What happened to the dress code on formal nights?

Cashew14

We had a discussion with a maitre'd on our recent RCCL sailing (not to say that HAL is the same but it is another viewpoint). His response was that while they'd like to enforce the rules it may make their customer satisfaction scores go down. They would rather have twenty happy customers dressed "down" on a formal night because they are not asking them to change. If they asked them to change then they may become upset and will give bad customer sat scores.

He said that there are many who like the formal nights and dressing for them but it is a "silent majority" because they seem to often complain to him about it but they won't mention it enough on the customer surveys so nothing happens. Apparently if it isn't mentioned on the surveys it isn't an issue.

Now in my opinion...

I must agree with others as when we've cruised on Carnival and Princess the atmosphere is much more festive throughout the entire ship on formal nights, not just the dining room and the showroom. I will say that HAL does not have the public spaces on their ships like many Carnival and Princess ships with the multi-level open atriums, but everywhere that there is an open space on HAL on formal nights it is taken up by photo set-ups rather than "festive" activities. Everyone keeps mentioning Carnival like it is the plague, however we have seen MANY more people dressed up on Carnival than we have recently on HAL.

Just my two cents...for what it's worth.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a discussion with a maitre'd on our recent RCCL sailing (not to say that HAL is the same but it is another viewpoint). His response was that while they'd like to enforce the rules it may make their customer satisfaction scores go down. They would rather have twenty happy customers dressed "down" on a formal night because they are not asking them to change. If they asked them to change then they may become upset and will give bad customer sat scores.

He said that there are many who like the formal nights and dressing for them but it is a "silent majority" because they seem to often complain to him about it but they won't mention it enough on the customer surveys so nothing happens. Apparently if it isn't mentioned on the surveys it isn't an issue.

Now in my opinion...

I must agree with others as when we've cruised on Carnival and Princess the atmosphere is much more festive throughout the entire ship on formal nights, not just the dining room and the showroom. I will say that HAL does not have the public spaces on their ships like many Carnival and Princess ships with the multi-level open atriums, but everywhere that there is an open space on HAL on formal nights it is taken up by photo set-ups rather than "festive" activities. Everyone keeps mentioning Carnival like it is the plague, however we have seen MANY more people dressed up on Carnival than we have recently on HAL.

I agree, completely agree, the rules aren't enforced (chair hogging, formal night, cabana crowding etc) so as not to affect tips and survey scores...

Shame shame...

Our nicest formal night was on RCCL Radiance. It was amazing, and the grand atrium made for very public and festive, elegantly planned formal night. 80 percent tuxedos.

Im fine with whatever the lines decide, just enforce your policy's so your patrons know what to expect, and may decide accordingly.

Now in my opinion...

In my experience, we have actually found the dress code to be enforced more often on RCI than on HAL. We have seen the maitre'd politely ask someone to leave the MDR to change on RCI, whereas on HAL they have given a jacket to someone dressed very inappropriately (jeans and Tshirt) which just made it look worse and they removed it as soon as they sat down!

Personally, I still don't care what anyone else wears - just what I wear.

In my opinion as long as you are wearing smart casual for the Lido or Canaletto then there is no need to change in order to use the other public rooms...If you were wearing shorts, T-shirts, then you have a problem...

That's your opinion of course. I would suggest if someone is wearing shorts, and a T Shirt in a public area on a formal evening, it is in fact your problem, not theirs. They are comfortable in their choice, it is you who is having a problem, not them.

we are travelling to europe from australia for our cruise, sorry I won't be packing a suit for my husband, yes nice pants and a shirt but a suit will take too much space in the suitcase, I will have a nice dress but why would I spend money buying a fancy dress I'll proberly never wear again. Doesn't matter what people wear I would rather judge people on how they treated other people not want they wear.

Totally agree although we were on the NA for 37 nights, we have noticed many people being allowed in the MDR on formal nights dressed in jeans and flip flops (yes even woman) and men without ties or jackets. I blame HAL staff for allowing this. There is no excuse, HAL has their policies and we as passengers should abide by them but the MDR manager and staff should enforce it. These passengers can always order room service or eat on the Lido on those nights. Some of us paid the airlines an additional $120.00 each way to bring extra suitcases for our formal clothes.

Perhaps its time that HAL re-visits their own policy.

On occasion, I think HAL may give their passengers a truly "formal" night. It more than likely depends on the itinerary and length of the cruise. In 2011 I was on the Rotterdam Classic transatlantic from New York to Rotterdam (9 days). There were three formal nights.

On one of the formal nights they held the "Black and White Ball". In addition to a gala dinner, the Ball was held in the show lounge. There was a live orchestra (Pasadena Roof Orchestra) and the ships Captain and officers were in attendance. The male passengers were all dressed in suits or tuxes, and the female passengers (particularly the Europeans) were dressed to kill. There were no jeans, wife beaters, or flip flops in attendance.

