Honeymoon Cruise/Name Question

Hi CC'ers!

My fiance and I will be getting married 3/23/13 and will be hopping on the Freedom of the Seas on 3/24/13. My question is...I just booked the cruise under my maiden name. Since I will only have a marriage license and will not have changed my maiden name to my married name, I should be okay right?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I just don't want to be denied boarding!

Thanks!

Hi CC'ers!

My fiance and I will be getting married 3/23/13 and will be hopping on the Freedom of the Seas on 3/24/13. My question is...I just booked the cruise under my maiden name. Since I will only have a marriage license and will not have changed my maiden name to my married name, I should be okay right?

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I just don't want to be denied boarding!

Thanks!

Yes, you're fine -- they check for booking and passport name to be the same. I took my marriage license with me just in case and showed at checkin. It helped because they treated us to a bottle of champagne!:)

Leave it under the name that will be on your passport when you sail. Or ID/certified birth cert if you won't have your passport.

If you would like to be called by your married name onboard, just let your stateroom steward know but all official paperwork will list your maiden name.

I have (sadly) seen far too many people denied boarding because they put their married name down but their documents were in their maiden name. They bring the marriage doc that was signed they day before and are told it is not an official document (since it hasn't been certified by the state yet) and therefore they can't prove the name and don't get on.

It is good for you to be proactive - now go enjoy planning the wedding and Congrats!

Just returned from a cruise today and happened to read on RCCL departure info. that Honeymooners should each fill out a customs form when returning to the US which makes sense as their passports have different last names.

Like everyone else said just match your name on the booking to your primary form of ID. Ive been married for a year and a half and have no intentions of changing my passport until it expires ... whenever I travel abroad for work or pleasure I just put myself down as the maiden name and only use my passport for ID.

It's not as easy as "well, we're married so my name is changed!" You'll have to fill out mountains of paperwork to change it on your license, passport, credit cards, insurance, so on and so forth. I'm still finding things that I forgot to change my name on. (Silly stuff like AAA, my gym membership, etc ) That's why I still carry both of my licenses with me just in case there is question. I've only needed it once but it made life a lot easier to have it right there. Even after you get your new id's you may want to carry the old one for awhile as well. I guess I was lucky that my passport was expiring anyway so I didn't even really think about it and just had it changed.

...That's why I still carry both of my licenses with me just in case there is question...

Just as an FYI, it is unlawful to be in possession of more than one valid drivers' license at any given time. If you're carrying two licenses, I'd highly recommend the one with your maiden name be an expired one and that you store any valid license away until it expires. Would hate for some smart-aleck to give you a ticket for just trying to prove who you are.

Just as an FYI, it is unlawful to be in possession of more than one valid drivers' license at any given time. If you're carrying two licenses, I'd highly recommend the one with your maiden name be an expired one and that you store any valid license away until it expires. Would hate for some smart-aleck to give you a ticket for just trying to prove who you are.

In Pennsylvania, they invalidate the license by punching a hole through the barcode so technically, only my married name license is valid even though my maiden name one hasn't passed the expiration date.

I have (sadly) seen far too many people denied boarding because they put their married name down but their documents were in their maiden name. They bring the marriage doc that was signed they day before and are told it is not an official document (since it hasn't been certified by the state yet) and therefore they can't prove the name and don't get on.

Just curious--if you wanted to book using your new name (and not your maiden name and the name on your passport), at what time would the marriage certificate be valid to show that you now have a new last name?

Just curious--if you wanted to book using your new name (and not your maiden name and the name on your passport), at what time would the marriage certificate be valid to show that you now have a new last name?

For travel purposes, I would think never. Your legal name is the one on your social security card and simply having a marriage certificate does not change that. Keep in mind that not all married women change their names. It is a choice. In order to change your name, you have to change it with social security and then through all the other channels (DMV, Passport Authority, etc.) Given the restrictions on travel in recent years, I would not think that a marriage certificate would be enough.

When you receive the certified copy from your local vital statistics office. the paper you sign on your wedding day is not a legal court document and will never be accepted as the official document for boarding purposes.

Archived