Chilean Altiplano - 14,000 feet

Khepri

Have not done that trip...but we visited Quito on the way to the Galapagos....and both my wife and I felt the altitude at different times. Of course we flew in from Miami, so no acclamation, but my wife could hardly get up when the plane arrived...I was fine. On the return trip, my wife was fine and I felt I couldn't move.

Altitude effects different people different ways...and at different times....and altitude sickness is real.

The best approach is to adjust gradually...don't go from sea level to 9000+ feet and expect everything to be ok. Spend a day somewhere lower, on the way. There are some pills and home remedy things you can do to help....but everything has it's effect on something else, so be careful if you are on any medications. Some will say...don't worry. I'd be more cautious and say, you may feel altitude sickness...just be prepared for it and leave a day or so on your itinerary to adjust. Some hotels, by the way, have oxygen to help you adjust, if needed. We weren't that bad...just no energy.

Last year in Zermatt (Switzerland) I took the cable car up to the Klien Matterhorn peak (over 12,000 feet above sea level).

Didn't suffer any altitude sickness but warning signs were evident. I did get "puffed out" climbing the many steps of the observation tower but in ski boots it was made tougher anyway.

I am not familiar with that particular excursion, but I have had some experience on other trips with high altitude. Personally, I would have a very, very hard time going up that high. When I travel to the US Southwest it takes me a couple days to acclimate to 7,000 feet! The elevation you mentioned is quite high. Unfortunately, you cannot predict who will suffer from altitude sickness and who won't. Surprisingly, sometimes people in the best physical shape (athletes) have as much trouble or more than people in lesser condition. (I read that while researching the topic for a potential trip). If you have any type of heart or lung issue I would not risk it. If you have never been anywhere close to that high, I would think twice, especially if you have little time to acclimate at higher and higher levels. Altitude sickness is not only real, but it can be deadly if not treated.

:eek: Has anyone done this excursion? I would love to go but anxious about the effects of this high altitude

We went with Sertours last spring http://www.sertours.com/home_english.html and it was totally incredible:D:D:D We were told about him from someone that used him the year before. We had a small van with I think 12 from CC. We took altitude pills, as did most, and we had no problems. On young woman did the "holistic" approach and decided to go with cocoa leaves alone. I think she used all our oxygen:rolleyes::eek:. Some of us felt a little woozy but didn't stop us from getting around. Wonderful tour. I think it is the first one on the "Tours" page. He doesn't speak english and he uses Google translate, but he is very friendly and reply's quickly.

Last year in Zermatt (Switzerland) I took the cable car up to the Klien Matterhorn peak (over 12,000 feet above sea level).

Didn't suffer any altitude sickness but warning signs were evident. I did get "puffed out" climbing the many steps of the observation tower but in ski boots it was made tougher anyway.

We spent many weeks back in the 1980's skiing down the glacier from that peak and it was always "breath-taking" in more ways than one. We just started down as fast as we could and not stay up that high for more than a few minutes. A great place to ski.

My DH did one of these cruise ship tours 2 years ago. The shore excursions staff advised anyone with heart or breathing problems not to go. As I had a cough, I chose a less strenuous excursion.

DH had no problems, but one of the other passengers fainted as she stood up on the bus. They had oxygen for her and she soon recovered.

DH said that they had to have 2 drivers for the bus - in case one was incapacitated by the altitude.

It was a long excursion and DH was wiled out by the time he returned, but he said he was glad he had gone.

Archived