This was truly a magical evening, and nobody wanted it to end. Without a doubt it is one of my favourite cruise memories. I was disappointed that something similar was not offered on a 12 day Med cruise this year - the CD said it was due to the fact that it was too port intensive. Given the large number of Spaniards on board that were immaculately dressed even on shore excursions during the hottest summer ever, I think it would have worked.

I know this was a one off event - but perhaps "if you build it they will come". I don't know how well something like this would go over on a typical seven day Caribbean milk run that is selling for$399/person, but perhaps HAL could try and raise the bar a little.

That's your opinion of course. I would suggest if someone is wearing shorts, and a T Shirt in a public area on a formal evening, it is in fact your problem, not theirs. They are comfortable in their choice, it is you who is having a problem, not them.

DITTO !!!

It is amazing that twice a month we get these threads about formal nights and you read the same posts each time !

We are 4 star Mariners and will begin sailing Oceania in March 2013 and have recently sailed on Regent. WHY? No formal nights !!!! plus many other reasons to mention !!!

Formal dinner parties and formal dress for dinner has largely disappeared from American culture, especially in the world occupied by those under 50.

If you want to get gussied up for dinner - fine! go for it. But realize that imposing your preferences on 1500 other people's clothing choices so that they decorate your own personal dinner is no longer considered acceptable by most.

While you might think it is selfish for others to wear what they choose, a rapidly growing percentage of your fellow cruisers believe that it is selfish of YOU to want to determine what they want to wear on vacation. Why is your opinion of greater value than theirs?

It's not 1958 any more, and men no longer wear coats and ties to baseball games. Very soon this will also be true of cruise ship dining rooms.

Formal dinner parties and formal dress for dinner has largely disappeared from American culture, especially in the world occupied by those under 50.

If you want to get gussied up for dinner - fine! go for it. But realize that imposing your preferences on 1500 other people's clothing choices so that they decorate your own personal dinner is no longer considered acceptable by most.

While you might think it is selfish for others to wear what they choose, a rapidly growing percentage of your fellow cruisers believe that it is selfish of YOU to want to determine what they want to wear on vacation. Why is your opinion of greater value than theirs?

It's not 1958 any more, and men no longer wear coats and ties to baseball games. Very soon this will also be true of cruise ship dining rooms.

Glad we still got dressing up culture in Europe :p

If the cruiseline wants to have formal/elegant nights, they need to enforce the dress code, and forget about the comment cards. Princess does a good job of enforcing the code. Due to luggage costs (we fly r/t from the west coast), we only pack casual/ smart casual. On our last Princess cruise, we showed up for formal night in nice slacks and nice shirts, and matre'de (sp) politely caught us and explained that we were a little underdressed. Because it was done with taict, we were not offended, and went to the Lido to eat. My husband was a little bummed, as it was lobster night, but oh well.

We will be taking our first HAL cruise in January 2013, and am please to see I can get the dinner for formal night delivered from room service. Maybe HAL could do a special "formal" seating for those that wish to participate, and see how may people show dressed. Maybe have a special menu just for that occasion.

It isn't a matter of opinion. HAL sets certain nights as formal nights and provides the guidelines. It is a matter of enforcement of their policy/guidelines.

I know it isn't the best comparison, but if you were invited to a formal state dinner at the White House, would you show up in jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops?

There is a huge difference between being an 'invited guest' and being a paying customer.

Yes, those in the hospitality business like to use the word 'guest' and those in the professional services business like to use the word 'client'. But a customer is a customer...not to be confused with an invitee.

People's preferences are changing. Time to get over it and move forward.

There is a huge difference between being an 'invited guest' and being a paying customer.

Yes, those in the hospitality business like to use the word 'guest' and those in the professional services business like to use the word 'client'. But a customer is a customer...not to be confused with an invitee.

People's preferences are changing. Time to get over it and move forward.

Guests are now called Schleppers

On occasion, I think HAL may give their passengers a truly "formal" night. It more than likely depends on the itinerary and length of the cruise. In 2011 I was on the Rotterdam Classic transatlantic from New York to Rotterdam (9 days). There were three formal nights.

On one of the formal nights they held the "Black and White Ball". In addition to a gala dinner, the Ball was held in the show lounge. There was a live orchestra (Pasadena Roof Orchestra) and the ships Captain and officers were in attendance. The male passengers were all dressed in suits or tuxes, and the female passengers (particularly the Europeans) were dressed to kill. There were no jeans, wife beaters, or flip flops in attendance.

This was truly a magical evening, and nobody wanted it to end. Without a doubt it is one of my favourite cruise memories. I was disappointed that something similar was not offered on a 12 day Med cruise this year - the CD said it was due to the fact that it was too port intensive. Given the large number of Spaniards on board that were immaculately dressed even on shore excursions during the hottest summer ever, I think it would have worked.

I know this was a one off event - but perhaps "if you build it they will come". I don't know how well something like this would go over on a typical seven day Caribbean milk run that is selling for$399/person, but perhaps HAL could try and raise the bar a little.

Without an event like this patrons will feel there is no special reason to dress up.

