SeaDream Specials

Jim Avery

We are constantly bombarded with email and snail mail special offers from just about every cruise line under the sun except SeaDream. We get the usual newsletters and emails about new itineraries and occasionally some news tidbits from SeaDream but none of the last minute discounted specials from other lines, even Seabourn. Guess SeaDream's passenger load is enough that that type of last minute discounting is not necessary. Or maybe they just don't send it to me in order to cut down the chances of me being on board.:eek::D

In re reading the above, what I forgot to say is that I like the way SeaDream will sail with 75 passengers or whatever it is rather than discounting to fill the ship every time. But we are now able to make last minute decisions and would surely jump on SD for the right price.:D I know they offer Travel Agent pricing on certain voyages giving TAs a very nice break.

In re reading the above, what I forgot to say is that I like the way SeaDream will sail with 75 passengers or whatever it is rather than discounting to fill the ship every time. But we are now able to make last minute decisions and would surely jump on SD for the right price.:D I know they offer Travel Agent pricing on certain voyages giving TAs a very nice break.

Don't think this is always the case - on our Corinth canal voyage in July, last minute discounts filled the yacht with families paying far less per person per week then we did and the yacht was full .what is more concerning, go to the booking page and all cabins are now listed as capable of sleeping 3 (except owner & admiral) talk about changing dynamics if many of those cabins noe have 3 guests.

FT

Don't think this is always the case - on our Corinth canal voyage in July, last minute discounts filled the yacht with families paying far less per person per week then we did and the yacht was full .what is more concerning, go to the booking page and all cabins are now listed as capable of sleeping 3 (except owner & admiral) talk about changing dynamics if many of those cabins noe have 3 guests.

FT

We are certainly on the same page with you concerning the changing dynamics. That is partly why I asked the questions. I would jump on a last minute cruise because maybe then the kids/large groups would be known. I just want to get the experience advertised and which we have had 50% of the time.:eek:

• 1 month later...

It always annoys me when I find "hidden" discount pricing - ie for military, travel agents, airline pilots.

The last, especially, since I am a flying instructor and earn far less than an airline pilot!

I suppose one thinks offering "mates mates" is a common courtesy, so airline pilots count as people in a similar industry.

I suppose we should be grateful to those who defend our country - but then perhaps we should simply pay them well enough and give them proper conditions in the first place (I talk from a UK background. Check out "standard" UK Forces middle eastern toilets compared to US ones!)

And I suppose the idea is to encourage travel agents to recommend SD from personal experience. Although, really, you should be sure to get the sort of TA that has the right type of clients).

But, ultimately, SD has lost me on a couple of trips to other alternativs simply because I have seen they are giving other people a rate they won't offer me.

How they offer such a rate to me without offering it to anyone else (hint! hint!), I do not know. After all, any accountant will tell you it is better to sell 50 berths at full price rather than 99 at half price.

And if everyone knew that early December voyages - say - were to be dumped at cut-prices, they would buy fully-refundable airline points tickets early and just sit on their wallets until November!

Oh well, hang the price. It will be back to SD for us in 2014 - either Colon to SJ or a week on JVD over New Year and a week on SD to recover.

We just got off cruise on SD I that was Jan 19-27, We had just 1 room that was not filled on it. We were told that the complete SD I that was sailing Caribe was sold out 100% till it finished sailing this winter .

Guess no need to have specials pricing.

In fact a few of cruises next late fall/early winter are nearly sold out, with waiting list being taken. We booked March 2014 Barbadoes-Barbadoes (9 Day cruise) and we were 6th reservation sold with over a year to go

Guess SD got a good thing going !!

LOVE THE DREAM:D

And this morning.....

A SD email with a 10% discount on the new Asia voyages.

I know, for us, Asia is quite a stretch logistically and financially.:eek: That might be a factor in others bookings as well. No discounts offered for Costa Rica---yet.:D

Guess SeaDream's passenger load is enough that that type of last minute discounting is not necessary. :::snip::

Did anyone else just receive a "private sale" email from SD, announcing a reduced fare for some of their 2013 March-April Caribbean cruises?

So it appears they DO send out "discount" email notifications. Just don't know how they decide who gets these emails and who doesn't? :confused:

Me Either.:mad: Maybe they dont waste them if you are already booked?? Might make you want a reduction of the fare. Conspiracy Theory Saturday!!

LOL.... Or maybe they just like me better? :eek:;)

Well it only applies to a handful of Caribbean cruises that will take place earlier this year - so that throws one theory out the window since you're not booked until Costa Rica, correct?

But you are also correct in that there is a short, specific period when you can book these lower fares, so if you were already booked on one of these cruises it wouldn't apply anyway.

But you are also correct in that there is a short, specific period when you can book these lower fares, so if you were already booked on one of these cruises it wouldn't apply anyway.

But if I were booked it would make me angry to know that they were going to book a bunch of new people at lower rates than I paid!

By the way, we are not booked until Costa Rica, and we did not get an email. So perhaps they really do like you better CDreamer!

But if I were booked it would make me angry to know that they were going to book a bunch of new people at lower rates than I paid!

By the way, we are not booked until Costa Rica, and we did not get an email. So perhaps they really do like you better CDreamer!

Zimmy, you are so right about being on board with people who paid substantially less than we did for a week, especially when reduced fares allowed them to bring two children under the age of 8. We had not one but several of those on our last SD voyage. Hope none of those mark down weeks are during spring break weeks.

FT

I'm booked in May too! And I didn't get the email either! Yep, they must like you better!

Yes, I'm sure now this is the reason. :p

Seriously have no idea, but what I will say is that it only applies to a few upcoming Caribbean cruises and doesn't extend out into the Med sailings. ;)

I don't quite follow the logic of being upset that someone who booked last minute might be paying less. The cruiseline surely has the right to try and fill the boat, just the same as on an airplane or in a hotel . Often you might get a lower price on the cruise but end up paying far more for last minute travel.

When you buy a dress and the price goes down later, do you go back to the store and try to get a refund?

Presumably the management is smart enough to understand that someone getting a bargain basement price might not fit the profile, and they would be no further ahead, but it is a little grand to think that someone paying less cheapens the experience for you. We have all been onboard with passengers obviously paying the full price, who weren't fit for the product either. IMHO

Archived