Skinny In Italy!

CupKayke

What are your favorite substitutions to keep meals and snacks healthier and lower calorie?

Here are some of mine:

egg whites instead of whole eggs in omelettes

mustard instead of mayonnaise on sandwiches

thinly sliced cabbage instead of rice or noodles in stir fry's

greek yogurt instead of sour cream

Special K cracker chips instead of potato chips

shiritake noodles instead of regular noodles (okay, but not great!)

Post your ideas.

Charlene

What are your favorite substitutions to keep meals and snacks healthier and lower calorie?

Here are some of mine:

egg whites instead of whole eggs in omelettes

mustard instead of mayonnaise on sandwiches

thinly sliced cabbage instead of rice or noodles in stir fry's

greek yogurt instead of sour cream

Special K cracker chips instead of potato chips

shiritake noodles instead of regular noodles (okay, but not great!)

Post your ideas.

Charlene

I am a big proponent for healthy fats, so I rarely do eggs whites instead of whole eggs, but thats just me. If I was having more than 2, of course I would switch to whites.

I use greek yogurt for everything. I make a ranch dip with it, I mix in salsa for a baja type sauce in tacos, and anything that calls for sour cream.

Spaghetti squash is my favorite lately. I don't even miss pasta. And it allows me to have garlic bread without going crazy with the carbs.

I also make a lot of paleo desserts using almond flour and coconut flour, but they are always high in calories (good calories), but calories none the less and probably why I need to lose weight :)

I can't say I really substitute much else, I just try to find new things I like. If I think about it as substituting, it is never as good :)

Hey Ladies! I like all the food ideas. Helps me think of new things to eat that are "good" for me.

I'm sure this doesn't sound like a substitute but I am lucky I get to work on time in the morning.. so instead of the terrible-terrible for you McD's sausage biscuit I used to have every morning... I now take a yogurt & fruit OR I get a McD's breakfast burrito - no salsa & I tear off most of the burrito (outside layer). For me, it's the little things that make life easier and cuts the calories in half.

I also like 100 calorie popcorn - pop it and eat about 1/2 of the medium-sized bowl.

I found some 80 calorie wheat wraps at Wal-Mart in the deli section... I use them instead of bread.

I cut out all the cheese on any sandwich. I just use extra lettuce.

Aldi's had some zesty tomato crisps - spicy thin cracker crisps basically. They were only 110 calories per serving - 4 servings in a bag - lasted me a week. I'm going back for more!

My husband complains a bit but I substitute ground turkey sometimes instead of hamburger ~ I can pull it off best in chili.

A "treat" or seemingly luxurious side dish that is actually good for you?? Boiled... then mashed... sweet potatoes with some vanilla, cinnamon & its-not-butter. Best stuff in the world!!

Farmland sells 30% less fat bacon. 3 strips has like 110 calories. They are smaller strips but good. 2 is enough.

Wal-Mart sells these icey lemon & strawberry cups in the freezer section. I don't know what they are called right now but they are made from splenda and are fabulous. They are maybe 60 calories (or less?) each. If I am dying for a dessert, this is it.

I would love to hear more ideas from others....

Good morning ladies! I also don't do much substituting. I practically live by spark people recipes. They have so many! I have learned to use different ingredients and change them up but they make a fantastic guide. I have made many and 90% of them are excellent. There is a banana muffin recipe that is delicious and 1 1/2 points, 60-70 calories each. Free to join also.

Good morning ladies! I also don't do much substituting. I practically live by spark people recipes. They have so many! I have learned to use different ingredients and change them up but they make a fantastic guide. I have made many and 90% of them are excellent. There is a banana muffin recipe that is delicious and 1 1/2 points, 60-70 calories each. Free to join also.

Would love that banana muffin recipe!

Cindy, is this the recipe you were referring to?

Ingredients

3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1 Tbs baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/8 tsp salt

1 cup mashed bananas

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup applesauce

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin tin or use paper muffin liners.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate bowl, beat banana, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Stir in applesauce.

Stir in flour mixture.

Pour batter into muffin cups. About 3/4 full.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.

If you use paper liners, the muffins stick to the paper until they have set awhile.

Makes 12 servings

Number of Servings: 12

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user *SERENITY.

cruises are us: They is not the recipe I was referring to but I have made that one also. It was very good but in my opinion this one is better:

Banana Muffins with Yogurt. (I changed it up a little)

1 Cup all purpose flour

1 TB baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

3 ripe, regular size bananas

1/4 Cup Splenda

4 oz plain Greek yogurt

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin pan or use silicone, papers just don't work we'll. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.

In a separate bowl beat bananas, sugar, egg & vanilla. Stir in yogurt.

Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until JUST combined.

Spoon batter into cups & bake 15-20 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 12. They have 70 calories each and 1.4 weight watcher points.

I am gonna add a few tablespoons of flax meal to the batter when I make these this weekend. I love to take a couple to work for b-fast with coffee.

Ashley thank you for those sites, I am gonna check them out right now!

Thanks for sharing your substitutes and recipes.

When I can go grocery shopping again, I will

try some of them out for a change of pace.

For my morning Break (not my breakfast) is:

Fred Meyer Greek Non Fat Yogurt 6 ozs.,

1/2 cup frozen mixed berries,

and 1/4 cup Kelloggs All Bran Buds

For a chocolate fix: I like

a handful of Emerald Brand

Cocoa Roast Almonds

Seems like a better alternative

than a chocolate candy bar. :rolleyes:

150 Cals. for a 1 oz. serving.

Only 1 gram Sugar 3 grams Fiber

For a chocolate fix: I like

a handful of Emerald Brand

Cocoa Roast Almonds

Seems like a better alternative

than a chocolate candy bar. :rolleyes:

150 Cals. for a 1 oz. serving.

Only 1 gram Sugar 3 grams Fiber

I love those almonds, so tasty, yet not overpowering!!

