Carnival excursion - passport?

bksjes1998

We have booked the Playa del Carmen Beach & Shopping (7 hours) from Cozumel. Since this is a Carnival excursion and they are responsible for getting us back to the ship, would you take your passport with you off the ship? Have others had things happen while on an excursion which you had to use your passport. Just hate to keep up with such important documents while having fun. I know I will get mixed responses, just wanting advice.

Lots of people "having fun" in Cozumel are later seen doing the Run Of Shame down the dock as the ship sails away without them. If you think this could happen to you you'll find your passport very handy ;)

Lots of people "having fun" in Cozumel are later seen doing the Run Of Shame down the dock as the ship sails away without them. If you think this could happen to you you'll find your passport very handy ;)

You are right about that but I suspect most of those people never bothered to get passports in the first place.

I see you have wildfires running amuck. I hope they are brought under control quickly.

I'm sure we will go ahead and take them with us. Just hate leaving them on the beach in a bag while we are enjoying the beach. Maybe the beach time place has lockers of some sort. We have two hours at the beach. Has anyone done the Playa del Carmen excursion? I may need to create another thread asking specifically about the excursion.

I'm sure we will go ahead and take them with us. Just hate leaving them on the beach in a bag while we are enjoying the beach. Maybe the beach time place has lockers of some sort. We have two hours at the beach. Has anyone done the Playa del Carmen excursion? I may need to create another thread asking specifically about the excursion.

You could get one of these and then you could take your passport and not worry about leaving it unattended on the beach :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=waterproof+passport+holder&sprefix=waterproof+passpor%2Caps%2C138

We didn't on first cruise but will this time. You just never know what can happen. I bought a waterproof pack that will fit our 2 passports, some cash, and credit cards/I'ds It fits around my waist. I'm so OCD I would be nuts if I had to leave it unattended.

We have always left our passports in the cabin safe while we go ashore. I carry color copies with us ashore. If it's an emergency at least they'll have the information. I feel that it's a greater risk of having the passports stolen than needing them. m--

We have booked the Playa del Carmen Beach & Shopping (7 hours) from Cozumel. Since this is a Carnival excursion and they are responsible for getting us back to the ship, would you take your passport with you off the ship? Have others had things happen while on an excursion which you had to use your passport. Just hate to keep up with such important documents while having fun. I know I will get mixed responses, just wanting advice.

While this may be true there are also extenuating circumstances being the excursion is 7 hours.

What if .. there is a major traffic accident? The ship will sail but without your passport you will not be able to fly to the next port.

Look at the Hurricane in August 2011. The ship was forced to sail early leaving oncoming passengers without a ship. Those who had passports were able to fly to the next port, those without were sent back to US mainland.

If the excursion were a shorter time frame you might be OK.

As for worrying about the passport .. I guess you better worry about all your ID and money. One risk is as great as the next whether on US soil or foreign soil.

A color copy will do nothing but help you get a replaced for something you have already invested money in. So, if you like paying double for something then leave the passport on the ship.

I always take 2 color copies of the main page of my passport on board. I carry a copy with me when I get off the ship at a port (in a waterproof pouch)... Our passports stay locked in our safe the entire time of the cruise.

I always take 2 color copies of the main page of my passport on board. I carry a copy with me when I get off the ship at a port (in a waterproof pouch)... Our passports stay locked in our safe the entire time of the cruise.

Yup. I do exactly the same thing.

You could get one of these and then you could take your passport and not worry about leaving it unattended on the beach :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=waterproof+passport+holder&sprefix=waterproof+passpor%2Caps%2C138

In all my years of travel..the only place I have ever had anything stolen from me was on the beach in Cozumel...and we were at a day resort that we paid for a day pass..ate in their over the ocean on stilts restaurant..swam in their pool...etc...

It was only a child's bathing suit cover up dress, but it was my child's favorite and we left it for a moment on our blanket...while DH had our bags right next to him at ocean's edge as he didn't want to swim in the ocean....,the dress, left on our blanket with the other beach towels and flip flops, was up and gone in a flash....and when it was obvious that I knew it was missing because it wasn't to be found...and I called out to my family..."did anyone see the dress?".....the waitress at the restaurant just stood there frozen and very nervous...before she went into hiding in the back room....

like she knew she would be accused...I didn't accuse her of course...but when asked if she saw the dress...let's just say...I didn't need to be a police detective to figure out she took it.....nothing else was taken...just the dress.....

so now we can lament over the plight of the workers in resort towns...in addition to the plight of the cabin stewards.

Archived