Getting from Seattle HAL pier to Vancouver airport?

DaveOKC

Does HAL provide transfers to the Vancouver airport after cruises from Seattle (I know they do it the other way around - Vancouver pier to Seattle airport)?

Are there any other ways to do this route? It will be in very late Sept (post AK season), so this could be an issue.

DaveOKC

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises and I have never heard of HAL providing transfers from Seattle to the Vancouver airport. I always read the options on the forms given to us and never saw that one.

In fact one year, HAL stopped transfers from Vancouver to Seattle after the 1st or 2nd week in September leaving a lot of people to scramble to find transportation.

We have discovered that renting a car and driving the 152 miles is a good way to make the trip. For our May 2013 trip, I will pick up the rental car at the Vancouver airport and drive to the Seattle airport. There coul be a 30-minute wait at the border depending on what day of the week you are traveling

National Rental Car cost $78 plus gas.

I agree Quickshuttle is your best bet. You may have to take a taxi to Seatac to catch it in late September though. From there it will take you to Yvr.

I am curious though: I have never heard of someone coming from Seattle to fly out of Vancouver - most of us try to do the opposite:D

I agree Quickshuttle is your best bet. You may have to take a taxi to Seatac to catch it in late September though. From there it will take you to YVR.

There is always a stop in downtown Seattle that is closer to the pier than Seatac Airport. Seatac Airport is outside of Seattle on the way to Tacoma, so it is quite a bit further than downtown Seattle. The downtown Seattle stop is always available year-round. You would have to take either the local bus, which stops outside of the pier area (up a flight of stairs) or a taxi to get to the downtown Seattle stop for Quickshuttle. Quickshuttle will then take you from downtown Seattle with some more stops along the way, across the border, and to YVR.

The train would be another option, although one cannot always rely on Amtrak to be on time (so take that into account for your itinerary). The route north of Seattle can be impacted by closures if there are heavy fall rains that cause mudslides (which means Amtrak puts you on a bus.) It's about a 3.5 hour train ride and if I recall correctly, has a stop about 6 km (a quick cab ride) from the airport.

I agree Quickshuttle is your best bet.

I am curious though: I have never heard of someone coming from Seattle to fly out of Vancouver - most of us try to do the opposite:D

Well, I am looking at doing a 7 day Alaska cruise to/from Seattle and then a 5 day Pacific Coastal from Vancouver to San Diego. The hotel I will be staying at overnight is at the airport (alot cheaper) - thus the question.

DaveOKC

Well, I am looking at doing a 7 day Alaska cruise to/from Seattle and then a 5 day Pacific Coastal from Vancouver to San Diego. The hotel I will be staying at overnight is at the airport (alot cheaper) - thus the question.

DaveOKC

Thank you for explaining. It sounds like a great trip:)

DaveOKC

I was going to suggest Amtrak to Vancouver,

however there have been mudslide issues on

the northbound tracks. Perhaps car rental would

be a better alternative.

BTW, will you be on the Oosterdam or Westerdam

end of Alaskan cruise itinerary?

I was going to suggest Amtrak to Vancouver,

however there have been mudslide issues on

the northbound tracks. Perhaps car rental would

be a better alternative.

BTW, will you be on the Oosterdam or Westerdam

end of Alaskan cruise itinerary?

Thanks - I was looking at Westerdam. I like this better since it goes to Glacier Bay.

DaveOKC

Thanks - I was looking at Westerdam. I like this better since it goes to Glacier Bay.

DaveOKC

DH and I have taken the train from Van to Sea a few times, I think most of the problems with the tracks are in the rainy season, like now!!, but in September the tracks usually have no problem. It is a beautiful ride between Sea and Van. one consideration would be the time table of the train, as I believe the schedule is only once a day!! have a wonderful cruise.

DH and I have taken the train from Van to Sea a few times, I think most of the problems with the tracks are in the rainy season, like now!!, but in September the tracks usually have no problem. It is a beautiful ride between Sea and Van. one consideration would be the time table of the train, as I believe the schedule is only once a day!! have a wonderful cruise.

I considered the train, but the only 2 times were 7:40 AM and about 7:30 PM, neither of which sounded good to me.

DaveOKC

I considered the train, but the only 2 times were 7:40 AM and about 7:30 PM, neither of which sounded good to me.

DaveOKC

Besides, QuickShuttle will take you from Seattle to YVR, Amtrak will take you to midtown Vancouver. I've used QuickShuttle twice and found the service good.

Roy

Archived