Paris Fashion

shoppern

:confused:I am a 66-year-old size 1X who is going to Paris in April. My present wardrobe is fine for the Midwest, no purple polyester, but I afraid of loooking like a "hick." I do NOT dress in dark colors all the time, bit can modify my look (I hope) for this trip. Any suggestions will be welcome. I do have a classic neutral trench coat that will do, I think.

Thanks in advance. :)

Classic and basic clothes always work and they travel easy.

A good basic black pant with neat, nice tops can take you from sightseeing to dinner. Seeing you likely don't want to lug a ton of luggage, stick with mostly solids and mix and match. You may not wear these sort of clothes on a regular basis but once you own a few, you likely will be able to fit them into your 'at home' life.

Look at Chico's traverlers line of clothes. A few pants, tops, jackets, and if you wish a skirt and you can manage for two weeks. Most important for me when I travel is a pair of quality black slacks.

Hope this helps you at least a little. :)

:confused:I am a 66-year-old size 1X who is going to Paris in April. My present wardrobe is fine for the Midwest, no purple polyester, but I afraid of loooking like a "hick." I do NOT dress in dark colors all the time, bit can modify my look (I hope) for this trip. Any suggestions will be welcome. I do have a classic neutral trench coat that will do, I think.

Thanks in advance. :)

Paris is full of tourists, no one will even give you a second glance, and any native will immediately know you are an American. That said, the trench coat sounds good. You can't go wrong wearing black in Paris. If you don't like too much black, then go to any neutral; beige, cream or brown. No bright colors or prints, except in accent pieces, such as scarfs.

Get a couple pairs of black pants or a black skirt. Leggings under a skirt, if you like that look, are fine and will keep you warm if it's cold. If you wear jeans, a nice pair of those is fine. Pair it with solid, neutral or white tops/shirts. Bring a couple nice scarfs to change your look, and a couple different necklaces. Maybe a couple nice cardigans to layer under your coat. Don't wear baseball caps, white athletic shoes, fanny packs or carry a back pack. Ballet flats very popular, boots or really any comfortable walking shoe.

Have fun and don't stress about your wardrobe.

the above advice is good. I usually wear a lot of trouser or skinny jeans in europe. Solid t-shirt or blouse with a scarf (or necklace if hotter). Dark cardigan and neutral jacket are perfect.

My mom has problems with her legs and she felt most comfortable in her white athletic shoes. After hours of walking she was much happier in those than in her black loafers.

Black. The French wear lots and lots of black...

602918_4166112759826_1253708131_n.jpg

In most cases (especially if you're carrying a camera), it doesn't really matter what you wear - everyone will know you're a tourist. Like others have said, there will be so many tourists in Paris, that you won't really stand out. However, if you want to feel more European, skinny pants with boots or booties and a trench or black non-sporty jacket with a scarf will help you blend in with the locals.

I'm 65 & went on a land tour to Paris & northern France last May 12-20th with my 40's daughter. Paris was COLD & rainy. We wore black jeans with neutral colored tee shirts, & grey or black sweaters, pretty scarves, and long lined black raincoats with hoods. We were glad to have brought long underwear! Our skirts stayed packed. We did manage with a carry-on each for 10 days.

Both of our purses broke twice (zippers, straps), so this year we're carrying Pacsafe bags. My money belt broke twice (clasp & zipper), so I got a new one for this year. My big suggestion is to bring safety pins!

My other suggestion is if your back starts bothering you after a few hours of sightseeing at the Louvre, have a bottle of wine with your lunch in the cafeteria. It works wonders!

Bon voyage!

We went two years ago at the end of June and it was cold, about 55-70 in the daytime and 40-60 at night.

So dress warm, wear dark solid colors, accessorize with scarves, and bring your most comfortable walking shoes. After all, you will want to see a lot and this is best done on foot. After all, it's PARIS, the most enchanting city :)

• 2 weeks later...

Shoppern, if anyone was afraid of looking like a "hick" in Paris, it was me. Our Hawaiian lifestyle is very casual and I was worried that I'd stick out like a sore thumb. I agree with choosing black as your primary color. I was there during the month of November and black seemed to be the prevailing color. The addition of solid color blouses and pretty scarves made me feel a little less touristy. I realize that I was fooling no one, but it did make me feel a little less obvious. Have fun planning your wardrobe. Paris is an enchanting city!

Aloha!

Archived