what would you do in San Juan from 4PM til 12:00PM ?

buffi001

I've been in San Juan...but it was a typical port day of 8AM til 4 PM.

Our next cruise arrives in San Juan at 4:00 PM and doesn't sail until

midnight. I'm a little leery about strolling around Old San Juan after

dark because of security issues that have been documented on CC.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do during the 8 hours I'm

in port.......ie., take a taxi to ________________ ? The cruise is in late

January. Thanks for any help you can offer.

DH and I have walked from the ship for drinks and dinner in OSJ so many times with absolutely no 'security issue' at all. Use the normal common sense you would anywhere and you are as safe there as any other city. OSJ is not dangerous for cruise pax who don't draw attention to themselve with pricey jewelry etc

Just about always when we sail late, we have dinner ashore. Great food; great fun.

You don't mention your age or fitness level but how about touring the Biolumnescent Bay by kayak? It doesn't get much more "unique" than that. There are only a handful of places you can view these tiny glowing organisms on the planet! Look it up on your cruise planner or Trip Advisor.

Now this sounds fun! Do you have any idea of hours...or how long the tour is??

You don't mention your age or fitness level but how about touring the Biolumnescent Bay by kayak? It doesn't get much more "unique" than that. There are only a handful of places you can view these tiny glowing organisms on the planet! Look it up on your cruise planner or Trip Advisor.

We're doing it through the cruise line and it goes from 4:30-10:45. There are a few tour operators who will do it cheaper but because of the short time in port and the drive (i'm told about 45 min) we didn't want to risk not getting back in time. I'm sure a search of "Kayak Biolumnescent Bay, Puerto Rico" will bring up some options.

Before booking, you should check the phase of the moon when you will be there as they are better viewed some days than others. I believe the days just before during and after the full moon are the worst days.

EDIT: This thread has a few links http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1752895

also a good list here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1738453

if you try searching "biobay" on CC and you will probably find some others.

but, as noted by another poster, poor viewing just before full moon...which is when we'll be there. so, will save that for another visit!

any other thoughts/ideas appreciated! thanks for your replies!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Julie, that sounds pretty cool. In San Juan for 2 days pre cruise. Do you know if this is done b4? And how to do?

Thanks Shane

the forts are open till 7pm and you can take the free trolley there. And there is always Senor Frogs!!

TBN hubby here...

That timing is not MY favorite for this port, but, not to worry. Lots to do.

For the WINTER season, the forts close at 4pm according to my memory, and the NPS web site. I don't think you said when your are cruising but the seasonal operating hours are listed here: http://www.nps.gov/elmo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

The trolly is supposed to operate until 7pm and, for a quick overview might be your cup of tea.. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/ It is a 'jump on/off' operation so you can stop and look as you wish. And it is FREE! I would suggest riding up to the fort FIRST and then getting off and walking back down to the port while enjoying the surroundings. Hint. If the trolly boarding point No. 1, is crowded, walk to your left (facing land/uphill -- ship behind you) to the 'last stop' and board there... I think it is stop 14 on the trolly map.

Otherwise........... Lots, of great places to eat are open late. Lots of shops are open while ships are in port.

A small open-air market in the plaza just off the end of the pier is always interesting with local crafts and sometimes a big party (on weekends mostly).

OSJ is beautiful and just nice to walk around in the early evening. A little research of 'short walking tour of Old San Juan' will locate many suggested walking tours.

The views from the Fort(s) areas are spectacular whether they are open to tour or not. If the light is right, the seaside cemetery viewed from El Moro is truly awesome and makes for some lovely pictures. Unfortunately it will probably be closed so you can't take photos from inside.

If the wind is blowing (and it almost always is) there is no better place in the world to fly kites than the large open area at El Morow Fort.

The Bio-Bay tour is great if the moon is right (sorry it is not for you) but I would only do that on a ships tour for such a short stop, 'cause it is a long distance from the ship and the traffic can really be a nightmare in SJ/OSJ (used to work there). Haven't done it, but the if it is available, the Segway tour gets great reviews (caution you must be under 65 years old).

I would highly suggest Night tales of Old San Juan found here:

http://www.***********.com/nighttales.htm

Debbie is an awesome tour guide and gets you into some sites that normally closed at night. She is a local and is one crazy gal, and very friendly. She is very knowledgeable and intermixes facts about Old san Juan and some very interesting "tales."

We will be doing this tour again when we revisit PR.

Two thumbs up for sure!

Debbie is an awesome tour guide and gets you into some sites that normally closed at night. She is a local and is one crazy gal, and very friendly. She is very knowledgeable and intermixes facts about Old san Juan and some very interesting "tales."

Two thumbs up for sure!

I forgot no links. You can go here: www dot *********** dot com for more info about debbie and the tour

Two thumbs up for sure!

I forgot no links. You can find more information on Debbie Molino Ramos and the tour at Legends of PR

TBN hubby here...

That timing is not MY favorite for this port, but, not to worry. Lots to do.

For the WINTER season, the forts close at 4pm according to my memory, and the NPS web site. I don't think you said when your are cruising but the seasonal operating hours are listed here: http://www.nps.gov/elmo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

The trolly is supposed to operate until 7pm and, for a quick overview might be your cup of tea.. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/ It is a 'jump on/off' operation so you can stop and look as you wish. And it is FREE! I would suggest riding up to the fort FIRST and then getting off and walking back down to the port while enjoying the surroundings. Hint. If the trolly boarding point No. 1, is crowded, walk to your left (facing land/uphill -- ship behind you) to the 'last stop' and board there... I think it is stop 14 on the trolly map.

Otherwise........... Lots, of great places to eat are open late. Lots of shops are open while ships are in port.

A small open-air market in the plaza just off the end of the pier is always interesting with local crafts and sometimes a big party (on weekends mostly).

OSJ is beautiful and just nice to walk around in the early evening. A little research of 'short walking tour of Old San Juan' will locate many suggested walking tours.

The views from the Fort(s) areas are spectacular whether they are open to tour or not. If the light is right, the seaside cemetery viewed from El Moro is truly awesome and makes for some lovely pictures. Unfortunately it will probably be closed so you can't take photos from inside.

If the wind is blowing (and it almost always is) there is no better place in the world to fly kites than the large open area at El Morow Fort.

The Bio-Bay tour is great if the moon is right (sorry it is not for you) but I would only do that on a ships tour for such a short stop, 'cause it is a long distance from the ship and the traffic can really be a nightmare in SJ/OSJ (used to work there). Haven't done it, but the if it is available, the Segway tour gets great reviews (caution you must be under 65 years old).

Our cruise to SJ is April- are those summer and winter hours.? Also, has anyone heard anything about Carli's Cafe? I would like to hear some good jazz.

Anyone been to the Old Harbor Brewery? This is the first stop my on husband's list?

• 2 weeks later...
Any other night suggestions besides biobay? I really want to enjoy being in San Juan at night, but will likely do dinner onboard ship

I would suggest night tales of Old San Juan. It is a walking tour and the tour guide is awesome. She is local and really knows her stuff. My family enjoyed it and I even had my mither in a wheelchair. When we go back we are doing this again.

Archived