I will check out the chocolate almonds. I am looking for a few healthier snacks to take for "pre-cruise" hunger pangs. We leave on a Thurs and don't board the ship till Sat so if I don't pack a few things I will be stuffing Take5 bars and candy in my mouth!:eek: I never worried about this before and did not pack snacks, just bought whatever and ate it. :( Anyone have any other suggestions? Cindy

I will check out the chocolate almonds. I am looking for a few healthier snacks to take for "pre-cruise" hunger pangs. We leave on a Thurs and don't board the ship till Sat so if I don't pack a few things I will be stuffing Take5 bars and candy in my mouth!:eek: I never worried about this before and did not pack snacks, just bought whatever and ate it. :( Anyone have any other suggestions? Cindy

I was out of town one day last week and it was a long day ~ I was so glad I took healthy snacks!! I took a banana and an apple. I wish I would have taken some almonds and a no-sugar natural applesauce.

I made a small list of snacks to put in our suitcases for the pre-cruise (we are going somewhere for 4 days prior to our cruise). I would rather eat the "local/cool/exciting" food but I also want to stay somewhat healthy. I'm struggling to find things I can pack but here is my little list:

Beef Jerky

Dried Cranberries/Fruit

Almonds

Little boxes of cereal/granola

Some of these things could be VERY un-healthy but if you look, you can find healthy versions of them. I would also love some more suggestions.. otherwise, I'll be tempted to get Snickers bars and throw in the suitcases. :(:o

When we travel we usually just pack almonds and jerky (turkey or beef). Along with anything else I can find, lol. The almonds and jerky really keep hunger at bay though. The fats in the almonds and the protein in the jerky is great. Carbs just make me more hungry. I might cook up some paleo cookies or muffins for a treat to bring along too.

I second the chocolate covered almonds (they are covered in cocoa powder not hard chocolate)- very yummy and good for you.

My new favorite snack is fat free plain greek yogurt, 1 splenda, slivered almonds, and dried cranberries....sweet and smooth :)

Weigh in tomorrow - good luck everyone!

Wendy

glad you like them, I will be making them on Sunday so I have them for work all week. Well I weighed in this morning and am exactly the same as last week right down to the ounce! :eek: Strange, I did everything right except exercise. Maybe because I was at 1000 calories 3 times this week. I was not hungry but I should have ate a few hundred more calories of fruit & veggies? I don't know but I won't let it dictate my week. I will start exercising today and make sure I stay between 1200 - 1400 calories this week. Better luck next week! Only about 5 weeks till cruise guess I won't make my 1st weight loss goal because I have 17 more pounds to lose before cruise. I will give it my best shot though! Good luck to everyone today! :D Cindy

Well, I'm down 2 pounds this week (from 151 to 149). I usually weigh every morning and I have been seeing 149 for the last couple of days. I have not been exercising much at all. Need to work on that. Plus - I increased my calories to 1400-1500 a day. I know there is a lot of talk on MyfitnessPal that you need to eat more to lose more.

Cindy - you may drop a lot next week. I know that I have gone several weeks with no loss - and then all of a sudden drop a few. Although I'm no expert, from what I have read, going below 1200 calories is not good. I'm sure you'll have a better result next week!

1 Pound Down :rolleyes:

7 Pounds Total (since Jan 1st - 18 days ago) :)

I knew that I was 1 pound down because I weigh every day but I soooo want to be 2 more pounds down... then I'm in that other area of the scale and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I also have not been exercising enough but I am doing A LOT more around the house and we have a fireplace so last night I brought in a huge load of wood. I also started Leslie Sansone walking tapes last night. I bought a tape that has four stages - 18 minutes, then 30some, then more, and etc.. I did the 18 minute mile with a 2-minute cool-down and stretch last night. I loved it. I now have NO excuses and I can exercise every day despite the weather.

99 days until our European Adventure!!

Good Luck everyone and thanks for keeping this thread busy ~ it really helps to see and hear how others are doing. :)

Good loss this week - down 3.5 to 159 :)

I have been getting up every morning at 5 to exercise....and I am tired. I have been eating back most of my exercise calories (about 1500 per day) and moving more during the day. I figure I am in for a slow week of loss coming up, but am happy for breaking 160....my jeans fit nicely.

Happy weekend!

Wendy

Good Morning all!! Or should I say good afternoon for some of you :)

I am down .6 pounds, and yes I am taking that, especially considering I was showing a gain all week, phew.

This Week - .6 pound loss

Total to go - 13.6 pounds

Slowly but surely :) I think my body is just trying to get used to the extra exercise. I started training for a half marathon after the cruise, eek.

Cindy - dont sweat it, your body is adjusting, and at least its not a gain, but yes do throw in some more fruit and veggies and keep your calories up a bit.

Charlene and wendy - great work, I'm Jealous! )

Kay - one pound is still one pound. You had some big losses, its bound to slow a little here and there, just keep it up, you are rocking it.

Not sure how well this week will go since its my birthday weekend!! Yes, I take the whole weekend (my birthday is actually monday). Not sure what we are doing yet, but im sure it will be filled with poor food choices. I still plan to workout though. I have to cross train for 40 minutes on saturday and a three mile run on sunday.

Good luck over the weekend everyone!!

Archived