Tokyo/NRT Connections

voyager70

Hello, I'm looking into a SE Asia cruise out of Singapore & several of the flight options involve connecting through NRT. Problem is most have relatively short connection times (1 hr to 1.50 hrs). I've never transited through NRT or any airport in that part of the world and have no idea if this is advisable or too risky. Airlines would be either DL or UA (unfortunately SQ is about triple the price). Inbound flight arriving from US connecting to SIN, outbound arriving from SIN connecting to US. Any input is appreciated.

If it's all on one ticket I wouldn't worry. Narita is an easy airport to transit.

Now that said, if you had the time and if it didn't cause too big a price spike, a long layover at Narita can be very beneficial. USA to Japan is a long flight, and NRT-SIN is no slouch either (about as far as NYC-London) so a break can really help.

There are a number of comfortable and usually very affordable hotels with shuttles near NRT, and a couple of hours spent at the Naritasan temple complex in town can be quite wonderful. It's a Japanese cultural gem, missed by many of the thousands of people who pass through the airport every day.

Gardyloo thanks for the advice. Yes, it would all be on one ticket, but I really like your idea of spending some time in Tokyo. The cruise is short so we will definitely be spending some time in Singapore beforehand, maybe add on Tokyo as well! Will check out the pricing to see if it's doable.

I've done that connection when I was super jet-lagged (not an unusual condition) and it was easy to do. You do have to walk through Japanese airport security but that was not a big deal. Just don't have any bottles of duty free booze in your carry on or you will lose them.

There are places to buy food near your continuing gate as well as chances to shop and to use a toilet that isn't in a plane (both Japanese and western style toilets) and plenty of folks to point you in the correct direction for your continuing flight.

I adore Singapore! But pay attention to their very, very strong drugs laws. Be sure to make your hotel reservation for the correct date as many flights arrive after midnight and you need your reservation date to be for the day before you arrive.

DL operates a mini-hub there at Narita, with a bank of flights all coming in at the mid/late afternoon and then departing late afternoon/evening. They are in two satellites of the terminal, with gates convenient to one another. It's a carryover from the Northwest operation and is a very efficient transfer for passengers.

As mentioned, you will go through security at NRT, but will then be near to the gate areas.

As long as you are on the same airline your connection time is fine.

I wouldn't stay over because the airport is not close to Tokyo and I just wouldn't break up your flight to stay a couple of days.

Singapore is wonderful and if you can spend three full days there. There is a lot to see and it is easy to get around.

Keith

FWIW, taking time in SIN vs NRT is a no-brainer for me. NRT is quite removed from Tokyo. At SIN, there are many things to see and do, it is convenient before or after cruises, and the primary language is effectively English. All pluses for the American traveler.

Plus, there are plenty of locations of Bread Talk around SIN....:D

I was only suggesting a stopover at Narita if the back-to-back flights are a problem. I like Singapore a lot, too, but the distance, time change, and climate change can all be quite tiring for many people. Narita (and NOT Tokyo itself) can provide a very soft landing into Asia if such is needed. Singapore's a soft landing, too, provided you don't mind stepping into a steam bath when you walk out the door of Changi airport.

Singapore weather/climate is similar to Houston in the summer. 'Nuf said?

I love shopping in Singapore, dining in Singapore and just touring around. Visiting the various hotels is very interesting.

Singapore is very, very clean and tidy.

The people are wonderful.

Great place to visit.

I wouldn't stay over because the airport is not close to Tokyo and I just wouldn't break up your flight to stay a couple of days.

The earlier suggestion was to spend the night near the airport, not Tokyo. I did that once. Lots of hotels nearby. I book a shuttle into the city of Narita and walked around, saw a couple of old temples, had dinner. Very pleasant. Whether you could do that without upping your airfare a lot is another question. Have you looked at other options, including Phillippines Airlines, that don't go through NRT? I haven't transited NRT in 20 years. Where are you flying from? You could take Delta and KLM via Amsterdam.

The earlier suggestion was to spend the night near the airport, not Tokyo. I did that once. Lots of hotels nearby. I book a shuttle into the city of Narita and walked around, saw a couple of old temples, had dinner. Very pleasant. Whether you could do that without upping your airfare a lot is another question. Have you looked at other options, including Phillippines Airlines, that don't go through NRT? I haven't transited NRT in 20 years. Where are you flying from? You could take Delta and KLM via Amsterdam.

Whatever works is great.

I've spent the night near NRT before. Didn't care for the hotels nearby but that is a personal choice.

In the end, the connection time is good so I would just connect over to the next flight.

Keith

Whatever works is great.

I've spent the night near NRT before. Didn't care for the hotels nearby but that is a personal choice.

In the end, the connection time is good so I would just connect over to the next flight.

Keith

I enjoyed Narita, and the hotel (ANA) was fnice, but I'd also connect straight through if possible. I imagine the fare would be less that way, too.

Archived