peanut/tree nut allergies

jaredcoreymama

Both of my sons have peanut/tree nut allergies. I plan on speaking with the mdr staff on day one when we board, but I was just wondering what /desserts we need to avoid and what desserts are safe. I am thinking that the warm chocolate melting cake is safe. Thanks for any advice!

My daughter's fiance' has peanut, tree nut and coconut allergies. There were very few things that he couldn't eat. After speaking to the Maitre'd when you board, the hostess will come to your table the first night and go over everything with you. You can ask them then specifically what he can eat in the way of desserts. I know the cheesecake, melting cake, cappucino pie were just a few of the safe items.

You might look at the desserts before you go in case there is something specific you want to know about.

You can see it here: https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html

I have a severe peanut allergy and an allergy to tree nuts. The warm chocolate melting cake is good to go. As is the creme brulee, baked alaska, cherries jubilee. Those are the ones I remember off hand. I stay away from the cookies because I never know if for example the chocolate chip one touched the peanut butter one. Im pretty leery about deserts on the buffet just cause it is harder to ask someone about it.

My nephew has a severe nut allergy. Is it safe to eat in the buffet or pizzeria when he first boards ? MDR will not be open until dinner. What about room service. Do they need to inform them everytime they place an order ? Do you think room service is a safe breakfast option ? Their biggest concern is cross contamination from a server/cook.

I have a severe peanut allergy and an allergy to tree nuts. The warm chocolate melting cake is good to go. As is the creme brulee, baked alaska, cherries jubilee. Those are the ones I remember off hand. I stay away from the cookies because I never know if for example the chocolate chip one touched the peanut butter one. Im pretty leery about deserts on the buffet just cause it is harder to ask someone about it.

Just an FYI, unless they have changed the recipe, Baked Alaska is NOT SAFE. The meringue contains almond extract as a flavoring. I found that out last time I cruised.

I have a tree nut allergy, let maitre d' know and someone will visit with you each night to make sure he is eating safely.

WCMC is safe. Ice cream (and banana splits!) are safe. Most are pretty well labeled. Baked Alaska was the surprise for me.

Also, note that the cheese plate has a cracker/bread on it that has a nut in it.

DD has also has peanut and treenut allergies. She only develops a rash and itches.

BUFFET---On the Buffet ask the Lido chef for your concerns. DD eats at the deli, salad bar, grill and usually the mainline. Depends on the ship. We don't like Carnival's pizza. She hasn't had a problem with the pesto from the veggie sandwich.

We have only encountered a few things that have nuts in the buffet--walnut dumplings on Thanksgiving and a couple of cake slices.

The Mongolian is a nightmare for those with allergies, we avoid it.

MDR---When first onboard go to the MDR and let them know. The first night might be tough, DD hasn't had a problem. Every night a hostess will come by and take the next evening's order. Watch out for the duck appetizer--has nuts between the duck and noodles. The cheese plate is served with a piece of nut bread.

If they cannot decide have them order both items.

The allergy section of the galley is apart from the rest of the galley.

STEAKHOUSE--Only thing we encountered with nuts was the cookie served with the chocolate sampler.

CLUBS---If the kids are going to be in the clubs there is an Allergy form to fill out. Peanuts and treenuts have to be written in by hand.

At times they do feed the kids-pizza, hotdogs etc. She hasn't had a problem.

TRAVEL---When we travel to countries where we cannot communicate we use allergy cards. I have seen them for sale on the internet. I made up our own.

Remember some people think Nuts are only walnuts and not other things (almonds, pistachios, pecans etc). Encountered that at a local Baskin Robbins. Have to be specific.:mad:

Forgot to add--

Bring your own shampoo. A few cruises ago the generic shampoo was an Almond oil one.

Carnival only supplies shampoo, shower gel and bar soap. No conditioner.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to be super careful. I go into anaphylactic shock. It's not pretty :). Pizza is safe. Be careful of some of the side salads in the MDR as they put peanut slivers on them. Discovered this the hard way. I generally avoid ALL cookies I can not identify. I do let the hostess know and she comes out for me. It's very nice of them to do that I think. I avoid a lot of deserts if I can't ask about them specifically. Oh yeah and I avoid Chinese places like the plague unless we can have good communication. Too many very very scary experiences.

Two of our kids and my husband have peanut /treenut allergies as well. Pizza was safe. Melting cake was safe as well. word of caution though on deserts. One of our non allergic kids ordered a scoop of ice cream and there was a walnut in it! waiter had no idea how that happened!

Pizza is definitely safe. I have a son who is peanut/tree nut/coconut allergic. The one desert to steer clear of in the dining room was the apple pie. Not sure what nuts were in it, but clearly had some nuts on the plate when my other son ordered it. They were very good with having my son order the night before and would even get him things that were not on the menu is they had it (certain vegetables and fruit). Have fun and just make sure to eat in the MDR. We even went every morning for breakfast and had no problems at all. I brought a bunch of snacks with me too for excursions so he didn't have to eat anything unless I brought it off the ship.

One of our non allergic kids ordered a scoop of ice cream and there was a walnut in it! waiter had no idea how that happened!

No matter what items are considered safe, there is always a chance of cross-contamination. But, I'm sure that you know this, and carry epi-pens as well as taking other precautions.

Pizza is definitely safe. I have a son who is peanut/tree nut/coconut allergic. The one desert to steer clear of in the dining room was the apple pie. Not sure what nuts were in it, but clearly had some nuts on the plate when my other son ordered it. They were very good with having my son order the night before and would even get him things that were not on the menu is they had it (certain vegetables and fruit). Have fun and just make sure to eat in the MDR. We even went every morning for breakfast and had no problems at all. I brought a bunch of snacks with me too for excursions so he didn't have to eat anything unless I brought it off the ship.

Bringing commercially prepackaged snacks is a good idea. We usually bring off a few boxes of cereal.

Cannot bring off any fresh fruit/vegetables/meats etc.

There will be whole fruit like bananas and fruit slices like melon on the buffet. I haven't seen the cooks or servers cross contaminating the food but your fellow servers are a disaster waiting to happen. I've seen a serving spoon go into two dishes that are beside each other. That is a big problem for the next person who may be allergic.

Archived