SeaDream Specials

Jim Avery

I don't quite follow the logic of being upset that someone who booked last minute might be paying less. The cruiseline surely has the right to try and fill the boat, just the same as on an airplane or in a hotel . Often you might get a lower price on the cruise but end up paying far more for last minute travel.

When you buy a dress and the price goes down later, do you go back to the store and try to get a refund?

Presumably the management is smart enough to understand that someone getting a bargain basement price might not fit the profile, and they would be no further ahead, but it is a little grand to think that someone paying less cheapens the experience for you. We have all been onboard with passengers obviously paying the full price, who weren't fit for the product either. IMHO

Yep. Back to the old passenger mix/kids issue. That is why we need a Cruise Critic charter on SeaDream! I like you guys.:D:eek::D

I don't quite follow the logic of being upset that someone who booked last minute might be paying less. The cruiseline surely has the right to try and fill the boat, just the same as on an airplane or in a hotel . Often you might get a lower price on the cruise but end up paying far more for last minute travel.

When you buy a dress and the price goes down later, do you go back to the store and try to get a refund?

Presumably the management is smart enough to understand that someone getting a bargain basement price might not fit the profile, and they would be no further ahead, but it is a little grand to think that someone paying less cheapens the experience for you. We have all been onboard with passengers obviously paying the full price, who weren't fit for the product either. IMHO

I agree with you. Airlines are notorious for charging widely varying rates for the same service--based on when the passenger booked the flight.

Booking a cruise early gets you a chance to get the exact cabin you want (and that the cruise will be available). But you lose out on any later price reductions--you decide what you is more important to you, and book accordingly.

If I cared what other people were doing I'd think it unfair that someone can get their choice of cabin by booking early and any last minute fare savings as well that the late bookers who don't get their choice of cabins can get. But I really don't care who gets what savings--I paid a rate that I thought was worth what I am getting; what other people pay is just not my business.

As example, we are booked at the going rate for Costa Rica. this enabled us to get very good first class air fare and connections. Waiting till later for the SeaDream booking might have saved a few dollars but I am sure the price for the flights, and possibly the good connections too, would not be available. How do you win? Last minute cruise booking on a drive to embarkation/disembarkation port. Too bad that is not possible in the US on SeaDream.

::snip:: Booking a cruise early gets you a chance to get the exact cabin you want (and that the cruise will be available). But you lose out on any later price reductions--you decide what you is more important to you, and book accordingly. :::snip::

Yes, you may lose out on any price reductions, that's true -- but there's always the chance the fare will go UP as more cabins become more scarce too.

It's basically a crap shoot, but I agree that if you want a certain cabin, itinerary, or deck it is best to reserve in advance.

Frankly. I don't usually know or care what other guests pay. But when a substantial sale allows a bevy of young children on board that would not have been there but for the sale I am irritated. Parents were openly discussing poolside while children were snorkeling in hot tub.

Frankly. I don't usually know or care what other guests pay. But when a substantial sale allows a bevy of young children on board that would not have been there but for the sale I am irritated. Parents were openly discussing poolside while children were snorkeling in hot tub.

Having a bunch of young kids on board a small ship like SeaDream would irritate me as well, especially if families were enticed to bring them along with discounted rates. It might even encourage me to wait until the last minute next time so I could check on the number of kids that mightl be on board.

Having a bunch of young kids on board a small ship like SeaDream would irritate me as well, especially if families were enticed to bring them along with discounted rates. It might even encourage me to wait until the last minute next time so I could check on the number of kids that mightl be on board.

that is certainly an option used by some. More than one couple's voyage has been cancelled due to kids on board.:eek:

I received the "email" from SeaDream on Friday. There are very good prices on all decks. The sailings are March 7 to 14, March 24 to 31, March 31 to April 7 and April 7 to 14. The March sailings are Spring Break time in tne US.

We were on a cruise from Malaga, Spain from Oct 27 to Nov 3. . We didn't know it was a UK school holiday! I've never seen so many kids.

My last voyage was seriously marred by a group of adults(?) from Texas.... should Texans be banned unless they can prove that they have manners? do you get the point?

No I do not. Twice I have seen SeaDream put problem adults ashore, never have I seen them put problem children ashore. Do you get that point?

I received the "email" from SeaDream on Friday. There are very good prices on all decks. The sailings are March 7 to 14, March 24 to 31, March 31 to April 7 and April 7 to 14. The March sailings are Spring Break time in tne US.

We were on a cruise from Malaga, Spain from Oct 27 to Nov 3. . We didn't know it was a UK school holiday! I've never seen so many kids.

Granny Di, are the prices on the email less than the prices on the website?

We were on SDI, also in Spain, during that exact same time. There were no kids on board.

The prices on the website are much higher than those on the email. We were on the Adventure of the Seas out of Malaga. It never occurred to us that it would be a school holiday. The children for the most part were preteens. We were on the Mariner of the Seas for NYE and lots of kids but all ages. In fact the passengers were the most diverse age and nationality wise we 'd ever seen. We enjoyed the Mariner Cruise.

The prices on the website are much higher than those on the email. We were on the Adventure of the Seas out of Malaga. It never occurred to us that it would be a school holiday. The children for the most part were preteens. We were on the Mariner of the Seas for NYE and lots of kids but all ages. In fact the passengers were the most diverse age and nationality wise we 'd ever seen. We enjoyed the Mariner Cruise.

