QE II norovirus?

macsback

my wife and i were on that xmas cruise and we reported ourselves. they gave us a shot and told us to stay in the cabin [almost 2 days] TRUST ME IF YOU GET THE VIRUS YOU DONT WANT TO LEAVE THE BATHROOM:D

Suprised to read you received a shot.

As I said in my post #147, the Dr, gave me no medication of any kind, simply confined me to my cabin for 4 days, on that vey poor room service diet as prescribed BY HIM, and I did not have Norvirus, simply I had eaten a bad Hamburger.

My symptoms lasted less then 12 hours, it was the cabin stweard who reported that I was "sick" when I said I did not need my cabin cleaned.

The Medical staff change with every cruise I believe, and as with other staff some are very very good and some are very very bad.

It just depends on your luck of the draw, which you get.

How is norovirus gastroenteritis diagnosed?

In special cases, when there is an outbreak of gastroenteritis there is a need to identify norovirus as the cause of the illness. In these cases, norovirus can often be found in stool samples of infected persons by using special tests. Sometimes blood tests looking for antibodies against norovirus are also performed, when the stool tests are inconclusive or were not done. Food handlers will often be asked for a stool sample or even a blood sample to help investigate the cause of an outbreak.

-copied from http://www.nps.gov/public_health/info/factsheets/fs_noro_gen.htm

(More info regarding Noro at that site)

Suprised to read you received a shot.

As I said in my post #147, the Dr, gave me no medication of any kind, simply confined me to my cabin for 4 days, on that vey poor room service diet as prescribed BY HIM, and I did not have Norvirus, simply I had eaten a bad Hamburger.

My symptoms lasted less then 12 hours, it was the cabin stweard who reported that I was "sick" when I said I did not need my cabin cleaned.

The Medical staff change with every cruise I believe, and as with other staff some are very very good and some are very very bad.

It just depends on your luck of the draw, which you get.

we got sick on day 2 [after we each had a burger] i called medical ,they described my symptoms to a tee. maybe an hour later a nurse show up with the shots and paperb work for what to do. they advised light food but we could not keep water down or in [yuck]. they called us a few times,room service asked to do the room but we said not yet. a very brave crew cleaned the bathroom twice,room service would bring us just about anything. we did not get charged for missed excursions [we were too weak] bottom line if im gonna get sick let it be on the qm2. they handled it quite well. imho

we got sick on day 2 [after we each had a burger] i called medical ,they described my symptoms to a tee. maybe an hour later a nurse show up with the shots and paperb work for what to do. they advised light food but we could not keep water down or in [yuck]. they called us a few times,room service asked to do the room but we said not yet. a very brave crew cleaned the bathroom twice,room service would bring us just about anything. we did not get charged for missed excursions [we were too weak] bottom line if im gonna get sick let it be on the qm2. they handled it quite well. imho

Do you know what the shot was?

i searched...........25 mg promethazine hydrochloride

Thanks! I wondered what sort of meds they would give for Noro. I googled it and I see it's an anithistamine. Among other things, it's used as a light sedative and as an antinausea med. Since sleep is always good for illness, and not throwing up is something one wishes for when one has Noro, that makes sense. I wonder if that's the same shot they give for seasickness, since it's also listed as a treatment for motion sickness.

partial quote

... I wonder if that's the same shot they give for seasickness, since it's also listed as a treatment for motion sickness.

What medication do you have on board to help deal with sea sickness?

The doctors will prescribe tablets called Avomine in the first instance. If, after taking these, you still feel sea sick, they can administer an injection called Promathezine.

There will be a cost involved for either of these which will be advised on board. You should ensure you have adequate travel insurance prior to travelling... copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/seasick_med

Additional information regarding Promathezine can be found here http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682284.html

we were charged 100.00 each which is unreal cheap by american prices. plus they came to us.. and we didnt have to be formal dressed:rolleyes:...i think doctors stopped house calls in the US in the 1960,s.i think my medical insurance would laugh at paying such a small bill...........heck i wanted to tip medical. i do still feel bad for the very old or young that got it or large families with one bathroom:eek:

• 5 months later...

Archived