FREE CRUISE!!! Ha! Ha!

mistshar

They're just doing their job, no reason to be mean to them. While it's fun for you it could mean that they're missing an actual sale hurting their numbers. Poor numbers can get them fired.

If they were telling the truth about the "free cruise" I would not abuse them but since they are calling me dishonestly they deserve what they get.

If they were telling the truth about the "free cruise" I would not abuse them but since they are calling me dishonestly they deserve what they get.

They are calling and saying what they have to to keep their job. Something hard to come by in this economy for some.

And the cruise itself is free (sans upgrades and airfare etc). Taxes and port fees are not. Same if you won a free car on a game show you still pay taxes and registration on it.

They are calling and saying what they have to to keep their job. Something hard to come by in this economy for some.

And the cruise itself is free (sans upgrades and airfare etc). Taxes and port fees are not. Same if you won a free car on a game show you still pay taxes and registration on it.

Someone I know took them up on their offer and had to jump thru all kinds of hoops to get their cruise. Sorry but from everything I have heard on this it is really a scam and scammers get what they deserve.

Pickpockets also have a job do you have sympathy for them?

I worked at a company that did the free cruises in a different department. The cruises were free if you sat through a time share presentation.

It's not a scam because you will get what is promised to you once you meet the requirements. Taxes, port fees, time share presentation.

A pick pocket doesn't have a job. A pick pocket is breaking the law instead of having a job.

They should not be saying it is a Carnival cruise. That is totally dishonest and Carnival is not happy about it either.

I have to comment on this...

My kids came home from their weekend with dad a couple of weeks ago telling me that he got a call about a contest he entered when they were at Great Adventure over the summer. The contest was for a car or $50,000.

The caller stated that he was still in the running for the car/money, but that he had won a free 3 or 4 night cruise (they didn't remember which) on Royal Caribbean including airfare. All he had to do, it turns out, was sit through a time share presentation. And apparently he did that. Guess when you're divorced and don't have anything else to do with your time other than complain about how poor you are, you have the time to sit through one of these things.

Anyway, he did it and he tells the kids that he got the trip. And it included airfare. Whenever they want to go. Even over Easter break. At that point, I start to tell them that this is not a free cruise, he'll have to pay non commissionable and taxes (I work as a TA so my kids understand those terms) and that I'm sure this company is not going to pay $700/pp for airfare (which is what it's running out of the NE down to FL during our break week). I also tell them that there are usually black out dates and I'm sure the Easter break would not be included. Nope, the little one keeps telling me that dad checked, he can use it whenever he wants within a year. Over and over. So I finally stop.

I guess if he looked into it carefully, examined all the costs associated with it, decided that he would be saving money taking the freebie instead of booking it himself, and if he really did get confirmation that the air, no matter how high, was covered, then more power to him. But I'm figuring that when he tries to actually book this thing, either they are going to tell him that he can't do it, or he's going to get hit with huge fees and additional expenses.

Oh, well. I tried. He never listened to me when we were married, why would he start now?

There is never an excuse to treat a person poorly. If you're not going to use their services/products, say no thank you and hang up.

Sorry but when they call me (and they shouldnt since we are on the no call list) and start off with lies they get what they deserve.

Ahhhh one of my favourite pastimes - the free cruise phone call. What I do is take the call and let them do their spiel. All the time I'm sounding excited on the phone. When the push comes I always tell them I want two rooms at opposite ends of the ship. One room for DW and I and another room for my girlfriend and I. I make up fake names (Rusty Shackleford being my personal favourite) and then give them my credit card number, obviously not my real number, a made up one. Then they go away to validate my card and come back telling me it didn't go through. I act confused and then ask them to read my number back to me. When they do I tell them they have a couple numbers mixed up. They go away again and come back again with the same issue. This time I tell them they have my expiry date wrong. Away they go and inevitably they come back again. "No-no, you've got my security pin # on the back wrong" - away they go again.

At this time I've typically been on the phone for at least 30-45 mins and its then that I let them off the hook. Typically I laugh at them and ask how they enjoyed me wasting their time. I can't post here what their response typically is but let your imagination run wild.

Gee...have some empathy. One day that could be you trying to make a living.

Grow up...next time say "no thanks" and hang up. ;)

Gee...have some empathy. One day that could be you trying to make a living.

Grow up...next time say "no thanks" and hang up. ;)

Making a living by trying to sell something that is a bad deal to me is dishonest and they are breaking the law by not bothering to look up numbers on the do not call registry before calling so sorry no empathy from me in this case.

Sorry but when they call me (and they shouldnt since we are on the no call list) and start off with lies they get what they deserve.

I totally agree - I am registered on the DO NOT CALL list - they call me and I owe them absolutely nothing - neither my time nor my consideration. Yes, make a living and I admire them working where they can but they can read English (I hope) and if not - too bad so sad - I will string them along and play them and maybe next time they will consider my position and others. DO NOT CALL means just that.

Making a living by trying to sell something that is a bad deal to me is dishonest and they are breaking the law by not bothering to look up numbers on the do not call registry before calling so sorry no empathy from me in this case.

Lots of companies use auto dialers and they have no idea what number they're calling.

Two constants with Carnival. Both mean nothing:

I am sorry

I will look into that

I don't think if they weren't going to look into it they would have called me for more info after they had already emailed me. It took him time and effort to make that call. I feel I did what I could so it is up to them what they do now. The way he talked though I believe they are going to look into it.

Lots of companies use auto dialers and they have no idea what number they're calling.

Auto dialers - at least in Canada - "should" not dial a DO NOT CALL number. The individual or company has to personally dial the number and that number is on a do not call and they still put the call through knowingly they get what they deserve and that does not and will never include my respect or courtesy

Auto dialers - at least in Canada - "should" not dial a DO NOT CALL number. The individual or company has to personally dial the number and that number is on a do not call and they still put the call through knowingly they get what they deserve and that does not and will never include my respect or courtesy

likeicon7.gif

Last I checked, auto dialers are not legal. Telemarketers are supposed to manually dial numbers and verify the number is not on the No call list. If one really wanted to press the manner, one could file a lawsuit against them, but most of course do not.

I have no idea about the legalities of auto dialers. I know many people desperate for a job take one at call centers and don't deserve to be treated like some boast about.

It's easy to say "well they work for an immoral company they deserve it" when you're not the one desperate for a job and will take whatever you can to feed your family.

Of course if these people morally objected to this job and remained on welfare or unemployment people would be crying "get a job, freeloader!"

One more "dishonest" telemarketer one less person on unemployment.

They don't deserve disrespect for doing their job and working and I'm appalled at the lack of empathy

I have no idea about the legalities of auto dialers. I know many people desperate for a job take one at call centers and don't deserve to be treated like some boast about.

It's easy to say "well they work for an immoral company they deserve it" when you're not the one desperate for a job and will take whatever you can to feed your family.

Of course if these people morally objected to this job and remained on welfare or unemployment people would be crying "get a job, freeloader!"

One more "dishonest" telemarketer one less person on unemployment.

They don't deserve disrespect for doing their job and working and I'm appalled at the lack of empathy

I have no problem with their job and them doing their job but a part of their job is to confirm that you are not on the DO NOT CALL list and this is where the problems arise. If I am on this list DO NOT CALL ME if I am not on this list then have at it. I am not responsible for their employment or unemployment and respect them for whatever choice they make - I am a consumer who has made a choice to be on a DO NOT CALL list and ask for that to be respected.

Archived