It isn't a matter of opinion. HAL sets certain nights as formal nights and provides the guidelines. It is a matter of enforcement of their policy/guidelines.

I know it isn't the best comparison, but if you were invited to a formal state dinner at the White House, would you show up in jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops?

Well, you're correct about the part in red......

*snip*

Just a question, if the problem is non-enforcement of the existing "dress code" (which HAL calls "guidelines", which is NOT the same thing as a "dress code", but never mind that), how about if HAL changes the guidelines and says "smart casual to formal dress, as you prefer". That makes the "smart casual" folks in compliance with the guidelines as well as those in tuxes and gowns. If it truly doesn't matter to the formal crowd how others dress and they are only upset about non-enforcement of the guidelines, change the guidelines.

If they are truly more upset about others refusing to dress more formally, then I'm sorry, this is the 21st century and if people choose not to wear a tux on vacation... really, how does that affect you? As an earlier poster said, what makes your opinion more important than anyone else's?

I am playing Devil's Advocate here, because I follow the guidelines. If the guidelines were more towards the smart casual end of the spectrum, I'd be happier. If there were formal nights, but fewer of them, I'd also be happier, but I do dress formally on formal nights. Then after dinner I scurry back to my cabin as quickly I can so I can be comfortable. If you like to dress up then I'm sure you have the permission of most of the passengers to wear a tux or long gown every night if you'd like.

I'm also in agreement with the folks who say that, given a reason to dress up, beyond the daily bulletin saying it was "Formal Night", they might be happier to dress formally. I never minded dressing up when I was going to military ball with my husband in his dress blues... But dressing formally to eat dinner in the same location I ate in last night? Not the same thing. (But the food is better in the MDR than at any ball I ever attended! ;))

As you adjust your flamethrowers, please keep in mind that I have not advocated jeans, shorts or t-shirts in the MDR -- just Smart Casual/Business Casual/Country Club Casual, whatever you want to call at least a collared shirt and nice slacks.

Will HAL send information regarding any "theme" nights like the black and white ball noted above? Disney is very good at sending emails about special nights that will happen onboard so folks can bring the proper clothes.

On a 10 night will there be 3 formal nights and the rest smart casual? No semi formal nights to plan for?

They'll never do it now based on how they have the dining rooms set up (with one level for anytime and the other for fixed), but I've always said that I don't understand why they couldn't do one level for formal and enforce it and the other level for whatever else. That way anyone who wants can dine in the dining room.

YES YES YES YES they would show up dressed incorrectly. We're overpopulated with clueless people,just venture out and you will see.

There are those that might suggest that the clueless are those hanging on to outdated traditions, and that this is in fact the population with excess numbers.

Wearing ridiculous clothing rooted in sensibilities from a half century past, and inappropriate for tropical climes, would seem ample reason to well qualify oneself for serious derision by those with more rational attire.

Feel free to Like Ike, but Ike has been dead for four and a half decades. You might laugh at people who you think are incorrectly dressed, but a consider for a moment that lot of people might be laughing at you for dressing like an uncomfortable and, yes, clueless, monkey desperately trying to hang onto a long gone age.

There are those that might suggest that the clueless are those hanging on to outdated traditions, and that this is in fact the population with excess numbers.

Wearing ridiculous clothing rooted in sensibilities from a half century past, and inappropriate for tropical climes, would seem ample reason to well qualify oneself for serious derision by those with more rational attire.

Feel free to Like Ike, but Ike has been dead for four and a half decades. You might laugh at people who you think are incorrectly dressed, but a consider for a moment that lot of people might be laughing at you for dressing like an uncomfortable and, yes, clueless, monkey desperately trying to hang onto a long gone age.

There are those who go on job interviews in sweatpants. Then they wonder why they didn't get the job. Like I said clueless.

James Bond in his tux,always beats the guy in shorts and crocs

Snip

I'm also in agreement with the folks who say that, given a reason to dress up, beyond the daily bulletin saying it was "Formal Night", they might be happier to dress formally. I never minded dressing up when I was going to military ball with my husband in his dress blues... But dressing formally to eat dinner in the same location I ate in last night? Not the same thing. (But the food is better in the MDR than at any ball I ever attended! ;))

As you adjust your flamethrowers, please keep in mind that I have not advocated jeans, shorts or t-shirts in the MDR -- just Smart Casual/Business Casual/Country Club Casual, whatever you want to call at least a collared shirt and nice slacks.

I agree. Dressing up for an occasion is fun and on (some) other lines, where formal nights are less frequent, they are coincided with events in the atrium before or elsewhere after dinner or at the dinner itself. I would rather for example one black tie ball per cruise than four formal nights with no particulate reason for dressing differently in the same venue even at the same table. The food in the MDR is usually better so we follow the guidelines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are those who go on job interviews in sweatpants. Then they wonder why they didn't get the job. Like I said clueless.

James Bond in his tux,always beats the guy in shorts and crocs

You always make me laugh.:D I don't know what world you live in but it sure isn't anything like mine!

Archived