Those Horrid Aft Cabins

leilow

Booked an aft once (corner aft).

Hated it. Truly! :(

Vibration was so bad, we had to prop books etc against the drawers to keep them shut during the night.

Couldn't read on the balcony since the constant vibration made us nauseous.

Hi Glenn -- how are things over in the Floataway Lounge? :D

We love aft cabins -- but, we've never experienced a problem with vibrations, like you had. Sounds like an old "magic-fingers" bed that you can't find the off-switch for -- yikes! The only down-side that I've experienced with aft cabins is something I learned the hard way: Don't go out in the early morning and sit on your balcony, wearing white pants -- unless you've checked for soot deposits. :eek:

Booked an aft once (corner aft).

Hated it. Truly! :(

Vibration was so bad, we had to prop books etc against the drawers to keep them shut during the night.

Couldn't read on the balcony since the constant vibration made us nauseous.

Also, you can't see where the ship is going, only see where you've been.

Its like sitting backwards in a car or bus. Very strange. :cool:

After that cruise, we thought never again. Not sure what people see in an aft, but we don't care to try and find out.

Hump cabins certainly have an edge over aft for us.

But for those who like 'em - enjoy! :)

I agree about hump vs. aft. I've been in a few aft cabins though. We're you on a Vision class deck 7? Those are the vibration cabins. It hasn't been an issue for us on other ships other than sometimes pulling into port. Soot was a major issue on Navigator due to no overhang. The biggest disappointment to me is that while cruising in foggy areas the fog horn can't be heard. Some probably prefer this but I love the sound and want to hear it.

If I can't get a mid hump - very mid - I prefer as far forward as possible when on Vision class. The best pictures of the captain on the bridge are taken from there. I find movement of the ship irrelevant because contrary to popular belief, the rocking isn't a whole lot different anywhere on the ship. If it's rough, it's felt everywhere. And I like feeling it anyway.

The biggest draw of an aft I would think should be to accommodate large groups traveling together. I guess I don't need a giant balcony since I am more likely out doing things on the ship. I prefer a larger cabin so DH and I aren't in each others way trying to get ready.

That being said, I have 2 afts booked. The famous 1100 since we will be with friends who will visit our room. And a mid aft because it was 1 of only 5 rooms left and the others were so far back on each side that I preferred the privacy and center wake view. I'll switch if something forward comes up since it's Vision. As of now the JS are sold out.

I agree about hump vs. aft. I've been in a few aft cabins though. We're you on a Vision class deck 7? Those are the vibration cabins.

...out.

No, it was the Caribbean Princess where we had the aft cabin.

On the positive side, it was very quiet - no noise from hallway. We didn't mind the walk at all.

The problem was Mostly the vibration.

:)

No, it was the Caribbean Princess where we had the aft cabin.

On the positive side, it was very quiet - no noise from hallway. We didn't mind the walk at all.

The problem was Mostly the vibration.

:)

OH, I don't know about the other cruise lines. I do know it depends on the ship engine types and the deck you are on. Deck 10 on Radiance class is generally a non-issue.

Gina

Hi, my name is Chuck and I am an aftoholic.... so much that we booked one of the new post drydock deck 12 aft balconies on Navigator sight unseen...:D

Well, at least that is what the website and RCCL agent said...:eek:

There were no deck plans available when we booked, so based on experience, we expected the stateroom that we booked to be on the very back. Not so much. The deck plans finally showed up on the website and our aft cabin is actually far forward....:confused:

When you go to book online for a post drydock deck 12 balcony, it still says AFT but it is clearly forward....

Oh well, I guess I don't get my fix on this cruise, but the next one we book..:D

We are staying in an aft for the first time on our New Year's cruise (FOS 1704)! Looking forward to trying it. I'm hoping that cabin might be a wee bit bigger than a normal D1, but I'm not banking on it. It will be me, DH, DD11 and DD6.

enjoy your cruise. you will enjoy the aft.

