Norwegian Jewel December 16-23 2012 - Florida and the Bahamas

xenagurl

Great job, Xena! Thank you very much, as I have been researching the Jewel for Dec.'13 from NOLA. We'll be on the Star in 11 days, but hope to sail out ofNYC someday. Am enjoying the photos on your blog as well. steve

Great job, Xena! Thank you very much, as I have been researching the Jewel for Dec.'13 from NOLA. We'll be on the Star in 11 days, but hope to sail out ofNYC someday. Am enjoying the photos on your blog as well. steve

Thank you for checking it out Steve. Please let me know if you have any Jewel questions that I can help with. I can never talk too much about travel! :)

Love the pictures and review. Thanks for posting!

We are going on the Jewel Jan 6.

Thank you!

You're going to have a great time, Captain Lars is really nice, there's wonderful crew and staff and lots of talented people on board. Bon Voyage!

Hi Xena!

I usually don't read the Bahamas reviews because it's not my favorite itinerary but then I spotted your name. You did such a great job on our Star to Bermuda cruise with photos and interviews. Looking forward to another one of your great reviews!

Hi Xena!

I usually don't read the Bahamas reviews because it's not my favorite itinerary but then I spotted your name. You did such a great job on our Star to Bermuda cruise with photos and interviews. Looking forward to another one of your great reviews!

Thank you Pat! I hope that it's interesting and/or useful. I'm finishing up the writing and will hopefully be done with the photos too by tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interview with Jean-Pierre Parent (JP) Magician on the Norwegian Jewel.

http://travelxena.com/interview-with-jean-pierre-parent-magician-on-the-norwegian-jewel/

Day 4 – Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

Norwegian Cruise Line’s own private island! We’d been here twice before in 2010 at the beginning of 2012. The one and a half year difference was enough to see the vast changes and improvements that had been made to the island. So we we are definitely looking forward to see what’s in store tomorrow when we get there.

Tomorrow came quickly, we woke late dressed and took the tender boat ride which lasted about 5 minutes and arrived on the island and head straight to the beach. We didn’t see any available chairs in the first section, there was another area with plenty, but I’d brought a few huge blue beach towels from my Epic trip in April and figured we could just use these. After all, we’re on the beach!

Hubby went snorkeling while I did some reading. I’d considered going on one of the huge blue floats, but the Mr. wanted to eat and so off we went to find a spot in the shade and head over to the buffet.

The buffet on the island carried tons of things to eat for vegetarians, lots of salad, couscous, corn and my favorite island/southern style rice and beans. I was so happy to see that choice that I went back for seconds. I saw Felix Esprit the restaurant manager the second time I came from the area and pointed out that I had my second helping of rice and beans. Considering that I was doing a lot of second helping eating on this trip what I decided to do next was an interesting choice.

From not far away I could hear the sound of music, so I looked at the Mr. and said “I’m going to take a little walk that way. I’ll be right back.” When I got over to the area with the bandstand there were playing the cupid shuffle, so I jumped in and as I was about to go back over and sit down it was Limbo time. How could I resist! Mind you I’d just had two helpings of lunch so in retrospect this was probably a silly idea, but when have I let a silly idea deter me from anything! So I danced to the limbo, stretched, leaned back and made my way under. For one practice run and two passes underneath before all of that food took over and try as I might I fell to my knees in the sand. Ah well!

I’d not realized that my “I’ll be right back” had turned into about a half an hour, so before I knew it, my husband had walked over and said “where’ve you been?” He decided to take a walk around the island and I figured it was time for me to go back to the ship. The plan was to go to the gym. Sometimes, I’m so funny I walked over to the tender boat and wound up sitting next to Ignacio the Food and Beverage Director (whose last name unfortunately I do not have) and had a nice chat with him.

By the time the Mr. came back to the room I was laying down playing a game on my iPad, he laughed and said “the gym eh”. Yes well I did a few leg lifts while I was there. No need to run to the gym just yet, After all it’s not as if I was eating 2 meals at one sitting and drinking to my hearts content…okay, okay, I should have went to the gym. I usually go the gym on cruises but for some reason the only thing that I wanted to do was sleep, walk around, eat, walk around some more, eat again and then sleep. Apparently this “tough” year of constant cruising has caught up with me ;)

Later that evening we decided to go to Le Bistro for dinner. As a Latitudes Platinum member I’m offered dinner for two with Sparkling wine at this restaurant (nice perk) and this seemed a good evening to take advantage of that. It’s my husband’s favorite restaurant on the ship so he was happy to be going that evening.

We had a lovely server named Michelle from St. Lucia who brought out our tasty fare. I can’t quite remember what the Mr. at, but I had Scallops as an appetizer, Napoleon legumes for an entree and Crème brûleé for dessert. What chocolate cake is for some people Crème brûleé is to me. Simply scrumptious.

After changing out of our dinner wear, because we do semi-dress for dinner. I wear a dress and my dear husband will wear a dress shirt and slacks (I’ve been encouraging the use of a tie). So after I put on some general “all about” clothing, we went to listen to the talented group Next Stage do a Beatles tribute in the Atrium.

I really don’t think that it matters what decade you were born in, there’s something about many of the Beatles songs that are emotionally touching and you don’t even have to be on LSD to feel that way.

