Breakfast in the MDR??

qbanrican84

I'm curious about how this works, too. Going on the Liberty in three weeks and unsure about the dining room for breakfast/lunch/brunch/whatever.

It looks like the dining room is open on sea days from 8 AM to 10 AM and 12 PM to 2 PM or something like that. But are both brunch times or is the earlier breakfast and the later brunch? Or something else?

And the dining room isn't open on port days at these times, right? Is it open on debarkation day at all or is it just the buffet?

Thanks.

We love breakfast in the MDR. We are early risers and usually are waiting at the door for breakfast service. Unfortunately now on Sea Days we are forced to wait until the MDR opens at 9 for Brunch. We don't do breakfast at Lido for many of the reasons already stated. Lines, more hectic, more noise...

I believe the MDR opens at 9AM for Brunch on Sea Days. I wish CCL would serve the breakfast at the normal (earlier) time on one half of the dining room on Sea Days.

Unless you are going to be sailing on the Miracle, you have no worries. The Brunch is now available on the Breeze, Conquest, Dream, Liberty, Magic and Miracle. Next in line are the Glory (Nov), Splendor (Dec), Fantasy (Jan), Fascination (Jan), and Sunshine (April).

All of these ships except the Miracle have two dining rooms. On sea days, one dining room will have the brunch starting around 930 or 10:00 and ending around 2:00 , while the other dining room will still have traditional breakfast and lunch sittings. The exception to this is the Miracle and any other Spirit class ships that may have the Brunch in the future. Since they have only 1 dining room, then the Brunch is the only option on sea days.

With regards to port days, the MDR is open earlier for breakfast to accommodate those going ashore and is closed at lunch time. On embarkation day, the MDR is also closed at lunch time. But, on those ships that have the 2.0 upgrades like the Liberty, there are a plethora of cooked to order dining choices on the Lido such as Guy's Burgers, the Blue Iguana Cantina, the Mongolian Wok, etc.

Link for breakfast and lunch menus~

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningMenus.html

if you're going on a ship with the punchliner comedy brunch here's the menu for that~

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Magic

Carnival Dream

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Glory

Carnival Splendor (December 2012)

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/PunchlinerBrunchMenupdf.ashx

thanks! that was helpful and made me hungry! lol

They always ask us if we mind sharing with other people, we always share though. You can meet interesting people that way . :)

Yea, we might try this again this cruise. We met a great couple on our honeymoon, and one year anniversary cruises, but after a horrible experience with a father and his 2 older children, (VERY racist/prejudice against the waiters, and were very rude and awkward towards us) we've decided to just sit by ourselves to not have anything ruin our good time. I swear those people traumtaized me :mad:

We ate breakfast 2 out of 3 days on our recent Sensation cruise and found the service to be fairly fast. Not only was it more relaxing than eating in the buffet, there were items not offered in the buffet including waffles with whipped cream and strawberries, more juice choices, turkey bacon, chicken sausage, smoked salmon, etc.

I am VERY excited about the chicken sausage and the Turkey Bacon! :)

I never knew they had these options, and was alwasy grumpy about all the pork for breakfast everywhere we go lol :o I'm sold on these alone and the waffles

Every Carnival Cruise that I have been on the Eggs Benedict are placed on top of an English Muffin half, not a Croissant.

Thats what that rubbery sponge thing was supposed to be? Either way it sucks.

No big deal though, I dont cruise for Eggs Benedict. If I did I would book HAL. Sure a properly cooked breakfast item would be nice but its not a deal breaker. The punchliner brunch is for me though lol.

thanks! that was helpful and made me hungry! lol

Yea, we might try this again this cruise. We met a great couple on our honeymoon, and one year anniversary cruises, but after a horrible experience with a father and his 2 older children, (VERY racist/prejudice against the waiters, and were very rude and awkward towards us) we've decided to just sit by ourselves to not have anything ruin our good time. I swear those people traumtaized me :mad:

Unfortunately there are those people you want to just throw off the ship. Two cruises ago was the first time my wife and I cruised alone with no group, so we sat with people we didn't know at our dinner table. The first night we were standing in line at our MDR, we were up front with one couple in front of us, the lady went and talked to the maitre'd before the doors opened. Ended up that couple sat with us and one other couple. About the fourth day at the table while we were all talking, the lady said when she was talking with the maitre'd she was asking if they could get their own table, but after the first night she went back to the maitre'd and told him never mind :). We all still keep in contact through email and FB. Next cruise we were not as lucky, they weren't bad people, just didn't click as well. So you just never know.

Unless you are going to be sailing on the Miracle, you have no worries. The Brunch is now available on the Breeze, Conquest, Dream, Liberty, Magic and Miracle. Next in line are the Glory (Nov), Splendor (Dec), Fantasy (Jan), Fascination (Jan), and Sunshine (April).

All of these ships except the Miracle have two dining rooms. On sea days, one dining room will have the brunch starting around 930 or 10:00 and ending around 2:00 , while the other dining room will still have traditional breakfast and lunch sittings. The exception to this is the Miracle and any other Spirit class ships that may have the Brunch in the future. Since they have only 1 dining room, then the Brunch is the only option on sea days.

This is not true. It was advertised that any ship with Punchliner Brunch that has 2.0 upgrades the MDR would have the Brunch in one MDR and traditional breakfast/time in the other MDR. But after reading many comments here on CC where the other MDR wasn't opened at all and guest services basically told those cruisers to go to Brunch or Lido.

So I verified with several CCL folks and indeed the second MDR will not be opened for breakfast on sea days like advertised. (Sore subject for us as I stated in earlier, we are at the door waiting for the MDR to open for breakfast.)