We sacrificed last February and took corner aft 1388 on Navigator and will do it again next month on the Indy transatlantic because we have 7408. Taking one for the team twice in one year but, oh well, someone's gotta do it!;)

Way to go team. ;);)

Depending on the ship, aft cabins are the best on the ship (unless you've got the big bucks for the suites). The aft cabins on the Celebrity M-class ships are almost the same length as your cabin. Our favorite cabins by far.

A.S.S. (aft sailing snob)

OK folks, I’ve seen all kinds of high praise and gushing banter tossed around on these boards about those mythical bits of nirvana often referred to as “Aft Cabins” (whispered with a reverent lowered voice). Let me set the record straight on this conspiracy and expose the truth about those hell holes called “Aft Cabins”.

1. These pits of despair really are at the back (“Aft”) of the ship. Imagine yourself on embarkation day, sea pass eagerly in hand with that magic stateroom number (the one you triumphantly hunted down and booked eighteen months ago). You run to the aft elevators, eyes shining in anticipation, hop off on the correct floor and turn towards the “Aft”. You skip down the hallway, carry-on luggage thumping behind, watching those numbers on the doors slowly increase. After ten minutes it’s more like a trudge than a skip, but it’ll be worth it. Thirty-five minutes later, you arrive breathless on wobbly legs at the magical door. Surely the spasms of pain from those calf cramps will subside in a few hours. Maybe a stop for sustenance at the Windjammer would have been a good idea before inspecting the cabin? Then you hear the announcement, muster drill is in ten minutes. Where’s your station? Way back up there by the elevators? Oh Noooo.

2. They expect you to sleep right above those thrashing, multi-ton blades of death called propellers. Soothing vibrations my a**…might as well strap the mattress on top of a rock crusher from the local pit mine. Got any loose fillings? They’ll be gone in a week.

3. Is it a balcony or a slag heap? These “Aft Cabins” are all about the balconies. A few flakes of soot here and there are a small price to pay for the magnificent balcony, right? It’ll be OK, black lung doesn’t kill immediately and I’m sure no one will notice the black streaks on your shorts and tee shirt from that first nap on the slag-o-lounger.

4. Always wanted to ride the Cyclone at Coney Island for seven days straight? You’re in luck! You booked a room at the very end of the teeter-totter. Sorry, the bed does not have seat belts…just keep a death grip on the edge of the bed and you’ll be fine. You remembered to bring that big bottle of meclizine, right?

5. Too tired to make that looong trek for a sandwich and a cookie at the Café Promenade? How about some room service? No problem, a quick call, then settle down with a good book. Perhaps “War and Peace” would be appropriate, it’s going to be a while before room service finds you. Remember to tip the wait staff well, they lost three pound of body weight bringing you that sandwich.

There you have it folks. It’s all a conspiracy by the cruise lines to fill the most depraved quarters on the ship and to have them booked more than a year in advance! Save yourself, call your travel agent now, get on the computer, change that “Aft Cabin” reservation to a nice civilized balcony on the “Hump”. In a most magnanimous gesture, I herby vow to suffer and submit to the terrors of the “Aft Cabin” to save the rest of you from the horrors described above.

Thank you for your attention, your regularly scheduled programming will now resume.

DH and I concur. There are no cabins which offer the peace, quiet or splendid views of AFT cabins.

Keep up the propaganda so others never discover how fabulous they truly are!

DH and I concur. There are no cabins which offer the peace, quiet or splendid views of AFT cabins.

Keep up the propaganda so others never discover how fabulous they truly are!

It is too late. RC already discovered our secret. The new Q ship has nothing but suites there , at least the last I looked they did. Now you get to pay big bucks to have an aft cabin.

You have some valid points but it certainly depends on the ship you are on. Freedom of the Seas only has 2 banks of elevators and it wasn't a great idea to book an aft 6 weeks after hubby's hip replacement surgery. It was a daily hike for him. Now on Princess they have 3 banks of elevators on most of their ships and there are no hikes to any cabins. Also on FOS the afts aren't that great because there is a deck below blocking your view, at least on deck 7. Now a wrap around aft deck in a Carnival suite was AWESOME, and not that pricey but then again it's a Carnival.

