Breakfast in the MDR??

qbanrican84

Breakfast and Lunch in the MDR is much more relaxing than the lido deck. Breakfast in my opinion is basic, the same items you get on lido or room service. Lunch on the other hand is wonderful. My DH and I went to just try it out one day and vowed to also have lunch in MDR on Sea Days...it was excellent and different than the buffet!

We ate breakfast 2 out of 3 days on our recent Sensation cruise and found the service to be fairly fast. Not only was it more relaxing than eating in the buffet, there were items not offered in the buffet including waffles with whipped cream and strawberries, more juice choices, turkey bacon, chicken sausage, smoked salmon, etc.

Next time in the MDR when you order Eggs Benedict ask for the Hollandaise Sauce to be served on the side. The eggs seem to be made to order.

Thats what people say to do but the eggs are still overdone on top of a crappy gummy rubber croisant. I shouldnt have to correct something they could have done in the first place.

Not a slam on you, I appreciate the info and suggestion.

I just found out the eggs benedict on my upcoming Princess cruise are just as bad, lol. Oh well

We love breakfast in the MDR IF the service is good. This can vary from ship to ship; the Freedom 2 weeks ago had excellent service.

I love someone refilling my coffee for me. I don't have to have much food for breakfast (or any meal, for that matter) and I prefer a more relaxing atmosphere. DH orders many more items for breakfast than I do; so don't think you won't get your fill. You can order as many items as you would like.

Did MDR breakfast on the Destiny a few years ago and were sat with a great group of older (70ish) group on a high school reunion from Brooklyn. We were the only table seated and it turned out to ne a highlight of our trip.

The service was fast, I guess the food was pretty basic, but that's how we like our breakfasts. Much better than getting food thats been sneezed on 20 times.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

we do breakfast in the mdr on disembarkation day while the other few thousand are fighting for a seat in the buffet area i can already be seated and eating.

on this day we are never given the option to dine alone or with others...and it is crowded in there

We discovered eating breakfast in the MDR about 3 cruises ago and we LOVE it. So relaxing and in our opinion the food is better. We cruise with our granddaughter (5 yrs old now) and she has never had trouble finding something she liked for breakfast. We will definitely be eating in the MDR for breakfast on our upcoming Breeze cruise.

We love breakfast in the MDR. The service is usually good. If you are on a ship with the Punchliner Brunch, and don't want to hear the comedians get there at 9:00 when it opens. The 1st comedian comes on at 10:00 so you can get out of there before they start. Also, I ordered the funny french toast at the punchliner brunch it comes with cereal baked onto the slices. I had Fruit Loops and it was bizarre. I ended up scraping off the Fruit Loops and eating it that way.

Eggs Benedict:

Some think I destr0y it, but it's just my way. Plus it means I always get a freshly made plate. "Yes please, I'll have the eggs benedict with scrambled eggs, thank you".... "Excuse me?".... "Yes, I hate over easy, scrambled instead please!"

Trust me it's good.

I'll admit, we are buffet folks mostly. I love to have food served to me, but.....have issues with meals in the MDR.... always long, something is always not delivered and the last two cruises we had not the best waiters ( would a good morning or hello hurt?). Not to mention dancing waiters etc...

This being said, on a 7 day cruise we have about 3 MDR meals, including a breakfast last time. For us:

I like that we get a table we want, we request no guests and always get it.

At breakfast I order potaotes or meat and dislike the small portions. I like tasbasco with my eggs. Last cruise twice for meals I asked for it, never got it? Service was slow. We saw the elusive waiter with the sweet rolls walk by, table to table, and we were never lucky enough to grab him. The wait to get a refill of juice...ughhhhh

Now, often people have a problem with lines at the buffet, I can see that, but we are saved by having more odd meal times, breakfast, my wife, young daughter (8) and I are in the buffet area by 6:30 and for evening meal we eat at about 4:30 (unless in port still).

So we tend to avoid the lines.

the Eggs Benedict are the worst on the planet. Sure some say you can make your own, but I am on vacation and refuse to make something that should have been done right the first time.

If you like Eggs Benedict, all you need to do is ask them for the sauce on the side and then they will be made for you fresh to order and not be sitting under a heat lamp drying out.

We will definitely be eating in the MDR for breakfast on our upcoming Breeze cruise.

Don't forget to try the Punchliner's Brunch on one of your sea days. The link to the menu is below:

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/PunchlinerBrunchMenupdf.ashx

The carne y huevos sounds really good.

I like the breakfast in the MDR. It is much more leisurely and takes longer than going to the Lido. Also, it tends to have a very basic menu, which is why my wife tends to like the Lido better. Plus, she can grab what she wants and eat it and we can move on.

I have never had an issue with the sauce on the eggs bennedict, though. Granted, it's not as good as some land restaurants may be, but still not problematic as others seem to suggest.

I'm curious about how this works, too. Going on the Liberty in three weeks and unsure about the dining room for breakfast/lunch/brunch/whatever.

It looks like the dining room is open on sea days from 8 AM to 10 AM and 12 PM to 2 PM or something like that. But are both brunch times or is the earlier breakfast and the later brunch? Or something else?

And the dining room isn't open on port days at these times, right? Is it open on debarkation day at all or is it just the buffet?

Thanks.

On sea days..is it only a Brunch now in ships that do it?? Or is the brunch only one day and other days breakfast and lunch?? Thanks...

We love breakfast in the MDR. We are early risers and usually are waiting at the door for breakfast service. Unfortunately now on Sea Days we are forced to wait until the MDR opens at 9 for Brunch. We don't do breakfast at Lido for many of the reasons already stated. Lines, more hectic, more noise...

It looks like the dining room is open on sea days from 8 AM to 10 AM and 12 PM to 2 PM or something like that. But are both brunch times or is the earlier breakfast and the later brunch? Or something else?

Thanks.

I believe the MDR opens at 9AM for Brunch on Sea Days. I wish CCL would serve the breakfast at the normal (earlier) time on one half of the dining room on Sea Days.

We enjoy the MDR for breakfast. We alway bring pure maple syrup with us, as DH will not tolerate the fake stuff. We bring enough so we can share with our tablemates. We have met some very nice and interesting people at breakfast. The syrup is a nice ice breaker and it gives us a chance to explain the syrup making process. People are always very curious about that. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of buffets, I like to have my breakfast made to order.

Archived