Night number three and this time I was more than ready to hit the dance floor, bot the mister was tired and while I don’t mind spending time and dancing by myself, it seemed to be kinder to stay with him, so I did, and of course had another really long sleep. Notice the eating, sleeping theme of this trip, you’d think we were infants or puppies.

Day 4 – Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas

Norwegian Cruise Line’s own private island! We’d been here twice before in 2010 at the beginning of 2012. The one and a half year difference was enough to see the vast changes and improvements that had been made to the island. ...

Later that evening we decided to go to Le Bistro for dinner. What chocolate cake is for some people Crème brûleé is to me. Simply scrumptious.

Thanks for your awesome review! :D

Glad to see someone enjoys Great Stirrup Cay and creme brulee as much as I do. :p I was on the Dawn in November, telling my travel partner that I had two desserts on my visit to Le Bistro on the Pearl, including a fabulous creme brulee. Apparently, the server overheard my story, because half-way through my apple tatin, he dropped a creme brulee in the middle of the table without any comment. I just love NCL. :)

Another creme brulee fan! Yea! Some people just don't understand the power of the hardened sugar, and creamy custard underneath. LOL :D

That's such a nice story! So very NCL!

Yes Great Stirrup Cay is really coming along, and is set to be really amazing. They're adding a lot to the island.

Thanks for the compliment. It's almost done. Who knew that resizing and naming a few thousand photos would take this long! Haha!

I am so enjoying your review. My BFF and I will be on the Jewel in March. I am also a lover of creme brulee. Do they serve this in MDR or just in specialy rest.? Also, was there any special luncheons going on like the "best of ". Thanks and keep it comming.

I am so enjoying your review. My BFF and I will be on the Jewel in March. I am also a lover of creme brulee. Do they serve this in MDR or just in specialy rest.? Also, was there any special luncheons going on like the "best of ". Thanks and keep it comming.

Thank you. Gizmo911 :) You're really going to enjoy cruising on her. A really fun ship and great crew.

I've not seen it in the MDR but it could be that I missed a night that they offered it. They have regular creme brûlée in Le Bistro the French restaurant and 3 mini creme brûlées in three favors in the Asian fusion restaurant. I didn't have it this time but I think it's green tea, red bean and something else it might be the regular kind. Those are really yummy too.

Hmmm as for luncheons they did have the Jazz Brunch in Le Bistro I can't remember any others but I'll take a look at the freestyle dailies and post again if I see any.

Thanks so much for the great review, Xenagurl. We'll be on the Jewel on March. We sailed her before about 5 years ago, but haven't done this itinerary. I'm happy to hear that you had a great time. I think your idea of a vacation is the same as ours, go with the flow and see what happens (yeah, you COULD go to the gym, but ... ;-))

Can't wait to read the rest of your review.

Creme Brulee forever!

Thanks so much for the great review, Xenagurl. We'll be on the Jewel on March. We sailed her before about 5 years ago, but haven't done this itinerary. I'm happy to hear that you had a great time. I think your idea of a vacation is the same as ours, go with the flow and see what happens (yeah, you COULD go to the gym, but ... ;-))

Can't wait to read the rest of your review.

Creme Brulee forever!

Thanks for checking it out. I'm finishing up the last bits now.

It's a very relaxing itinerary, you'll have a great time! We're definitely go with the flow types. Life is good, were on vacation let's see what interesting things pop up! :D

I agree, Creme Brulee forever! (that needs to be on a T-shirt) ha ha

Hi...was Band on the Run a Beatles type show?

I'll ask my husband I think he went to see it. I saw it but it was about a year ago and I honestly can't remember! Too much creme brulee will crowd the memory. LOL

Great review! After reading that I feel as if I just stepped off the ship myself.... I have to wait till March 27 for the Jade. It will only be my second Ncl cruise ... But reading your reviews you're inspiring me to book more!!

Thank you for the compliment :D

Cruising can be quite addictive! What I really like about cruising Norwegian is the consistency. Across the board there are friendly, helpful people that are really interested in seeing that you have an enjoyable time. The only people that I see not enjoying themselves are people that quite obviously just don't want to.

Be prepared to be sucked into the vortex of constant cruising! LOL

Thank you for the compliment :D

Cruising can be quite addictive! What I really like about cruising Norwegian is the consistency. Across the board there are friendly, helpful people that are really interested in seeing that you have an enjoyable time. The only people that I see not enjoying themselves are people that quite obviously just don't want to.

Be prepared to be sucked into the vortex of constant cruising! LOL

Bring on the addiction then!

Then again I guess it was in my blood all along.... My parents met on a cruise out of NY... My dad was first officer my mom a passenger...:D

Bring on the addiction then!

Then again I guess it was in my blood all along.... My parents met on a cruise out of NY... My dad was first officer my mom a passenger...:D

Awww that's sweet. :D

Great review. We are on the Gem doing the same run in June (2nd time). We booked the private cabana as a group indulgence. We have been to Great Stirrup multiple times and the crowd shot vs. the private cabana reinforces a reason to do it.

It definitely seems like a nice treat, and a great way to have a more "high end" time on the island.

There are extra seats though further along from the first seating area, but the Cabanas are definitely the way to go for a real treat.

Archived