You have some valid points but it certainly depends on the ship you are on. Freedom of the Seas only has 2 banks of elevators and it wasn't a great idea to book an aft 6 weeks after hubby's hip replacement surgery. It was a daily hike for him. Now on Princess they have 3 banks of elevators on most of their ships and there are no hikes to any cabins. Also on FOS the afts aren't that great because there is a deck below blocking your view, at least on deck 7. Now a wrap around aft deck in a Carnival suite was AWESOME, and not that pricey but then again it's a Carnival.

This is where people are wrong about aft cabins. The number of banks of elevators is irrelevant. Elevators go up and down only. They do not go front to back. This means you will be walking to the aft elevator on another floor if you want to take it up. If there is no aft elevator, you are simply making the walk on another floor - the one you live on. The number of banks of elevators makes absolutely no difference to how far you have to walk front to back. It only changes the floor you do it on.

Gina

Can any one who has stayed in this cabin on Enchantment give me any Information about it ? IE vibration, soot etc. . This is my first aft in 25 + cruises. Usually in a hump E-2 cabin but want to see what everyone raves about on the 4 nighter.

Any help you can provide is welcome

Joan

This is where people are wrong about aft cabins. The number of banks of elevators is irrelevant. Elevators go up and down only. They do not go front to back. This means you will be walking to the aft elevator on another floor if you want to take it up. If there is no aft elevator, you are simply making the walk on another floor - the one you live on. The number of banks of elevators makes absolutely no difference to how far you have to walk front to back. It only changes the floor you do it on.

Gina

:):) needed a good laugh. thank you

Can any one who has stayed in this cabin on Enchantment give me any Information about it ? IE vibration, soot etc. . This is my first aft in 25 + cruises. Usually in a hump E-2 cabin but want to see what everyone raves about on the 4 nighter.

Any help you can provide is welcome

Joan

First time soot was on Enchantment. But a call to guest services and balcony was quickly cleaned. We liked it so much we have booked 2 aft jr suites for familly on New Year's Eve cruise.Enjoy the view and larger balcony.

Freedom Cabin #7408 august, 2014 western v. Allure, Guarantee Balcony eastern?

will be same price after difference in travel. Fort Lauderdale easier and less expensive to get to than Port Canaveral

Love Eastern more than Western

Have Explorer Cabin #7688 in January, 2014 and Independence Cabin #7408 in January, 2015, so we will have our fix

Will never afford an AFT on the Allure or Oasis so why not try for that C & A upgrade with no restrictions.

Have sailed Oasis, okay, just did not feel like we were sailing but husband loved it-he's not as into AFTS as I am (lol) BUTT....

OH MY, GIVE UP OUR AFT? WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

That is the horrid view of Sydney harbour that we are being forced to see from our AFT cabin on voyager of the seas in feb. The ship does not depart until 9pm and being the middle of summer we are going to have to get onto the ship, get a drink and go to the pool which will have views of the harbour bridge and opera house.

We voyager departs from our aft we will be forced to have a very close view of the bridge.

Our cabin 7688 is tiny. We will hate the balcony.

See how much you Americans are making us Australians suffer by sending us one if your best ships!

I watched this thread closely before our cruise and while we LOVED the aft balcony, we would not book again with the number of people we had in there (4 adults, 1 3 year old). Master BR seemed fine but the other bedroom for 2 adults had very little drawer storage (only 2 nightstands). We think it would be fine for 2 adults with 3 kids who can appreciate the Pullman, but the Pullman didn't work for my 3 yo son (too scared to stay up there) so I ended up on the pull out couch in the living room with my son which messed up our plans for the adults to hang out in the living room area.

Other things to keep in mind on the aft -- because of the number of windows, the cabin heats up. We were in Maine/Canada this past week and though the temps were in the 60's the cabin was in the 80's with the sun. Unfortunately, the air conditioning didn't cool it down well. We finally asked for and got a fan which at least moved the air around. I did not have much trouble with this but my husband who is VERY sensitive to heat did.

Again....not knocking the aft cabins, but be aware of the potential issues so you can nip them in the bud.

Archived