heritage wharf in bermuda

crabbyjack

According to Marine and Ports, Grandeur of the Seas will be in port the same days the Dawn will be so they will be using King's Wharf. Hopefully Bermuda will be letting the Heritage Wharf be used but we shall see!

Sun

05/07

1500Arrive

1800Depart

Grandeur of the Seas

We are on the May 3 cruise from Boston to Bermuda on NCL, and we have been given no information at all about tendering or docking. I contacted my travel agent who is also in the dark. So even the travel agents don't know anything at this point.

The Dawn sailing between the two of you. I think I'll make a big sign and hang it from our balcony stating WE ARE THE BREAKAWAY!!! Maybe the will let us dock at the Heritage Wharf!

We are on the May 3 cruise from Boston to Bermuda on NCL, and we have been given no information at all about tendering or docking. I contacted my travel agent who is also in the dark. So even the travel agents don't know anything at this point.

I'm on the May 17th out of Boston and my NCL PCC doesn't know anything either. She checked with her supervisor, nothing!! Don't like tendering, hope it is ready. If you check the Bermuda webcam you can hear all the noise, so they are still working on it.:(

Hey all - just a thought: this is a construction project with a projected completion date that is dependent on a number of factors, not the least of which is the uncertain weather in Bermuda.

No one - the Bermuda Gov't, Celebrity, NCL (much less travel agents) - not even the most informed CC poster, or maybe even the guys working on the dock knows exactly when it will be done.

As frustrating as it is, for your own sanity, please be patient and see what happens when?

The live cam panorama shots of the dock construction looks scary to me, seeing so much left to be done on extending it out. They have a lot left to do, and at best it looks like if the Breakaway was able to dock there, maybe only one gangway could be used. Fire safety might not even allow that!!

Recent news articles:

Transportation (May 3rd):

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130501/NEWS04/130509999

Progress Report (as of Sunday, April 28):

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Minister-details-ups-and-downs-of-wharf-project/24/270/65913

The live cam panorama shots of the dock construction looks scary to me, seeing so much left to be done on extending it out. They have a lot left to do, and at best it looks like if the Breakaway was able to dock there, maybe only one gangway could be used. Fire safety might not even allow that!!

I do not think they are extending the wharf much if at all, they are stengthening it to withstand the forces created by a much larger ship. You are looking at the mooring dolphins.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back yesterday. It was a great cruise btw! Loved every minute!

The Heritage Wharf still has a lot of work to do and also clean up. They did not work at all last Sunday when we arrived. Nor did they work after dark while we were anchored. (I recall seeing night lights on the construction when the camera was started a couple weeks ago)

They set up lighting now as we see on the port cam. So maybe from now till Tuesday when Breakaway arrives they plan to work around the clock.

The workers didn't appear to be in any hurry.

It just seems the logistics of getting 4000 passengers through the construction area if work is still going on may not be allowed. It's a hard hat zone and also there's a guard shack for entering vehicles.

Miracles can happen.

Tendering will be a nightmare for sure. Even for the Dawn you had go to the Spinnaker for tender tickets. Then they'd call all numbers under 200. Then all under 300 etc. We heard all ticket numbers under 600 also...

The Dawn had difficulties initially docking with the ferry. Not sure if it was every time. Maybe Breakaway has better doors.

Mostly they used the life boats. We were in an aft facing balcony and they putted by pretty constant.

I heard pros and cons from passengers. "Life boats crowded knee to knee. Ferry takes too long to load and unload..." Were some of the complaints.

Others said it was no problem at all. They are used to tendering and had never been to Bermuda...others just went with the flow and did their excursions and sightseeing.

When we first arrived, we docked at Kings Wharf for 3 hours and many passengers walked off during that time. Then either walked back on before 2 or tendered back later.

We didn't get off at all and were perfectly content, relaxed, entertained and happy.

We're booked again for next year.

We just got back yesterday. It was a great cruise btw! Loved every minute!

The Heritage Wharf still has a lot of work to do and also clean up. They did not work at all last Sunday when we arrived. Nor did they work after dark while we were anchored. (I recall seeing night lights on the construction when the camera was started a couple weeks ago)

They set up lighting now as we see on the port cam. So maybe from now till Tuesday when Breakaway arrives they plan to work around the clock.

The workers didn't appear to be in any hurry.

It just seems the logistics of getting 4000 passengers through the construction area if work is still going on may not be allowed. It's a hard hat zone and also there's a guard shack for entering vehicles.

Miracles can happen.

Tendering will be a nightmare for sure. Even for the Dawn you had go to the Spinnaker for tender tickets. Then they'd call all numbers under 200. Then all under 300 etc. We heard all ticket numbers under 600 also...

The Dawn had difficulties initially docking with the ferry. Not sure if it was every time. Maybe Breakaway has better doors.

Mostly they used the life boats. We were in an aft facing balcony and they putted by pretty constant.

I heard pros and cons from passengers. "Life boats crowded knee to knee. Ferry takes too long to load and unload..." Were some of the complaints.

Others said it was no problem at all. They are used to tendering and had never been to Bermuda...others just went with the flow and did their excursions and sightseeing.

When we first arrived, we docked at Kings Wharf for 3 hours and many passengers walked off during that time. Then either walked back on before 2 or tendered back later.

We didn't get off at all and were perfectly content, relaxed, entertained and happy.

We're booked again for next year.

Thanks for your update. Appears they were working at Heritage tonight, and one of the cranes has been shifted to the inner slip. The drift I get is they are waiting for concrete of the mooring dolphins to completely dry, and then they are going to pretty things up. Who knows? Keeping our fingers crossed for the first Breakaway cruisers...not to mention we later ones.

Oh, and by the way, I've been told after the Breakaway docks on Wednesday, even though the Wharf won't be finished and some work still needs to be done, the Dawn will be allowed to dock too.

This trip will be the last one she'll have to tender.

Oh, and by the way, I've been told after the Breakaway docks on Wednesday, even though the Wharf won't be finished and some work still needs to be done, the Dawn will be allowed to dock too.

That's great news!

Reliable source?

Where did you get that info regarding the Dawn docking? NCL PCC that I spoke with doesn't seem to know anything regarding tendering.

Archived