you buy a "cash card" which would mean putting any denomination of money on a card to use on a per ride basis, you could use that card again. I think it expires after one year. Each ride would cost $2. Each time you run the card through the turnstyle, $2 would be deducted from the total you put on the card. If there is money left, you can use it up to 1 year later.

You talked about using a "fun pass" rather than a per ride cash card. There are 1-day, 7-day and 30-day unlimited metrocards for various prices ($7, $24, $76). These expire after 1,7 and 30 days. YOu can use them as many times as you want prior to the expiration. I think to prevent multiple people from using one unlimited card that there is a 10 minute waiting period between uses of a card. Each person in your group would need to purchase one. If there are days left on the card, you could give them to someone else to use for the remaining days. I really doubt you would get arrested for scalping. There has been bit of an issue with people (teenagers) offering to swipe a card through the turnstyle for you for $2. You hand them cash at the turnstyle and they swipe an unlimited card for you. They buy a few unlimited cards to beat that same card waiting period and make a bunch of money buy charging people to swipe the cards. This is illegal and they are cracking down a bit on this. Give the card to someone at your hotel. I'm sure they would be glad to have it.

Kelly

as a New Yorker feel free to contact me via email with specific questions. I" live 35 miles from Manhattan, and we have had wonderful luck in hotel rooms by bidding on a room thru Priceline. The city is divided into many zones, and you can just bid on 4 star hotels and get great prices. Here are some websites to look through- you can always get 1/2 price tickets at the booth each day. If you have any questions, you can email me directly at whenzuc@aol.com. i will be away until 7/11.

http://www.nyctourist.com/tourist-info.php

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm

For my cruise on the Noordam's Maiden Voyage in Feb 2006, I am booked into the Rihga Hotel. Price ($219 per night) was hard to believe considering it's called a "Suite" until I booked and saw the total. In all, it is quite a bit cheaper than the Waldorf, and only a little more expensive than the Holiday Inn Manhattan ... but MUCH more posh than either.

Anyone who is interested, check their website:

http://www.rihgaroyalny.com

If you're thinking about spending anything in the neighborhood of $150+ a night, think about booking the Rihga. But hurry ... at those prices, this posh hotel will book up fast.

RevNeal

What a lovely hotel. You certainly have found a bargain. I looked at the tariff for when we are staying and it is on a par with our hotel. The Rhiga being a suite hotel, probably gives you more space but I like the position of where we are staying right in Murray Hill. I will keep it in mind for our next visit to NYC whenever that will be!

Jennie

6 of us are taking the Maiden voyage of the Noordam on Feb. 22. None of us have ever been to New York so we feel a bit lost. What airport do we fly in to? What is the name of the port we sail from? And finally, we are flying in the day before and haven't a clue where to stay any recommendation's? Thanks so much for all your help. Pandora 85345

By the time you reach the city from the airport with all of your luggage the afternoon will be pretty well shot. The next morning you will want to reach the pier about noon. Having been to NYC many times, I would suggest that you book a good hotel in the Times Square area and enjoy the scene there. You can either eat dinner at the hotel or find a nearby resturant. I suggest that you follow the principle of KISS (Keep it simple s...) and keep in mind that your objective is to arrive at the ship on time. Your ship will leave from 54th Street and 12th Avenue, at least that is where the ramp to the embarkation area is located. Arrange with the hotel bell captain to get you a van or two to take all of your luggage to the ship. Logistics with this many people and luggage is a major consideration, especially considering the short amount of time you will be in the city. I just went through the same experience and chose to stay in a hotel at the airport and hire a limo to take us into the docks in the city. It worked out great and I didn't miss the city that much. My objective was to get onto the ship early and minimize the amount of stress in the process. If you were staying in the city for two or more days I would make a different recommendation.

Ruffin

Reverend Neal, Mrs Max and I owe you a drink on the Noordam. I just switched my reservation from the Marriott Midtown East to the Rihga Royal. We are arriving on Friday Night, February 17, 2006 for 5 nights.

Age 62 or a "AAA"member get a discount off that $219 rate. Also reservations said check back later in the winter for "Special Winter Rates"

Cheers

General Max

General ... I'm looking forward to collecting on that drink! ;)

I'll be checking in on Sunday night; I would love to stay longer, but I really need to be in Church that Sunday morning. Still, 3 nights and 2 full days plus embarkation day isn't bad for a pre-cruise stay. :) I've got a full Tuesday planned (a Broadway show, among other things) and I plan on visiting Ground Zero on Monday; I've not been in New York since 91101.

Reverend Neal, what play are you going to on Tuesday? We ordered tickets for "Spamalot" several weeks ago for the Sunday afternoon 3:00 PM matinee.

Mrs Max and I haven't been to New York City since before the World Trade Towers were built and since obliterated. We are going to visit the site but I don't know which day.

Cheers

General Max

We ordered tickets for "Spamalot" several weeks ago for the Sunday afternoon 3:00 PM matinee.

Spamalot. :)

In the evening on Tuesday.

Vic is taking me.

Which reminds me ... I need to get those tickets.

Reverend Neal, don't procrastinate on those tickets. Three or four months out they are hard to get. I didn't have to much trouble and I had them mailed regular mail. Received them in about 10 days.

I wonder how many of our cruisemates on the Noordam are also going to this play. By the way, I think we are 3 or 4 decks above your "H" cabin.

Cheers

General Max

I wonder how many of our cruisemates on the Noordam are also going to this play. By the way, I think we are 3 or 4 decks above your "H" cabin.

Could be quite a few. :) I'll be getting those tickets within the next few days. I need to check with vic to see if he has any suggestions as to seating locations, etc.

Oh, and I won't be in an H ... I'll be in J-1037 ... my favorite cabin on a Vista's Maindeck.

We booked VA 5080 which is an aft verandah. I think its on the verandah deck. Also booked early dining upper and will try the Pinnacle Grill on the first night. 8:30 reservations.

We'll go early to our regular dining time to meet our dinner mates, have a glass of wine and just an appetizer. Maybe try the soup that night.

We bought orchestra seats for Spamalot, row L or M on the left. Odd numbered seats are on left.

Cheers

General Max and Mrs Max

We stayed at the Rhiga Royal about 5 years ago. It is a fine hotel. Not the fanciest (like the St. Regis or the Peninsula) but certainly more than adequate. We had a nice room. The location is terrific too.

We stayed at the Rhiga Royal about 5 years ago. It is a fine hotel. Not the fanciest (like the St. Regis or the Peninsula) but certainly more than adequate. We had a nice room. The location is terrific too.

The Warwick on 54 and 6Av is another nice option.

Same locale as the Righa, St Regis, Peninsula.. close to everything. "Fanciness" is left to the guest. Rihga is a modern structure .... the others are from the Edwardian era.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. (Not to mention the architectural style.)

:)

Archived