What happened to the dress code on formal nights?

Cashew14

Is the Lido a regular buffet at night or seated with the MDR menu, just in a casual atmosphere?

At night, Lido service is the same cafeteria line as at other meals.

There are tablecloths, and nice stemware, on the tables, so the tables do look set. IIRC, there's also a lit candle on the table.

It's a much more attractive atmosphere than you find there at breakfast or lunch.

Just wondering ... Do you consider the MDR fine china and linens an outdated tradition? Perhaps plastic plates and disposable utensils, along with Red Solo cups would be more appropriate. After all, if some cruisers don't want to make the effort to dress as the ship asks - why should the ship try to maintain anything slightly elegant looking in the MDR? Those same cruisers want the ship to provide upper-end foods, and all that goes with it - while wearing what THEY want.

If a land-based restaurant has a sign on the door saying "shirt and shoes" required, do you say "how old-fashioned - I'm eating here anyway!" :eek: If an upscale land-based restaurant says "jacket required" do you barge in and say "I'm here to eat and you can't make me do anything I don't want to."

Are we teaching our children that "we're special ... rules don't apply to us."

Yes, they are a relic, but plastic forks and paper plates are not the only other option. Nor are crocs, a tank top, a ball cap, and jean shorts the sole alternative to a suit. My problem is not with a reasonable dress code, but with ridiculously hanging on to the past. Good luck finding more than a handful of jacket-required restaurants in any major American city that much care about an under-60 clientele - that simply isn't how people here live any more. This is why the cruise lines aren't really even pretending to enforce their evening dress suggestions, and almost certainly will radically revise or drop them all together in the very near future.

Ever notice how many upscale homes built over the last couple of decades opt not to waste space on a formal dining room, and wonder why that is?

I would much rather that Holland spend more money on the quality of the food (which isn't bad, but certainly isn't great) than on linens and china, and I certainly don't occupy myself worrying about what others chose to wear when they eat. Perhaps I should choose to be offended when women show up for dinner in my presence with their heads uncovered and showing their ankles.

On our 23 day Amazon cruise next week my DH will bring a white dinner jacket and a tux. We are driving and have lots of room. He recently lost weight and enjoys getting into his formal attire that fits again. That said, two years ago we did a TA and he did not bring a jacket or a tie. I don't care. I dress up no matter what he has on. I would love to be the most dressed up person on the ship. I do what makes me happy and give him the same privilege. Lighten up people. Enjoy your cruise. Have a drink with the couple in jeans and flip flops. Get your picture taken. Laugh, enjoy the food and the people around you. Lift is to short to worry about the small stuff.

On our 23 day Amazon cruise next week my DH will bring a white dinner jacket and a tux. We are driving and have lots of room. He recently lost weight and enjoys getting into his formal attire that fits again. That said, two years ago we did a TA and he did not bring a jacket or a tie. I don't care. I dress up no matter what he has on. I would love to be the most dressed up person on the ship. I do what makes me happy and give him the same privilege. Lighten up people. Enjoy your cruise. Have a drink with the couple in jeans and flip flops. Get your picture taken. Laugh, enjoy the food and the people around you. Lift is to short to worry about the small stuff.

I'm with you. The folks in jeans and flip-flops may be a lot more interesting than you think! And the same goes for the couple in evening gown and tux, if you are wearing jeans.

Yes, they are a relic, but plastic forks and paper plates are not the only other option. Nor are crocs, a tank top, a ball cap, and jean shorts the sole alternative to a suit. My problem is not with a reasonable dress code, but with ridiculously hanging on to the past. Good luck finding more than a handful of jacket-required restaurants in any major American city that much care about an under-60 clientele - that simply isn't how people here live any more. This is why the cruise lines aren't really even pretending to enforce their evening dress suggestions, and almost certainly will radically revise or drop them all together in the very near future.

Ever notice how many upscale homes built over the last couple of decades opt not to waste space on a formal dining room, and wonder why that is?

I would much rather that Holland spend more money on the quality of the food (which isn't bad, but certainly isn't great) than on linens and china, and I certainly don't occupy myself worrying about what others chose to wear when they eat. Perhaps I should choose to be offended when women show up for dinner in my presence with their heads uncovered and showing their ankles.

