Getting on a bus in Aruba?

SteveinPhilly

We are not big sun people and so beach is not for us. The thread on Bully Tours seems to show that four people -I have long legs so no 5 in a cab for me -will cost about $40 pp for a 3 hour tour, right?

We are there all day (7-5) and so I want to do something. Friends told me they just took a local bus (#10) to Palm Beach. I'm just wondering if anyone has used public transport here. I often find it fun to just get on a local bus and take the rout round trip. Anyone ever done this? any Aruba locals on CC who can advise?

Thanks! We leave home Jan 13th and are in Aruba on a Tuesday

Bully's tour is $45.00 per hour, not per person. He has a mini van, not a regular cab. He books up quickly, so it is doubtful that he could accommodate you at this late date. We use the bus many times every year. It would be very easy to take it all the way from the cruise ship area to the end of the line, past the hotels of the resort area.

Edited by Hatteras51

Bully's tour is $45.00 per hour, not per person. He has a mini van, not a regular cab. He books up quickly, so it is doubtful that he could accommodate you at this late date. We use the bus many times every year. It would be very easy to take it all the way from the cruise ship area to the end of the line, past the hotels of the resort area.

I realized Bully's rate but I was calculating a 3 hour tour with 4 people at $40 pp per tour. ;)

As for the bus. Would we see anything special on the route? Any special stops to get off - and reboard - to get feeling of the island?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

If you stay on the bus until the end you will pass some beautiful beaches and a lot of hotels/resorts. You should be able to see the lighthouse in the distance. That is about it. You could stop at the butterfly farm on the way down. You could also get off the bus in Palm Beach and have lunch at one of the many restaurants or shop in one of the many stores. That's about it for this bus route.

Have used the local buses a couple of times, they are not new or air conditioned but for the cost you can't beat it. Can stay on the bus and do the round trip or get off at the light house or any of the beaches. This bus goes past most of the hotels so the majority of the people on the bus are folks working at the different hotels and resorts, it stops every few blocks if someone wants off or there is someone to pick up. its hard to take photos from the bus, at least I didn't have much luck, but overall its a good way to spend a little time.

The bus I took to Eagle beach last month was air conditioned. Fare was $2.30. It was easy and quick.

Where do you catch the bus? What route number? It took me a alf hour to find the Cable Beach jitney n Nassau....thanks...

Where do you catch the bus? What route number? It took me a alf hour to find the Cable Beach jitney n Nassau....thanks...

The downtown bus terminal is literally a 5 minute walk straight in front of the ship. I don't know what route I took, I just stepped in and asked the driver if he was going to Eagle Beach and he said yes. Then when I went back to town I just waited at the bus stop I had been dropped at initially. Less than 5 minutes and a bus picked me up. :)

Just a tip, if you walk for more than 5 minutes and don't find the terminal just ASK someone. Don't be that guy! :eek:

• 4 weeks later...
I see that the bus is $2.30, is that round trip? If so, what do they give you for he trip back to show you paid?

No it's not round trip, they don't sell round trip. Each fare is paid when boarding the bus. Easiest thing is to have a $5 bill pp and you'll get local currency in change, keep that change for the fare back and you'll be left with a few souvenier coins. :D

No it's not round trip, they don't sell round trip. Each fare is paid when boarding the bus. Easiest thing is to have a $5 bill pp and you'll get local currency in change, keep that change for the fare back and you'll be left with a few souvenier coins. :D

I thought it was $2.30 round trip. It was a few years ago when I took it though.

Personally, I think the bus is great for getting around if there is a particular place on the route to go, but I wouldn't take it for a tour of the island, because the ride is not all that scenic.

We took it to Palm Beach and it pretty much went straight there with just a few stops. On the way back it stopped at least 2 dozen times, and the bus was hot and not air conditioned. I found myself wishing I had shelled out the money for a taxi so I would have had more time to spend in port

It sounds like renting a car might be the best choice for getting a scenic tour of the island

Maybe the OP will come back and let us know how they spent the day.

TBN hubby here...

Changed last year sometime. In October 2012, we boarded the bus and expected to do the round trip thing that we were used to doing. We were told that it had changed earlier in the year and that you could no longer buy RT tickets on the bus.

Now $2.30 pp for any ride. (We observed that the locals now mostly use a smart card, and for them it amounts to about $2.30 for the RT, but we didn't investigate that option). Smart move on their part. The tourists end up paying the higher fare while the locals don't and the driver doesn't have to make change for all the locals.

Still dirt cheap and the drivers have always been kind and helpful to try to get you to the place your are interested in.

^^^^^^^

Unless it has changed -- again -- Since October there is no 'ticket', as in the past, and no round-trip fare.

No problem you just have to pay each way and you don't have to keep track of the ticket.

BTW I think the fare before the change WAS $2.30 for the RT (where you got the small paper ticket).

If you search 'Aruba bus fares' the schedule and description of stops will appear in the first few results under visitAruba.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
The downtown bus terminal is literally a 5 minute walk straight in front of the ship. I don't know what route I took, I just stepped in and asked the driver if he was going to Eagle Beach and he said yes. Then when I went back to town I just waited at the bus stop I had been dropped at initially. Less than 5 minutes and a bus picked me up. :)

Just a tip, if you walk for more than 5 minutes and don't find the terminal just ASK someone. Don't be that guy! :eek:

Bus terminal is straight out to the main road

cruise_ship_terminal_thumb.jpg

click on the thumbnail to enlarge

On Sunday March 2 I'm planning on having two $5 bills, one for the bus to take my husband and I to MVC Eagle Beach and one to bring us back. And an extra $10 if we decide to cab it back instead.

I know it can change at any time, but as of today will that work?

I don't think anyone could guarantee it, but should be fine. Bus fares have not changed in years and changes in taxi fare are publicized well in advance.

Hi Lisa, I'm pretty sure that bus fare did increase last year. I believe they went up about a dollar per person. Bully told us last time that there were some changes in govt., which in turn, caused an increase in the bus fare. I'll check into it again on our next visit. Your trip is getting close now. I know you must be getting excited.:)

I thought the bus fare had gone up to $2.60 roundtrip but cannot find where it said that. :confused:

YES, getting VERY excited. :D Will see if I can remember to report back on this thread with the exact fare. ;)