Bringing Wine on-board!

OhioGirl

We are sailing on the Dawn on Feb 17th, and I was wondering if NCL is still allowing passengers to carry on wine on the day of embarkment? If so, how much are you limited to, and is there a corkage fee if we drink it in our cabin? Thanks for any information on this!

We are sailing on the Dawn on Feb 17th, and I was wondering if NCL is still allowing passengers to carry on wine on the day of embarkment? If so, how much are you limited to, and is there a corkage fee if we drink it in our cabin? Thanks for any information on this!

There is no limit to the amount of wine that you can bring on either at embarkation or at any of the ports. We routinely bring a case or a case and a half.

The corkage fee is $15 per 750-ml bottle. Larger sizes = larger corkage. No boxed wine is allowed.

By paying the corkage fee, you are allowed to enjoy the wine anywhere on the ship. This includes the dining rooms, specialty restaurants, bars, lounges AND your cabin/balcony. I will reiterate the last part - You have to pay the corkage fee in order to drink in your cabin.

The corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork. Screw top bottles will also incur the corkage fee.

There is no limit to the amount of wine that you can bring on either at embarkation or at any of the ports. We routinely bring a case or a case and a half.

The corkage fee is $15 per 750-ml bottle. Larger sizes = larger corkage. No boxed wine is allowed.

By paying the corkage fee, you are allowed to enjoy the wine anywhere on the ship. This includes the dining rooms, specialty restaurants, bars, lounges AND your cabin/balcony. I will reiterate the last part - You have to pay the corkage fee in order to drink in your cabin.

The corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork. Screw top bottles will also incur the corkage fee.

Seeing that you are in Ky, I assume you fly to the port. I am thinking of taking a case also. Do you normally check it as additional baggage with the airline or ship it.

Rather than paying for inferior wine on board, I am thinking it is worth it to pay the 15 a bottle and take some very nice wines from my cellar that my wife and I will really enjoy.

Seeing that you are in Ky, I assume you fly to the port. I am thinking of taking a case also. Do you normally check it as additional baggage with the airline or ship it.

Rather than paying for inferior wine on board, I am thinking it is worth it to pay the 15 a bottle and take some very nice wines from my cellar that my wife and I will really enjoy.

You are correct! We fly. Always Southwest so we get two bags each for free. We use this: http://www.thewinecheck.com. Have always put some extra in our suitcases also wrapping them in The Wine Diaper.

People complain about the corkage but this is where it is to our advantage. We also bring wines from our cellar that are hard to find, low production. If they even appeared on a NCL wine list, they would be in the hundreds of dollars. $15 is nothing to enjoy a bottle that we know has been properly stored, aged etc.

You are correct! We fly. Always Southwest so we get two bags each for free. We use this: http://www.thewinecheck.com. Have always put some extra in our suitcases also wrapping them in The Wine Diaper.

People complain about the corkage but this is where it is to our advantage. We also bring wines from our cellar that are hard to find, low production. If they even appeared on a NCL wine list, they would be in the hundreds of dollars. $15 is nothing to enjoy a bottle that we know has been properly stored, aged etc.

Thanks for the link for the wine check bag! Definitely going to by one!

TOTAL WINE is the Walmart of the wine industry and they generally have wines which you can't normally find in certain states.

Last time we did the NCL carryon wine, the fee was $15 no matter what size bottle you carried on and the kids were quite happy that their magnums were the same as our private cellar wines.

You are correct! We fly. Always Southwest so we get two bags each for free. We use this: www.thewinecheck.com. Have always put some extra in our suitcases also wrapping them in The Wine Diaper.

Thanks for the tip on thewinecheck.com. Ordered one online last night. Now the tuff part......what wines to take from the cellar :).

Love this idea! where do you get the shipper box from?

Love this idea! where do you get the shipper box from?

We always have wine inserts/boxes around from where we have wine shipped to us from California. Once on the ship, we toss the Styrofoam insert/box and fold up the bag. You can also buy The Wine Check with a box/insert. Others have mentioned they have bought a box from a packing store or U Haul.

Just wondering...is it easy to get your wine in and out of storage? Dont think I need to drink it or leave it in my windowless room.

Very easy. Bring your wine to any restaurant, and they will give you a ticket. You can have it brought to you in every restaurant.

We brought two cases on board the Epic (for six cabins) Christmas week. Purchased just before we boarded the Epic in Miami. Paid at check-in on credit card. $15/750ml bottle.

Have you ever embarked from NYC on NCL?? I did in October last year and the process to pay the cork fee was very lax. The Security guard at the x-ray machine asked if I had wine (in my carry on beach bag) and I said yes. He pointed to a table to go pay for the cork fee. The man at the table didn't ask how many, I just put them on the table. Is the process similar in Miami?

We brought two cases on board the Epic (for six cabins) Christmas week. Purchased just before we boarded the Epic in Miami. Paid at check-in on credit card. $15/750ml bottle.

The corkage fee would not have gone on your credit card. It would have been put on your shipboard account. You would have signed a bar slip that says "Corkage fee X __ bottles." The corkage fee shows up on your account as a charge from one of the dining rooms.

Archived