Me and Fred Macmurray have a thing for ankle bracelets

"That's A Honey of An Ankle Bracelet You Have"

Double Indemnity

Holland America Line's dress code is not for everyone, just like each cruise line is not for everyone. There are many cruise lines, and theres certainly a line for every style. I am wondering, if so many people hate the dress code on HAL, why not choose to spend your money elsewhere? I am just trying to understand, if so many people HATE the dress code, why not move on and find what works for you? No one makes you choose HAL, why try to impose your will? You pick a cruise line for what it is, not what you WANT it to be. This makes no sense to me. Who cares if people think that HAL is outdated, HAL is HAL, not another line with other traditions and guidelines.

Just wondering ... Do you consider the MDR fine china and linens an outdated tradition? Perhaps plastic plates and disposable utensils, along with Red Solo cups would be more appropriate. After all, if some cruisers don't want to make the effort to dress as the ship asks - why should the ship try to maintain anything slightly elegant looking in the MDR? Those same cruisers want the ship to provide upper-end foods, and all that goes with it - while wearing what THEY want.

Fine china and linens in the MDR are decorations/accessories provided for the enjoyment of the people. People, on the other hand, are not ornaments included with your cruise for your viewing pleasure. So, sorry - your parallel does not work.

As someone else said, it is not 1958 any more. Stop treating people as slaves to customs, manners and traditions, so we can all enjoy each other's company.

Fine china and linens in the MDR are decorations/accessories provided for the enjoyment of the people. People, on the other hand, are not ornaments included with your cruise for your viewing pleasure. So, sorry - your parallel does not work.

As someone else said, it is not 1958 any more. Stop treating people as slaves to customs, manners and traditions, so we can all enjoy each other's company.

It is not 1958 anymore, you are correct in that. However since it is not 1958, there are many cruise lines, and there is one for everyone if by chance you are unhappy with the traditions in which HAL decides to set the business model. It is HALs choice to decide how they do business.

In some religions and areas, it still is. You comment could be taken for something like that.

I'm sure it could, so what's your point?

I am 70 years old and remember how the tisk tisks were audible in better restaurants when "ladies" failed to wear appropriate headwear and/or where they wore skirts and blouses instead of dresses.

The televised Easter Parade back in the 50's and 60's was a fashion show of the latest fashions, not big balloons and Bway musical performances.

It would be helpful if you would be a bit more aware of how things were in the recent past.

That said, I don't disagree that the current dress standards are perfectly fine and that the notion of a fully regulated "formal night" has become an anachronism. It's still fun, however, and I really see no harm in continuing the tradition so long as the paying customers still want it.

I'm sure it could, so what's your point?

It would be helpful if you would be a bit more aware of how things were in the recent past. /QUOTE]

I think you misunderstand, it could be viewed as a jab at certain religions, (do i need to elaborate on controversy)?

With all due respect you do not know what I am or what i am not aware of in regard to the recent past.

Most recently, with all the issues going on with the world, the last thing we need here is religious jabs. Do you get my meaning?

C.C. Is a place that is usually free of religious and political drama, and I for one perfer it that way.

The post i was referring to could be read that way if you pay attention to recent events. I am sure the OP did not mean it that way, but still best to clarify all the same.

Holland America Line's dress code is not for everyone, just like each cruise line is not for everyone. There are many cruise lines, and theres certainly a line for every style. I am wondering, if so many people hate the dress code on HAL, why not choose to spend your money elsewhere? I am just trying to understand, if so many people HATE the dress code, why not move on and find what works for you? No one makes you choose HAL, why try to impose your will? You pick a cruise line for what it is, not what you WANT it to be. This makes no sense to me. Who cares if people think that HAL is outdated, HAL is HAL, not another line with other traditions and guidelines.

Hate the dress code?

There is not dress code. There are only suggested guidelines.

I rather resent your suggestion that HAL is "not for everyone". You don't own the cruise line, so it is not for you to decide, but since you really want to know what your opponents think, here is my take.

My GF/wife and I like variety, so in the past few years we've been on a dozen of cruises on five different cruise lines. They all have different flavors and we enjoyed sampling every one of them. Including HAL. We like HAL. We like the formal nights on HAL and enjoy mixing with the diverse crowd, including the old-fashioned passengers dressed in formal gowns and tuxedos. What we don't like is blending in. We always dress very nicely, but our version of festive attire is looking deliciously hot rather than boring and stuffy. Never heard any complaints from anyone!

Hate the dress code?

There is not dress code. There are only suggested guidelines.

