Breakfast in the MDR??

qbanrican84

We enjoy the MDR on sea days - relaxing and pampering. The menu is as good as any breakfast menu we might go out for at home.

On port days we do room service and eat at leisure while we get ready for our excursions. We always order double coffee - it's nice to have it in the room and gives us a bit more sleep time on the port days.:)

If the policies that Carnival has in place and the fact that the innovative cooked to order options on the Lido deck are not to your liking either, then maybe Carnival is not the right cruise line for you. The Tutti salad bar for lunch on sea days on RCI is fabulous. Also, since you like to get up at the crack of dawn and are "waiting at the door for the MDR to open for breakfast", combined with your disdain of a hectic and noisy atmosphere...maybe Holland America sailing with the blue hairs would be a better option.

Perhaps I needed to provide a little more detail. We like to enjoy our sea days at a relaxing pace (save the running for port days.) So starting off the day at Lido going to one line for cooked to order eggs, then other for breakfast meat, then another line for coffee. Go find a table. By the time everyone in our family has gotten to the table your food is cold. Want a refill, get back in line.

Yes some will say each person go to a different station. That may or may not work depending on if the bacon police are out.

A lot of people like Lido, but for us breakfast at Lido isn't a good option.

Yes, since this change, we have thought about trying other lines, but Holland would not be one of them.

The buffets are a madhouse. Having breakfast in the dining room is more relaxing.

MUCH more relaxing. Unless you're rushed to get off the ship always consider having breakfast in the main dining room. You can get your eggs cooked to order too.

Could not agree more....sleep in if desired and a different menu with innovative items sounds very appealing...

I messed up, I somehow left out the word "not". Its cool some folks like it though.

Not for me, I prefer a regular breakfast with no yuk yuk flappin his gums while I eat. As long as they still offer a regular breakfast I will sail Carnival again.

If the policies that Carnival has in place and the fact that the innovative cooked to order options on the Lido deck are not to your liking either, then maybe Carnival is not the right cruise line for you.

What innovative cook to order items are for breakfast on Carnivals Lido? I haven't sailed Carnival since this last June but the only cook to order item was an omelette but I wouldn't call that innovative. Of course that ship didnt have the 2.0 stuff.

What innovative cook to order items are for breakfast on Carnivals Lido? I haven't sailed Carnival since this last June but the only cook to order item was an omelette but I wouldn't call that innovative. Of course that ship didnt have the 2.0 stuff.

Wasn't talking about breakfast.....was talking about lunch and all of the cooked to order options that are available. You are correct about the only things available for breakfast cooked to order are either an omelet or eggs as you like them, unless you're sailing on a ship with the Cantina, then you can get a breakfast burrito.

We love the MDR for breakfast on sea days. The egg benedict is good if you ask for the sauce on the side, that is hardly making your own, just pouring your own sauce.

If you order eggs benedict and don't ask for it on the side it will be congealed and kinda gross from sitting under the heat lamps, and then I would agree the worst. But if you get the sauce on the side it's fresh made and very good IMO.

Also LOVE the fresh pineapple juice, you can't get that in the buffet that I've ever seen, I hate waiting in lines and looking for a table, I really hate the buffet if the truth be told, so for us it's a no brainer.

Lunch in the MDR is nice too, again, not overcrowded and they seat you and serve you, I like it!!!!

Carole

On our last cruise we ate breakfast in the MDR almost every morning including the very last morning & loved it. I enjoy going to the lido for coffee early to catch the sunrise & take in the ship before everyone wakes up.

Also LOVE the fresh pineapple juice, you can't get that in the buffet that I've ever seen

Carole

I also enjoy the pineapple juice in the MDR, either by itself or mixed with grapefruit juice, but it is canned, not fresh. The baked apples and the chicken sausage are also two items that are in the MDR only and not available on Lido.

Pineapple juice for breakfast, my favorite!!

Unless we wake up late, we go to the MDR for breakfast. Buffet lines are not my favorite so if I can avoid them I will. We do the Lido buffet only if we miss breakfast, need a late lunch after an excursion, or if we stay on the ship while in port and there are no lines.

What is excruciatingly slow service...2 hrs, an hour, 45 minutes? Inquiring minds would like to know. (And I'm not being facetious....I often wonder how folks qualify time.)

For me 45 minutes to an hour spent over breakfast (sit down to stand up) while on vacation would be just about right. I hate to eat and run.

I love having breakfast in the MDR. The buffet always seem really chaotic and hate the long line to for the omelette stations. The MDR has a decent selection and I can still order my omelettes or eggs to order. I also find I eat better proportions, where as on the buffet I go a little nuts :o MDR is relaxing and service has always been efficient. I do notice things do take a bit longer if sitting with a larger group, but if dining alone it has always been really quick.

Buffet is great if you are in a hurry on port days and need a quick bite before disembarking. But whenever possible, I choose the MDR.

I love breakfast in the main dining room. My favorite is the eggs benedict. I didn't have any issues with the hollandaise sauce but I get smoked salmon instead of ham so maybe that's why - doesn't have to sit under the heat lamp because they have to make it special for me.

Wasn't talking about breakfast.....was talking about lunch and all of the cooked to order options that are available. You are correct about the only things available for breakfast cooked to order are either an omelet or eggs as you like them, unless you're sailing on a ship with the Cantina, then you can get a breakfast burrito.

Sorry, I figured you were talking breakfast since the topic was breakfast and that I have not sailed 2.0 ship yet.

Sorry, I figured you were talking breakfast since the topic was breakfast and that I have not sailed 2.0 ship yet. I was hoping maybe they had a crepe station or something like that.

If you eat breakfast right when they open around 6, you'll fine lines pretty non-existant. The latest we eat is 7 and it's right after we finish that we notice lines forming. We do find the few times we had breakfast in the MDR, it took longer.

If you eat breakfast right when they open around 6, you'll fine lines pretty non-existant. The latest we eat is 7 and it's right after we finish that we notice lines forming. We do find the few times we had breakfast in the MDR, it took longer.

That's because most of the staff is helping in the buffet. I would guess only 10% or less of the pax eat in the MDR for breakfast or lunch so you'll only be getting 10% of the staff.

My DW and I started to go the the MDR for breakfast to get the low cal., low fat, low cholesterol options. Hey, one out of 3 (or 4) meals isn't bad.:D

What we really linked was getting to sit with a new group of people each day and find out about them and chat and ask questions about the cruise, ports, etc.

WOW, it's just like Cruise Critic without the sarcasm and rudeness!;)

I must be one lucky SOG, it has never taken longer than 30 min from the time get to the door, to the time I get my food in the MDR. After I get my food it might take me some time to eat cause I'm chit chating with my table mates, but that's on me. If someone goes through the buffet much faster than that, they must be a chow hound ( army phrase ) :)

I had breakfast in dining room the last day, I like to sit there as long as possible LOL

I enjoy the eggs benedict ...I order them with the sauce on the side and I always order lemon slices..> I like to put the lemon slices i my water and also squeeze some on top of the hollandaise sauce for the benedicts...very tasty :)

(JMO if you don't order the sauce on the side it is too dry, browned)

Archived