Westerdam Ventilation cooking smell

Brklynguy

We prefer to travel on HAL and last winter we were on a caribbean cruise when in the middle of the night the ventilation system from the kitchen breached the fresh air system and our cabin was filled with the odor of cooking oil and peppers. We had to sleep on the balcony. Our cruise mates concurred. The crew first denied there was a problem and said it was the hallway which was BS. They sprayed room deodorizer. You knew that that they knew. It dissipated after 2 hours, only to return that morning. An officer came to our room and she realized we were not being fussy(she had to leave the room). There were no free rooms, either. Engineering came and said they had resolved the problem and the crew completely cleaned and sanitized the room.

Fine for one day and then it happened again. Gave us $150 credit and free dining in the specialty restaurants. Finally on the final night it happened again and we sailed into port on our balcony.

They did not bother to respond to our complaints.

So much HAL.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Many of the Aft Port side cabins get aromas from the kitchen but this is the first I have heard of cooking oils and peppers. Many times I have woke about 4 in the morning to baked bread, specifically in 4166 or 4164 on the NA and and on deck 8 on the Westerdam about this same location. This does get mentioned every once in a while and there have been a few comments here on CC about smelling the burnt pizza in the afternoon more so on the NA and Eurodam with those cabins towards the aft.

Sorry to hear of your discomfort, however I have a question. Why did it take so long and what caused you to share this at this particular time, given it was almost a year ago?:confused:

I was thinking the same thing. :confused:

My guess is that while the poster seems to have cruised often they may not live and breath CC and maybe looking for an upcoming cruise on HAL and as they were reading things about HAL it occured to them about what happened on their last HAL cruise and wanted to mention it. They did state right up fron that this occured last winter and I think they were basically wondering if this had occured with anyone else. I do not find it strange at all, now if they were frequent posters to the HAL board maybe but to the person who only comes here when planning a cruise about once a year, I do not find it odd at all.

Perhaps you are correct Lisa. I hope that is indeed the case. I sometimes wonder if people who short stock sometimes come to these type venues to downplay the company to try to drive down the stock price.

I hope that isn't the case, but I have spent plenty of time on stock sites and have seen the like. You have a lot more experience on this board than I do. I had taken a "vacation" from the boards for the last 3-4 years while I was doing other vacation options. With first the Monarch and now the Westerdam on the agenda it has brought me back.:)

Edit: It doesn't appear the OP is doing this so my apologies for bringing it up. It is most likely as Lisa has said. I just went back and reviewed their posts, but it wasn't mentioned at the time.

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the late posts and responses.....

The smell was an engineering problem (which they acknowledged) involving a breached duct. The fact that no one posted a similar experience means that it was probably resolved......It was that bad and it would have made the blogs.

Also, HAL is still our preferred mid market line and we have booked the same cruise (our 4th HAL) this winter on the Nieu Amsterdam.

Stay tuned.

Archived