Share you photos of S class atrium trees

dln929

They're all beautiful and all different, from the starkly modern "rooted" tree of the new Reflection to the charming "reminds me of a Chinese box" red one on the Solstice. Will you share your tree photos? I'd love to see them!

They're all beautiful and all different, from the starkly modern "rooted" tree of the new Reflection to the charming "reminds me of a Chinese box" red one on the Solstice. Will you share your tree photos? I'd love to see them!

Yes, below are a couple of my pictures of that interesting central area of the Solstice. Lots of more Solstice pictures on my live/blog below, including food, entertainment, ship features, etc.

THANKS for asking! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,951 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On the Solstice, here’s a view of that hanging tree in the special “box” with some of magical atrium showing in this central part of the ship!:

SolsticeTreeHangingAtrium.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the relaxing library in this shot and a couple of trees here. Classy design on this ship! Some tradition, but not too dated or old.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

Great photos, Terry! I tried taking a photo of the atrium tree when we were on the Solstice but I couldn't get it to "fit" into my point-and-shoot photo frame well enough to satisfy me so I gave up. Thanks for sharing yours. I love the Solstice. :)

We were on the Equinox 11/5 cruise. This was our first time on a Solstice ship. I was wondering -- how do they water the trees. On the Equinox I thought I saw some pipes in the tree stand and was wondering if that's how they water them.

Curious minds would like to know.

Many thanks

Great photos, Terry! I tried taking a photo of the atrium tree when we were on the Solstice but I couldn't get it to "fit" into my point-and-shoot photo frame well enough to satisfy me so I gave up. Thanks for sharing yours. I love the Solstice. :)

Appreciate, Deirdre, for the added comments. On the challenge of getting it ALL to "fit", part of my secret is have a 10-20 mm wide angle lens. As shown in the picture below of the Solarium area, with such a lens you can better capture and share these types of unique and special areas. Very helpful in places such as St. Petersburg, Rome and other Europe locations to get various Cathedral and palace interiors, etc. With such a lens on my Nikon D3100 camera I can better show the drama from many unique setting on a great ship like the Solstice.

For watering those trees? Good question!! I am sure the answer is that . . . you do it by being very, very careful. Don't want to have it dripping down below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 111,951 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

We were on the Equinox 11/5 cruise. This was our first time on a Solstice ship. I was wondering -- how do they water the trees. On the Equinox I thought I saw some pipes in the tree stand and was wondering if that's how they water them.

I expect that would be the way as I saw similar, with irrigation through the piping holding it in place.

Fortunately the trees don't require a lot of water, especially as they're constrained in those 'pots' so there shouldn't be any risk of overflow.

I think the tree on Solstice has grown quite a bit since I took these pictures in May 2011!

Looks like a different tree Essiesmom. See how the trunk divides at the bottom on yours? Maybe they weren't happy with it and changed it? :confused:

Check out this web page for information about Reflection's atrium tree:

http://celebritycruises.tumblr.com/post/34308583312/celebrity-cruises-celebrity-reflections-atrium-tree

Very interesting, thanks. The "Seductiveness of a Reflection" indeed. :)

I will appreciate it a little more when I see it in real life, now I know the idea behind it.

It doesn't mention the type of tree it is - anyone know?

Very interesting, thanks. The "Seductiveness of a Reflection" indeed. :)

I will appreciate it a little more when I see it in real life, now I know the idea behind it.

It doesn't mention the type of tree it is - anyone know?

Based on the distinctive twisty look of the trunk and the size of the leaves, I'm pretty sure it is a ficus benjamina, or what's commonly called a weeping fig. This is a tree that is commonly grown indoors. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2470/

Based on the distinctive twisty look of the trunk and the size of the leaves, I'm pretty sure it is a ficus benjamina, or what's commonly called a weeping fig. This is a tree that is commonly grown indoors. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2470/

Yes! I should have known that as I have had houseplants that look exactly the same in miniature, come to think of it :rolleyes: :)

I'm definitely giving Reflection the most interesting looking pot award.

What isn't apparent in the photos here is that the ends of the branches in the reflected metal tree under the living tree have tiny lights at the ends, some of which undulate. These aren't roots, as I originally thought, but represent the reflection of the branches of the living tree above.

I love all the photos of the atrium trees! I read somewhere that the suspended trees were actually an idea that came late in the process of designing and building the Solstice. I'm glad they took the idea and ran with it and made them a feature in all the S class ships.

Archived