Sky Suites - What does the Butler Do?

oshkosh1

Have only had a butler once - absolutely loved it! One thing he did that hasn't been mentioned yet is make sure all of our shirts (even t-shirts) came back on hangers from the laundry (we used the Elite coupons, and requested this from him). That is something that normally is not done so it was very nice to have clean clothes that did not look like the accordians they usually look like.

We just got off the Summit about 3 weeks ago. Our butler always had a tie on - usually with vest. Did a great job.

Judatt...Who was your Butler on the Summit and which side of the ship were you on? We'll be sailing soon and trying to find out who might be there.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

We have prepaid our gratuities for our Jan 2015 sailing on Constellation. I understand the sky suite has a butler in addition to the steward. My question is, what additional tipping is required for the butler? Is it a per day per person tip or did you base it on how often you used him? Just curious, we have been fortunate enough to have a few suites here & there in our cruise history but never one that included a butler!

We were 14 nights in an S1 on Eclipse (2/8 - 2/22) and had our 1st butler. It was one of the best experiences ever and going back to a standard veranda is going to be very tough. The butler spoiled us rotten and we really adored him. Room service coffee every morning - and he insisted that he pour, full breakfast many days - all these on white table clothes.

Need to deliver something to another cabin - the butler. Order flowers - he goes to get them. Afternoon canapés - we asked for a small cheese and cracker plater instead and that is always what we got - but along with shrimp cocktail, cookies, cakes - we finally had to tell him "no more food". Husband struggling with the bow tie - call Manuel.

Then I got sick on day 8 with a chest infection and this wonderful man brought me hot tea and honey - he was so concerned. He met us in the evenings of the formal nights to walk us to the reserved seating - and told us how much fun it was for HIM.

We tipped him exceptionally well - because he deserved it. A true professional. If you are lucky enough to have a butler - enjoy it!!!

IMG_4360.jpg.684236c90773030d1872485ff627c661.jpg

We were 14 nights in an S1 on Eclipse (2/8 - 2/22) and had our 1st butler. It was one of the best experiences ever and going back to a standard veranda is going to be very tough. The butler spoiled us rotten and we really adored him. Room service coffee every morning - and he insisted that he pour, full breakfast many days - all these on white table clothes.

Need to deliver something to another cabin - the butler. Order flowers - he goes to get them. Afternoon canapés - we asked for a small cheese and cracker plater instead and that is always what we got - but along with shrimp cocktail, cookies, cakes - we finally had to tell him "no more food". Husband struggling with the bow tie - call Manuel.

Then I got sick on day 8 with a chest infection and this wonderful man brought me hot tea and honey - he was so concerned. He met us in the evenings of the formal nights to walk us to the reserved seating - and told us how much fun it was for HIM.

We tipped him exceptionally well - because he deserved it. A true professional. If you are lucky enough to have a butler - enjoy it!!!

Wow, he sounds truly exceptional! Full breakfast & afternoon tea sounds wonderful.

If we are fortunate enough to have someone like him I have no doubt we will want to compensate him as generously as we can. Thank you for the info!

Our butler last week was named Budi, pronounced "Booty." We got a good laugh at the fact that whenever we needed something we said we were "making a Budi call."

He made a dinner reservation for us one night, and a spa reservation. Set up and served breakfast on the balcony a couple of mornings, brought extra wine glasses, a cheese plate and shrimp one evening so we could have friends over for wine before dinner, and took items to be pressed. Previous butlers have also helped us get a rose in a bud vase delivered for a friend celebrating a birthday, arranged coffee on debarkation morning even though there is officially no room service that day, and helped us with a practical joke on some friends. (Yes, we tipped extra for his particular assistance on that one, on top of the extra we were already tipping him.)

The butler's tip is included in the automatic tips unlike NCL where the butler is not included. We tipped beyond that for special service.

Ok, I see now that we paid $15.50 per person per day vs the $12 for a regular cabin. So that difference goes to the butler?