Do the room stewards load the toilet paper "over" or "under"?

cruzincurt,

I can assure you from recent experience that a determined cat can unroll an entire roll of toilet paper whether it's hung over or under. It's actually worse to hang it under because they scratch up the wall while pulling on it. I've been pet-sitting my mom's 8-month old. He unspooled a roll of TP, shredded it, and left paper bits all over the house, both upstairs and down. It looked like we had a paper blizzard inside when I got home from work.

That brings up another question. If someone brings their service cat onboard and leaves it in the cabin by itself, is the cabin steward obligated to clean up the toilet paper mess if the cat gets bored and unspools it?

Good one!!!!:D:D

....but what about the bow and aft rooms?........:confused::D

LarryL's statement is only true for rooms located exactly in the middle of the ship (middle across, that is). Bow and aft rooms are still technically located on the port side or the starboard side, even though they're not facing in the respective direction. So the "starboard over, port under" rule would still apply. :D

That brings up another question. If someone brings their service cat onboard and leaves it in the cabin by itself, is the cabin steward obligated to clean up the toilet paper mess if the cat gets bored and unspools it?

Hi, Dee! Obviously, if the cat has been left in the cabin, it is not a true "service cat". Someone has put one over on the cruise line by getting fake certification and is really traveling with their beloved pet. Therefore, it is the passenger's responsibility to clean up after the cat.

LarryL's statement is only true for rooms located exactly in the middle of the ship (middle across, that is). Bow and aft rooms are still technically located on the port side or the starboard side, even though they're not facing in the respective direction. So the "starboard over, port under" rule would still apply. :D

...and none of the above is applicable UNLESS you're Emerald status or higher. Lesser categories get a small pack of 1-ply Kleenex pocket tissues. ;)

I'm just amazed at the triviality of some of he stuff that gets discussed here. Totally amazed.

I totally get your point, but it did make me think. I started to think if one way would be better than another to keep it from unrolling in rough seas, but I don't think that would make a difference. Maybe I remember the roll has a weighted flap to keep that from happening? Now, when I get to my cabin in roughly 130 days, I'm going to have to check. I'll try to put it in my next review.

..Thanks.....now I can sleep tonight.........:D:D:)

Come on, everyone knows its Over in the Northern Hemisphere and Under in the Southern Hemisphere. :)

Exactly. You see this when the ship passes the Equator -- the stewards go from cabin to cabin to reverse the rolls.

Since they don't carry my preferred brand of extra soft 2-ply, I plan to bring a large pack on board with me. It can be used to disguise my rum-runners. I will of course need for the shuttle to stop at a grocery store on the way to pier to let me go in and purchase said paper. At the end of my cruise should any be left, I will leave this as a tip for the cabin steward. In bringing my own paper on board he isn't having to do nearly so much work taking care of me so what's left in a 12-pack should be sufficient for a week of making my bed and cleaning my bathroom. After all, I'm not very messy and I'm always nice.

Hi, Dee! Obviously, if the cat has been left in the cabin, it is not a true "service cat". Someone has put one over on the cruise line by getting fake certification and is really traveling with their beloved pet.

As has been pointed out many times, there is no such thing as certification. Well, in a sense there is I suppose -- disreputable online firms sell supposed certifications!

Edit: It would perhaps have been more accurate to say that federal law makes no provision for certification.

Archived