Is it easy to leave the ship on embarkation day?

karpela

We are leaving from Barcelona and have never visited there. Our flight, which we have booked through Celebrity with transfers, arrives from the UK early morning, so realistically we could be on the ship before midday.

Our TA says the port is a close walk into town, so we could spend a couple of hours wandering around.

Will it be possible to do that?

Adele. :)

I personally don't think the City is that close to the port. At least I would not walk it. A year or so ago on our day in Barcelona there was a free port bus that took you through the port and stopped at the foot of town by the Columbus Monument. We just took a taxi to the center of town. Just remember that you MUST be on board by a certain time. So if you do go to town, watch the time. Too bad you can't come in a day early and enjoy the City.

I personally don't think the City is that close to the port. At least I would not walk it. A year or so ago on our day in Barcelona there was a free port bus that took you through the port and stopped at the foot of town by the Columbus Monument. We just took a taxi to the center of town. Just remember that you MUST be on board by a certain time. So if you do go to town, watch the time. Too bad you can't come in a day early and enjoy the City.

We don't mind jumping into a taxi if it seems too far to walk.

We did want to do a day either side but Celebrity are doing special offers at the moment on UK to Europe flights and it wasn't possible to change.

...Our TA says the port is a close walk into town, ...

Either your TA doesn't have a clue what they are talking about or they are marathon runners. It would be a nasty 2 mile walk to where you'd then want to start walking around town. The walk from the ship to that point is mostly along busy roads and over a high bridge. Do yourself a favor and take a taxi the rates into town are not that high. There is a bus that is only slightly less expensive for 2 and it will use up valuable time, so I'd stick with the taxi.

Your time will be fairly limited so have a plan and have the taxi take you to a specific spot. For example you might want to take a taxi to the old Cathedral and then walk through the Gothic Quarter to Ramblas or up to Plaqa Cantalunya. If your timing works well you'll have a couple hours but not tons of time. We've done it before, but just to head back to town for lunch at a specific place we'd visited during our pre-cruise stay.

Either your TA doesn't have a clue what they are talking about or they are marathon runners. It would be a nasty 2 mile walk to where you'd then want to start walking around town. The walk from the ship to that point is mostly along busy roads and over a high bridge. Do yourself a favor and take a taxi the rates into town are not that high. There is a bus that is only slightly less expensive for 2 and it will use up valuable time, so I'd stick with the taxi.

Your time will be fairly limited so have a plan and have the taxi take you to a specific spot. For example you might want to take a taxi to the old Cathedral and then walk through the Gothic Quarter to Ramblas or up to Plaqa Cantalunya. If your timing works well you'll have a couple hours but not tons of time. We've done it before, but just to head back to town for lunch at a specific place we'd visited during our pre-cruise stay.

Agreed!

The port is much too far to walk from there into town. I had to walk from town to the port one day (it's a long story!) and it took me over an hour, in blazing sun. I could see the ship, but it never seemed to get any closer.

If you want to check in at the ship and then visit town, get a taxi both ways - and watch that you don't miss the all-aboard time.

We are leaving from Barcelona and have never visited there. Our flight, which we have booked through Celebrity with transfers, arrives from the UK early morning, so realistically we could be on the ship before midday.

Our TA says the port is a close walk into town, so we could spend a couple of hours wandering around.

Will it be possible to do that?

Adele. :)

Hi guys,

Whilst you may be on board by Mid day your cabin won't

be ready till about 1.30. If the ship is sailing at 5pm you

Will need to be back on board 90 mins before. (3.30)

Which doesn't leave that much time.

Have you thought of just letting your bags go to the ship

And taking a cab straight from the airport and then making your

Own way to the ship later?

If you do this I would let X know.

Personally there is so much going on I would just go to the ship

settle in on board, and relax.

Hi guys,

Whilst you may be on board by Mid day your cabin won't

be ready till about 1.30. If the ship is sailing at 5pm you

Will need to be back on board 90 mins before. (3.30)

Which doesn't leave that much time.

Have you thought of just letting your bags go to the ship

And taking a cab straight from the airport and then making your

Own way to the ship later?

If you do this I would let X know.

Personally there is so much going on I would just go to the ship

settle in on board, and relax.

Good advice, the bags will be an issue. perhaps drop them in at the cruise port and then check in later.:D

Good advice, the bags will be an issue. perhaps drop them in at the cruise port and then check in later.:D

Last October we sailed from Rome,

Once we had cleared customs and picked up our bags we dropped them off

With the Celebrity Rep. We then were bused o the ship.

We never saw the cases again till they turned.

up in our cabin, the only thing you would need to worry about is your

Hand luggage.

A taxi from the airport to the centre will cost about €40.

Archived