Holland America Vs Cebebrity

Holidaycraze

About to book Jan 28th solstice NZ/Australia 18 day..but also have on hold oosterdam.

Any comments comparing our other choice 25 day holland America - new Zealand/Australia - with the big difference being New Caledonia - south pacific islands that we won't get on the celebrity. I have been on Oosterdam before - smaller ship. Has anyone done New calendonia/south pacific and have suggestions ? We have friends in Perth - which is where the Solstice ends so we can explore for few days instead of seeing the south pacific. Help!

on both ships and far prefer Solstice....it's a great ship! Been on "O" many times as she was home ported in San Diego until just recently...have been to Perth...it looks alot like SD...great wine (Margaret River area as well as others) but have done HAL from LA to Sydney...it would be a tough choice for me as I like both those areas!!!...if cost is a factor I would assume =X= would be less because of less days? Gee...tough choice!!! But a nice one to have to deal with, right? :D LuAnn

Really depends on what you're looking for. I personally love both lines - however moved off HAL to X due to the smoking on verandahs on HAL as I'm sensitive to smoke.

I think the S class ships of X offer a little more wow than the signature class of HAL (I haven't sailed on Vista but I know they are similar to the Signature). I enjoyed the food on both lines, the entertainment on both lines (though I think I did more on board on X than HAL - not sure why - similar itineraries.)

For me it would come to the ports unless you're making the ship your destination which it doesn't seem you are. Also of course, the price and/or incentives to sail either line. Also, is there one you'd rather build loyalty in than the other. At this point, we're sticking on X to try to gain status since we've sailed 2 on them and only 1 on HAL. I suspect at some point in my life I'll achieve max on both though :-)

It's definitely a lovely problem to have, for sure!

on both ships and far prefer Solstice....it's a great ship! Been on "O" many times as she was home ported in San Diego until just recently...have been to Perth...it looks alot like SD...great wine (Margaret River area as well as others) but have done HAL from LA to Sydney...it would be a tough choice for me as I like both those areas!!!...if cost is a factor I would assume =X= would be less because of less days? Gee...tough choice!!! But a nice one to have to deal with, right? :D LuAnn

Hi LuAnna,

I think every American sailor who comes into port at Perth (Fremantle) says that Perth reminds them a lot of San Diego. Must get there one day to do a comparison.

And, yes, the wines of Margaret River region are great - sipping a lovely PN as we speak.

Oh, and to maintain the relevance, I have the same dilemma as the OP. We are looking at a cruise out of the UK for July of next year and tossing up between the Ryndam and either the Eclipse or the Infinity. Love the look and itineray of all three. Looming in the background of that, though, because of the dates, the itinerary and the price, is the Brilliance of the Seas. What a lovely dilemma to have. :)

I am lucky enough to be sailing both these vessels in January! (And I can't wait. I love HAL, but am REALLY looking forward to dining in Blu on X)

One thing to consider is the limitation of the size of the ports/docks in the South Pacific, Australia and NZ. Many are too small to allow large vessels such as the Solstice to dock, which means tendering ashore with 2000+ others, or being stuck at an industrial port with limited facilities and public transport. The Oosterdam will be able to berth at a few ports that the Solstice cannot. Perhaps looking at each itinerary (and checking whether each stop is berthed or via tender) might be a good starting point for making a decision.

Or perhaps like me, you could try both ... :p

We sail both lines but I always prefer HAL in the end. The Exploration library and computer/coffee area is one thing I love on HAL...the other is the complete promenade so you can walk entirely around the ship instead if ducking in and back out. Then there are the cooking classes on HAL..love those too. And the Indonesian crew.

That said, we enjoyed the food and entertainment on Celebrity Eclipse very much two years ago. They both have strengths.

We're going on the Century to Hawaii in March and I'm already wishing it were going to be on a HAL ship. Dates just didn't work.

Thank you for all the great points. Yes love the crew on holland America - the coffee area, the walk around promenade deck - like a smaller ship but I think we have decided to do the south pacific islands another time and concentrate on Australia and NZ. By doing the celebrity we will end in Perth and will be able to spend one week in western Australia and most importantly our friend wrote back with such a warm welcome and invitation we can't turn it down. So excited to see my friends and happy she will be available for us. We will have beautiful beaches to see there and we are wine lovers and love visiting wineries. It's also nice to have a week on the ground - we did that after our Europe cruise. We will spend a couple days in Auckland at beginning of trip too!

Yes it was a nice dilemma!!!!

So lucky and so excited to do our final booking !!!

Thanks for all the input!! What a great board!

Archived