Independence of the Seas back in Port Everglades

emmy

Unfortunately, I have to agree with previous posts about the service in the specialty restaurants. For the last five years we have eaten in the specialty restaurants on the Royal Caribbean ships every night of our cruises. We know how wonderful the food and service can be and now with our experience of three nights in the specialty restaurants on independence, we know how poor the food and service can be. It was too bad that they could not get their act together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just made reservations for our group of 10 at Chops taking advantage of their set sail dining, 30% off for the 1st night(Jan 7th). I sure hope they have all the kinks worked out especially since 4 of the group are new to RCCL and cruising.:eek:

Hi, Bill and Rosie! Hope you will post after your January cruise to let us know if things have improved.

We had a new server at Portofino on the first night and service was very slow. He was a nice guy, but seemed overwhelmed. Ray's steak was okay - he first ordered Osso Buco (sorry, don't know how to spell that) but they couldn't find it. They knew a new supply had come on board, but didn't know where it was. My t-bone was not that great.

I loved the Indy back in 2009 and loved my cabin and many things about it this time around. Hopefully, the issues are just "transition pains".

Overall the service and food in the specialty restaurants on all the Royal Caribbean ships is worth the price. I believe the issues that we experienced while on the three night independence of the seas cruise were isolated.

I will we back on the independence of the seas in January, for an eight night cruise, and I have no hesitation at eating in Portofino or Chops each of those eight nights.

Bill

I agree with other posters. I felt like Indy was not ready for us and very chaotic. I got the wrong coupon book, and no amenity the whole sailing, even after I mentioned it to the Loyalty Ambassor. The experience in Chops the first night was awful but I'm sure they will get that straight pretty quickly. The whole snafu of not getting to go to Nassau was disappointing and was difficult for the staff to handle on such short basis. Our cabin steward told us that now on Indy, all beds are put together (even if you request them apart) and then they will seperate them if you request it. Strange. We also had a staff member tell us there was no Loyalty Ambassador for our sailing and that they had not have one for the last several sailings - which of course was not true. The merchandise in the gift shop was lacking and a lot still left from the Transatlantic. Things were missing from the buffets as mentioned. I'm sure this was just a little extra crazy because it was the first one after the Transatlantic. I'm sure it will get better. We had a wonderful time but did notice it was not up to Freedom standards.

The weather was perfect. We had a wonderful time. I'm sure they will get things worked out soon. :D

E-Beth

Independence is a great ship. Cruised 4 times on her from UK. Went through Bay of Biscay (A renowned area for rough seas in Europe) in hurricane force winds. Took it well. Would have been on her again if she had sailed from UK this winter. Joff Eaton is a brilliant cruise director with an admittedly British sense of humor. Think John Cleese but better.

Selswick

Overall the service and food in the specialty restaurants on all the Royal Caribbean ships is worth the price. I believe the issues that we experienced while on the three night independence of the seas cruise were isolated.

I will we back on the independence of the seas in January, for an eight night cruise, and I have no hesitation at eating in Portofino or Chops each of those eight nights.

Bill

It is the food on the rest of the ship that I am concerned about considering what I have read the past few days.

I agree with other posters. I felt like Indy was not ready for us and very chaotic. I got the wrong coupon book, and no amenity the whole sailing, even after I mentioned it to the Loyalty Ambassor. The experience in Chops the first night was awful but I'm sure they will get that straight pretty quickly. The whole snafu of not getting to go to Nassau was disappointing and was difficult for the staff to handle on such short basis. Our cabin steward told us that now on Indy, all beds are put together (even if you request them apart) and then they will seperate them if you request it. Strange. We also had a staff member tell us there was no Loyalty Ambassador for our sailing and that they had not have one for the last several sailings - which of course was not true. The merchandise in the gift shop was lacking and a lot still left from the Transatlantic. Things were missing from the buffets as mentioned. I'm sure this was just a little extra crazy because it was the first one after the Transatlantic. I'm sure it will get better. We had a wonderful time but did notice it was not up to Freedom standards.

The weather was perfect. We had a wonderful time. I'm sure they will get things worked out soon. :D

E-Beth

Why should a trans-Atlantic turn a ship into chaos?

My Indy 6 nighter in March will be my 4th with Royal Caribbean but will be my significant other's very first cruise. I've always had great overall experiences with RCI, I'm looking forward to reading everyone's reviews in the coming months.

Our second cruise on Enchantment was right after she repositioned back to Ft Lauderdale. If it had been our first cruise we might have not come back for more.

Nothing in particular, but I think as others mentioned - a little chaotic, a little flat. There was also the delay in getting on due to the Coast Guard inspection so we were all a little frustrated by the wait. So we were not off to a good start and that probably tinted some of our feelings about the cruise.

• 5 weeks later...
I just checked te webcam, is she docked today? Is she doing a 6 or 8 nightwear today?

Unfortunately the Independence is out of camera range at berth 29. She will be doing a 6 night cruise.

Sail away time according to the port schedule is 5:30pm

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com

http://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com

Unfortunately the Independence is out of camera range at berth 29. She will be doing a 6 night cruise.

Sail away time according to the port schedule is 5:30pm

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com

http://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com

Thanks Emmy! Just reread my post.....nightwear.....geez, that was supposed to say nighter! Darn autocorrect!!

Archived