But, on those ships that have the 2.0 upgrades like the Liberty, there are a plethora of cooked to order dining choices on the Lido such as Guy's Burgers, the Blue Iguana Cantina, the Mongolian Wok, etc.

FOr us, all of these options still doesn't eliminate waiting in multiple lines, hectic & noisy atmosphere, etc.

I am VERY excited about the chicken sausage and the Turkey Bacon! :)

I never knew they had these options, and was alwasy grumpy about all the pork for breakfast everywhere we go lol :o I'm sold on these alone and the waffles

Besides the chicken sausage, which is very good, there is also baked apples as a fruit option.

You mentioned the MDR isn't open for breakfast after all when Punchliner is offered...what about lunch? I'd guess no.

Everyone seems to conflict re: these details.

So Punchliner is available on sea days, right? Is breakfast available on port days in the MDR?

I don't get it. :)

This is not true. It was advertised that any ship with Punchliner Brunch that has 2.0 upgrades the MDR would have the Brunch in one MDR and traditional breakfast/time in the other MDR. But after reading many comments here on CC where the other MDR wasn't opened at all and guest services basically told those cruisers to go to Brunch or Lido.

So I verified with several CCL folks and indeed the second MDR will not be opened for breakfast on sea days like advertised. (Sore subject for us as I stated in earlier, we are at the door waiting for the MDR to open for breakfast.)

You mentioned the MDR isn't open for breakfast after all when Punchliner is offered...what about lunch? I'd guess no.

So Punchliner is available on sea days, right? Is breakfast available on port days in the MDR?

thanks be to God..I am not alone:).

I have only been on a 4 day and a 5 day and have only used the mayhem in the Lido model and or room service..Sarah

I think not all ships will be the same..."Usually" you will find the hours of service in the newsletter delivered to your cabin each evening. I'd check that before heading out assuming that hours are standard from ship to ship and port vs. sea day.

Its not like anyone will go hungry since the Lido buffet is open "every" day for breakfast, lunch and dinner but the "specialty" areas may not be. Again, check the newsletter.

Being from Florida, we never seem to have priority in getting off the ship early. So our cruise tradition for the last morning of the cruise is to check out of the cabin as required and go directly to the MDR for breakfast while we wait to clear customs. It beats sitting in a crowded public area.

we are at the door waiting for the MDR to open for breakfast.

FOr us, all of these options still doesn't eliminate waiting in multiple lines, hectic & noisy atmosphere, etc.

If the policies that Carnival has in place and the fact that the innovative cooked to order options on the Lido deck are not to your liking either, then maybe Carnival is not the right cruise line for you. The Tutti salad bar for lunch on sea days on RCI is fabulous. Also, since you like to get up at the crack of dawn and are "waiting at the door for the MDR to open for breakfast", combined with your disdain of a hectic and noisy atmosphere...maybe Holland America sailing with the blue hairs would be a better option.

After 16 cruises on Carnival, the limited offerings at the MDR during lunch are an absolute joke. This is one aspect of my recent RCI cruise that I rather enjoyed on sea days. Their Tutti salad bar was delicious and the size of the lunch menu was twice as big as Carnival's. On a positive note, with all of the cooked to order options now available up on Lido on those ship's that have the 2.0 upgrades.....there are not enough days on the ship to enjoy them all.

I don't know if brunch has both breakfast and lunch options and i see the menu posted here now (thanks) and will look..and thank you to all discussing..I also see it is changed around which sounds cool..on the long cruise to Hawaii if I choose on Miracle and it is always brunch, i was looking forward to both breakfast and lunch in main dining room sometimes...but can deal..i may however do some research on prices on other ships and dining and music options..just thinking outloud...Sarah

Yes, breakfast is served in the MDR on port days.

I don't know if brunch has both breakfast and lunch options and i see the menu posted here no and will look..and thank you..I also see it is changed around which sounds cool..on the long cruise to Hawaii i was looking forward to both breakfast and lunch in main dining room sometimes...but can deal...Sarah

The brunch lasts long enough for you to get two meals - go earlier and go later.. ;)

The brunch lasts long enough for you to get two meals - go earlier and go later.. ;)

That is an idea....:). Just like the idea of quality time with my dad and being able to talk some... the timing is kind of good; perhaps perfect for us as well as cost..will need to wait a month or two to book....but think we may really like it and dad will be more comfortable after Disney prices to consider.....Sarah

I will make an appearance in the MDR for brunch probably because of the menu. I guess the reason that I like Lido for breakfast is that I usually go for cereal for DD and I, fruit and maybe a side of bacon. I don't want to wait for those things, since I could go get those at the buffet and be back in a few minutes. Now if I was getting an omlet, eggs, etc., it would be a different story, but I usually don't eat those. I usually prefer being served as well, but breakfast for me (and DD) is usually more of a quick bite. Its funny because when we go out to eat I like to order breakfast foods (like eggs, pancakes), but Carnival's are just are not all that great. I saw multiple things on punchliner's menu that I liked. Just figuring out how I am going to manage to try all of those things. Good thing I usually get food for DD and I to share :D.

I saw multiple things on punchliner's menu that I liked. Just figuring out how I am going to manage to try all of those things. Good thing I usually get food for DD and I to share :D.

Since the Brunch is open for about 4 1/2 hours, you could have something to eat on the front end, like the funny french toast, which takes care of your breakfast cravings and then at the opposite end of the sitting, your lunch time craving can be satisfied with the hen alla diavola or the mac n' cheese with applewood bacon.

Archived