Very upset canadian

Traveler30

[quote name='baldercash']You I assume do not live there so you do not how under attack English speakers feel there.
[url]http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2012/07/20120713-141437.html[/url][/QUOTE]

No I don't live there but if I felt I was "under attack" I would move from there.
In all honesty if I received a piece of mail in the wrong language I wouldn't be so dramatic, but that's just me I have lots of bigger problems in life. I wish I was so fortunate in life that I too would have such a an awful and over whelming problem as the OP

I do not live in Canada, but in USA

Here the official language is English (albeit American English) however more and more when you use the telephone,go to Govnt Offices, you find that the first contact is in Spanish.Not German,Welsh, Gaelic,Polish, Hungarian etc , no it is always Spanish!

WHY!!!!. When an immigrant CHOOSES to leave his/hers native land and move to another land, they should be prepared to
a/ Learn the language
b/ Learn and blend in with the way of life.
c/ Become an American citizen ( it is not unusual to meet people who hae been living here 20-30 years, who have never become citizens , and have never learned English)

When I cruise on Cunard, I can say "this is done differently on QM2/QV/QE" but I should not say "this is done differently on Celebrity/RCCL/Crystal etc etc." or other way around.

If a table companion wishes to have private conversations they should be considerate and wait until they have left the table- as any English speaking passenger would do.

[I][B][B][I][quote name='Jimsgirl']I do not live in Canada, but in USA

Here the official language is English (albeit American English) however more and more when you use the telephone,go to Govnt Offices, you find that the first contact is in Spanish.Not German,Welsh, Gaelic,Polish, Hungarian etc , no it is always Spanish!

WHY!!!!. When an immigrant CHOOSES to leave his/hers native land and move to another land, they should be prepared to
a/ Learn the language
b/ Learn and blend in with the way of life.
c/ Become an American citizen ( it is not unusual to meet people who hae been living here 20-30 years, who have never become citizens , and have never learned English

[B][I][I]However, in the OPs case the French were here before the English. Quebec is now - like it or not - an area where French is the official language. I do not speak French but have two sons in university in Montreal who are being enriched by the diversity of Quebec every day, and for that I am thankful. I recieve communication in French from the Quebec Municipality where our cottage is (and has been for 75 years). I feel badly that I have never learned the language of the majority of my cottage neighbours. But angry? Not so much....[/I][/I][/B]

[quote name='Griller']I do not even pretend to understand how French-Canadians see life.

Our most recent cruise two ladies from Quebec kept insisting to me they were French.
I said - aren't you Canadian? And they eventually and grudgingly agreed they were. They both spoke perfect English as well.

A sad state of affairs to deny your nationality, if I were Canadian I would be proud of it, regardless of if I were Anglo or Francophone.

Maybe French-Canadians should have their own ships where everything is in French, like the Germans have Mein Schiff where everything is in German.
Could make everybody happier.[/QUOTE].

I find you comment insulting to french canadians. Making such a harsh judgement and unqualifiable comparaison ... based on meeting two out of nearly seven millions...

I think moderators should ask for this thread to become about Princess again and not personal political opinions.

Having lived in Montreal I can understand the reaction to the Princess message in French. some of the ramifications of the language laws are more comical than anything else but the whole thing can be trying for us Anglais. We need another Mordicai Richler to help us see the funny side.

[quote name='MKMC']Having lived in Montreal I can understand the reaction to the Princess message in French. some of the ramifications of the language laws are more comical than anything else but the whole thing can be trying for us Anglais. We need another Mordicai Richler to help us see the funny side.[/QUOTE]

I agree, sigh.... there will never be another Mordecai.

As a Franglais Montrealer, I find a lot of the comments on this thread offensive,
I think it's like when we complain about our family, spouse etc...it;s ok for us to complain about them but we take it real personal when somebody else does:p

[quote name='Liz54'][i][b][B][I][quote name='Jimsgirl']I do not live in Canada, but in USA[/quote][/I][/B][quote name='Jimsgirl']

[I][B]Here the official language is English (albeit American English) [/B][/I][B][I][I]....[/I][/I][/B][/quote]

The USA does not have an official language.

Every attempt to pass a law either nationally or in a state to make English the official language is met by opposition and lawsuits claiming discrimination.

For example, [URL]http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/08/02/congressman-steve-king-strives-to-make-english-the-official-language-of-us[/URL]

[quote name='Esprit']I agree.

What upset me on our Caribbean cruise two years ago were the French Canadians on our table of 8 who spoke in French to one another thus excluding us from the conversations.

Needless to say we switched tables and had a very pleasurable time with English speaking Canadians from BC.[/QUOTE]

I sell cruises as a sideline. You'd be surprised at the number of unilingual francophones book Caribbean cruises where English is the dominant language. I always wonder how they manage...not just with other passengers but with the crew, on excursions, etc. Its quite possible that they really couldn't communicate in English or were not confident enough to. They were likely more uncomfortable with the situation than you were :)

[quote name='baldercash']You I assume do not live there so you do not how under attack English speakers feel there.
[url]http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2012/07/20120713-141437.html[/url][/QUOTE]

You are so right about that baldercash. Things are a little more tense than usual since the September elections. I suppose a lot of us are a little over sensitive these days due to recent episodes, including one that took place this past weekend.

[quote name='Hstergo']No I don't live there but if I felt I was "under attack" I would move from there.
In all honesty if I received a piece of mail in the wrong language I wouldn't be so dramatic, but that's just me I have lots of bigger problems in life. I wish I was so fortunate in life that I too would have such a an awful and over whelming problem as the OP[/QUOTE]

This is my home. I was born and raised here. I have raised my children here. I own a home here and have a job here, as does my husband and two of my children who also go to university here. The third goes to a wonderful high school here. All, except for me, are perfectly bilingual.

So, You would not be so dramatic as to be so upset over an email that you found offensive but you WOULD uproot your entire family and life as you know it if you felt under attack by a political linguistic situation? :confused: Putting things in perspective, nobody is getting killed here and yes, we have the right to leave, but again, this is our home.

[quote name='Sailingpeace']I believe that stupidity is unfortunately found all over the planet and you can meet dingbats in any country, and therefore, sadly, we have our in Quebec ... We also have the other model, the one who understands french but pretend he doesn't... Some humans, since the begining of times, seem to have problems handling differences, even petty ones.[/quote]
Very, very well stated.

[quote name='Hstergo']Yes none as in Zero not a single one ... Are you in So. Florida to know anything different or you simply assuming I am lying ?[/quote]
While I am not the poster to whom you directed this response, I do live in South Florida (Hollywood/Dania Beach area), so I encounter French Canadians everyday. In fact, my next door neighbor is French-Canadian. I have never experienced what you have experienced. I have, of course, encountered rude people in the Hollywood area, but not enough of any one group (be they French-Canadian, Cuban, South American, Orthodox Jewish, West Indian, African Americans, WASPs, or any other group that lives in this area) to be able to make such a blanket statement.

[quote name='Hstergo']Yes none as in Zero not a single one ... Are you in So. Florida to know anything different or you simply assuming I am lying ?[/QUOTE]

I would never assume that you are lying. I believe you when you say no one wanted to acknowledge you, I find it very sad in fact. I was just wondering comparing your experience to other comments from other people in Florida who don't seem to have that problem.

Archived