Why HAL?

FredT

My wife and I have cruised twenty total times since we took our first (Honeymoon) cruise 30 + years ago. Last February we took our first cruise on HAL. Until then, we had avoided HAL, mainly due to its reputation as a stodgy, stuffy "old people" cruise line. Well, we loved that trip, (Antarctica) took another (transatlantic) and are looking at a third next year.

What is hard, is to articulate why we have become so enamored with the line. Well, while I am bad at it, another poster here has put my feelings down far better than I can.

SwissMyst wrote:

But yes, these are older ships and the decor is old shoe comfortable and a bit dated and dowdy but overall they are just grand choices for the type of cruising we like to do: low-key, comfortable, friendly, and great intangible amenities like the super crews, itineraries, shore excursions and on board enrichment options. The price is right too.

So in a word.... BINGO!!! Thank you SwissMyst!

My wife and I have cruised twenty total times since we took our first (Honeymoon) cruise 30 + years ago. Last February we took our first cruise on HAL. Until then, we had avoided HAL, mainly due to its reputation as a stodgy, stuffy "old people" cruise line. Well, we loved that trip, (Antarctica) took another (transatlantic) and are looking at a third next year.

What is hard, is to articulate why we have become so enamored with the line. Well, while I am bad at it, another poster here has put my feelings down far better than I can.

SwissMyst wrote:

My sentiments.

SwissMyst wrote:

Exactly............

SwissMyst wrote:

Thank you FredT. In some circles what I wrote might have sounded like a complaint, but now you know it was the just start of another love letter to HAL ships instead. Stolid, not stodgy, reserved, not stuffy and seasoned, not old. That works too. :rolleyes:

Plus our ships look so pretty at sea. When cruising Alaska on the Zuiderdam we shared Glacier Bay with another mainline cruise ship that look more like a massive floating warthog. (Ahem --- no names mentioned.)

I thought how lucky they are because they get to look at US with our sleek, traditional profile and classy blue bottom, plus they get to have US in their photos, while we had to put their massive warthog in the middle of ours!

Thank you FredT. In some circles what I wrote might have sounded like a complaint, but now you know it was the just start of another love letter to HAL ships instead. Stolid, not stodgy, reserved, not stuffy and seasoned, not old. That works too. :rolleyes:

Plus our ships look so pretty at sea. When cruising Alaska on the Zuiderdam we shared Glacier Bay with another mainline cruise ship that look more like a massive floating warthog. (Ahem --- no names mentioned.)

I thought how lucky they are because they get to look at US with our sleek, traditional profile and classy blue bottom, plus they get to have US in their photos, while we had to put their massive warthog in the middle of ours!

Think I know who you mean, but warthog looks odd from the front. I think the ship you are referring to is more like a baboon because of its ugly rear end. I love our navy blue hulls and beautiful raked bows.

Think I know who you mean, but warthog looks odd from the front. I think the ship you are referring to is more like a baboon because of its ugly rear end. I love our navy blue hulls and beautiful raked bows.

BINGO, solocanadian!!!! I believe you are exactly right. :p:cool::rolleyes:

Every time we are on HAL and parked in a port next to other ships, we always mention how elegant our ship looks next to the others. The blue color makes the ships look different from all of the others and I believe that sets the tone for the entire experience. When we go on other cruiselines, sometime during the sailing we always end up asking ourselves "why?" and then always end up back on HAL.

HAL was our "first" and I think that has something to do with it, but we're always so glad to be "back home" when we walk onto a HAL ship. It is a feeling of familiarity. Right now we have two sailings booked for 2013 on HAL and we're very excited about them.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived