Do you have to pay for norovirus treatment ?

Tizzy

Can someone please clarify the position regarding treatment onboard ship for Norovirus ? I was under the impression treatment was free if there is a huge outbreak but I read something yesterday that said people had been charged for an injection to ease the symptoms. Thankfully it is something I have never had during all my years of cruising but the huge outbreak on Oriana is somewhat worrying. I would be interested to know how much treatment costs initially. Presumably you can claim on insurance... or maybe not ???

The treatment used to be for free. I am not sure about now though.

One word of warning. Cruise lines can and will LIE about outbreak numbers as they have found a legal loophole that allows them to lie and get away with it.

A cruise line can only confirm an infected person by taking a stool sample and having it tested. Therefore the numbers of confirmed cases they are reporting is ONLY BASED ON CONFIRMED LAB TESTS. As for the high numbers of other passengers who have symptoms if the cruise line does not test you then they do not have to declare you have the virus and as a result can just confine people with "symptoms" to their cabins. That is why many ports ban sick passengers from going ashore or even ban a ship from entering port.

Regarding the Oriana cruise just returned P&O have stated that passengers will not be charged.

I'm not sure what "treatment" people might expect. I thought the best thing was rest and lots of fluids/water. For the safety of others, confined to cabin is a sensible precaution.

Fortunately most norovirus lasts about 24/48 hours, although you may feel well, you may still be infectious. AFAIK there is no cure as such, just releif of symptoms. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and stop eating. As said, it clears up quite quickly, but can spread like wild fire.

Tizzy I think you are getting confused with the injection for sea sickness ! This costs £40-50, given in the sick bay by dr/nurse. Taken when very unwell with sea sickness...?

Unfortunatly most peoples insurance has a £50 no claims bonus :rolleyes:

Even though there is no treatment as such for the virus, there is normally a charge to visit the Doctor while onboard - and costs for medication such as anti-nausea medication and anti-diarrhea medication.

Perhaps this may discourage people going to the see the Doctor when they think they may have a problem -- it basically costs you 50 UKP or so to get yourself quarantined in your cabin. If you don't see the Doctor - you save 50UKP and don't get quarantined -- but you do spread it over the ship :(

Barry

Even though there is no treatment as such for the virus, there is normally a charge to visit the Doctor while onboard - and costs for medication such as anti-nausea medication and anti-diarrhea medication.

Perhaps this may discourage people going to the see the Doctor when they think they may have a problem -- it basically costs you 50 UKP or so to get yourself quarantined in your cabin. If you don't see the Doctor - you save 50UKP and don't get quarantined -- but you do spread it over the ship :(

Barry

Indeed, there is a financial penalty for being honest. P&O need to re think this one.

Yes I think I got confused LibraLass41 regarding the injections. It probably was the Sea-sickness one I was thinking about.

I agree davecttr it makes sense to see the doctor but people wont always do this. I have been lucky I think and never got Norovirus but I sincerely hope I don't get it on our forthcoming Cruise on Azura. It is everywhere in the UK at the moment which is not good. I usually end up with a cold or cough I have picked up on the flight out.

Archived