When we booked the SDI cruise for that time period it also never occurred to us that it would be a school holiday anywhere. And it was, for SD, one of the less expensive cruises, as the voyage just prior to the crossing usually is. And less expensive sometimes translates to "easier to bring kids." This was one of those times when I guess it was better to be lucky than good.

We had the best cruise price we've ever had on the AOS. The prices started dropping about 2 months out. I was able to get a Owner's Suite for the price of an inside cabin. We had the reverse happen to us on the QM2. We were sailing from NYC to the Artic circle and back. The price was the most we'd ever paid and we weren't in the " grills". Our table mates on the last leg of the 24 day voyage told us about the deal they got...Cunard couldn't sell the ship so they were offering great deals....RT Southampton to NYC and 4 nights in NYC for £500! SeaDream has New CEO so I would expect a few changes.

We had the best cruise price we've ever had on the AOS. The prices started dropping about 2 months out. I was able to get a Owner's Suite for the price of an inside cabin. QUOTE]

How nice! And I assume that the owners suite gave you a place to hide from all those kids! We had a similar experience happen on Azamara. We had booked a suite but by the time of sailing we were able to upgrade to the owners suite. When we were not on shore, we rarely left the suite. Big rooms, big balcony with loungers - it was all we needed.

No I do not. Twice I have seen SeaDream put problem adults ashore, never have I seen them put problem children ashore. Do you get that point?

Jim, I agree with you completely. I took my two kids on a number of cruises when they were young, but always on ships that were appropriate for them -- large ships with lots of programs for kids. A small upscale ship like SeaDream with just 100 pax is not the place for young kids. It's not fair to the kids because there is not enough to keep them busy and they end up disturbing the adults, especially if their parents don't properly supervise them.

Seems a little "perflexing" on how SeaDream decides who gets the emails for the discounted cruises. Appears most on this board are frequent SeaDream cruisers, but only a few received the email. Any ideas?

It makes no sense to me. We're booked for two future cruises, but the first is not until November. Why would they not send me the email? It wouldn't affect my fare on the other cruises, and it could only bring in revenue.

It makes no sense to me. We're booked for two future cruises, but the first is not until November. Why would they not send me the email? It wouldn't affect my fare on the other cruises, and it could only bring in revenue.

The only time I ever received the discounted e-mail was when it covered a cruise we were already booked on -- the 2nd week of our B2B last summer, showing that the last minute booking was more than $1,000 less that what we had paid, even after all the on board booking and 2nd week discount. Go figure - we were already booked. And of course SD does not lower the price once you've paid. I didn't expect it - but why send me the e-mail?

FT

Final payment is due for our May 25 Black Sea cruise on Feb 24. I've been looking for price drops on the web site almost daily because I had a feeling it was not selling fast. It dropped once earlier this year. Tonight it finally showed up. You can get a Deck 2 GTY for $1000 less per couple than a regular Deck 2. It's tempting to play roulette and possibly lose my booked cabin. May get my TA to check it out tomorrow. Wonder what it's selling for on the discount sites? And SOME of you may get an email with discounts on this cruise.

It's only 1K ($1000 per couple) but I still think it's worth it. We've done GTY's before in the Carribbean and ended up on Deck 4 once and then another time we stayed on Deck 2. You are right, the cabins are all basically the same unless you get half of a Commodore. Right now we have 202 which I picked the day this cruise went on the market, but I can give it up!

Final payment is due for our May 25 Black Sea cruise on Feb 24. I've been looking for price drops on the web site almost daily because I had a feeling it was not selling fast. It dropped once earlier this year. Tonight it finally showed up. You can get a Deck 2 GTY for $1000 less per couple than a regular Deck 2. It's tempting to play roulette and possibly lose my booked cabin. May get my TA to check it out tomorrow. Wonder what it's selling for on the discount sites? And SOME of you may get an email with discounts on this cruise.

Whatnot, as of now the only "specials" listed in the last SD email (and these emails don't come that often) are the ones Granny DI posted one page back on this thread.

If you really don't care which cabin you're in, maybe going the GTY route would be a good option for you.

It's only 1K ($1000 per couple) but I still think it's worth it. We've done GTY's before in the Carribbean and ended up on Deck 4 once and then another time we stayed on Deck 2. You are right, the cabins are all basically the same unless you get half of a Commodore. Right now we have 202 which I picked the day this cruise went on the market, but I can give it up!

We did get one half of a commodore on one of our guarantees. While I wouldn't choose it, it really wasn't a problem. Biggest handicap was the lack of drawers where the mirror is. I solved that by getting a couple of the baskets they return laundry in, and using them as drawers, resting them on the shelf under the mirror. It worked fine. Of course noisy neighbors could be a problem, but that could happen in a non-commodore suite also.

We did get one half of a commodore on one of our guarantees. While I wouldn't choose it, it really wasn't a problem. Biggest handicap was the lack of drawers where the mirror is. I solved that by getting a couple of the baskets they return laundry in, and using them as drawers, resting them on the shelf under the mirror. It worked fine. Of course noisy neighbors could be a problem, but that could happen in a non-commodore suite also.

We have the same opinion as you. The commodore unit is a bit noisier and the drawer issue could be a problem for those who travel with lots o stuff but we would take one again for the right price.:D Beats a suite on the Carnival Triumph.:eek:

Archived