I rather resent your suggestion that HAL is "not for everyone". You don't own the cruise line, so it is not for you to decide, but since you really want to know what your opponents think, here is my take.

My GF/wife and I like variety, so in the past few years we've been on a dozen of cruises on five different cruise lines. They all have different flavors and we enjoyed sampling every one of them. Including HAL. We like HAL. We like the formal nights on HAL and enjoy mixing with the diverse crowd, including the old-fashioned passengers dressed in formal gowns and tuxedos. What we don't like is blending in. We always dress very nicely, but our version of festive attire is looking deliciously hot rather than boring and stuffy. Never heard any complaints from anyone!

Some people do HATE the dress code, and HAL is not for everyone ( just like NCL is not for everyone. ) Whats wrong with that? No need to be so hostile. Nothing is for me to decide, and i never said so. We cruise other lines, and are happy with all of them. Dressing hot, whats wrong with that? I don't blend in well either. Formal does not mean stuffy. Bottom line? HAL sets the guidelines, not me. I am not a huge supporter of formal night, but what i do believe is that if the guidelines are set forth by the line, that you can choose another line if you do not like the way the line does business. Whats wrong with that? Just common sense.

With all due respect, people use the whole luggage business as an excuse not to dress up. Why do I say this? Because some of these very same people want to bring Halloween costumes, pack blow up pools for the kids, bring fans and sound machines for their cabin, load up on alcohol and bottled water, heavy jeans and a myriad of other things that weigh a lot more than a lightweight jacket or dress. Actually, my formal clothes weigh a lot less, and take up less space, than my casual outfits.

I'm looking forward to dressing up on the formal nights on our upcoming Eurodam cruise.

Men's formal clothes do weight more. I also think women's pant suits shouldn't be included in formal attire. If men should wear suits, women should wear dresses.;)

Surfergirle: while I agree with you in principle, you are the one who brought up religion. If you were aware of past fashions you wouldn't be jumping to the conclusion this was about religion. Just sayin....

Men's formal clothes do weight more. I also think women's pant suits shouldn't be included in formal attire. If men should wear suits, women should wear dresses.;)

Surfergirle: while I agree with you in principle, you are the one who brought up religion. If you were aware of past fashions you wouldn't be jumping to the conclusion this was about religion. Just sayin....

I am VERY aware of past fashions because of my job. Covering head and ankles in the presence of a man in this day means one thing. So that being said, that is why i asked him to elaborate. Better to clarify. There a a couple of religions that require this.

With all due respect, people use the whole luggage business as an excuse not to dress up. Why do I say this? Because some of these very same people want to bring Halloween costumes, pack blow up pools for the kids, bring fans and sound machines for their cabin, load up on alcohol and bottled water, heavy jeans and a myriad of other things that weigh a lot more than a lightweight jacket or dress. Actually, my formal clothes weigh a lot less, and take up less space, than my casual outfits.

I'm looking forward to dressing up on the formal nights on our upcoming Eurodam cruise.

The schleps have an excuse for everything.

Caribbean- It's too hot and tropical

Europe- Can't pack a necktie and wear a jacket on the plane

Alaska- I yearn to be a Paul Bunyan wannabe and wear Flannel and Jeans for 7 days

There you have it,they've got all the cruising regions covered.

If one wants to smuggle booze and wear the clothing they cut their lawn in,wouldn't it be easier to stay home:confused:

The schleps have an excuse for everything.

Caribbean- It's too hot and tropical

Europe- Can't pack a necktie and wear a jacket on the plane

Alaska- I yearn to be a Paul Bunyan wannabe and wear Flannel and Jeans for 7 days

There you have it,they've got all the cruising regions covered.

If one wants to smuggle booze and wear the clothing they cut their lawn in,wouldn't it be easier to stay home:confused:

The gowns i wear work for each location. I have a velvet and fur dress caught on clearance at Nordstrom's for $40 perfect for Alaska, and light silk or short sequined number for Caribbean/ Europe all at Ross for under $30...

I am now looking for a flannel print party dress for Alaska, and i will be good to go! :)

The gowns i wear work for each location. I have a velvet and fur dress caught on clearance at Nordstrom's for $40 perfect for Alaska, and light silk or short sequined number for Caribbean/ Europe all at Ross for under $30...

I am now looking for a flannel print party dress for Alaska, and i will be good to go! :)

No Flannel...I'm begging

Archived