Menus have glaring errors

I agree with the menus being incorrect. I have celiac disease and specifically ordered the items with the gluten-free designation, only to be told by the head waiter that those items in fact could NOT be made gluten free. However, he always offered alternatives, which was nice...but it did make me wonder why they even bothered with the designation! :confused:

:eek: Seriously!? I wouldn't have known what to say. LOL! :D

Hehe, that's another good one. I can't believe that some people genuinely think that seafood isn't meat. Although, if the caesar salad has chicken on it, it's probably safe to say it's not vegetarian. ;) LOL!:)

And here's why:

Many people I know call themselves vegetarians but still eat seafood. They've explained to me that they don't like to eat higher-order animals but fish, mollusks, and arthropods such as crab and lobster are ok. Seafood is also less environmentally impactful.

So it's not crazy for people to think that many vegetarians would eat seafood. I'm sitting with 3 right now.

And here's why:

Many people I know call themselves vegetarians but still eat seafood. They've explained to me that they don't like to eat higher-order animals but fish, mollusks, and arthropods such as crab and lobster are ok. Seafood is also less environmentally impactful.

So it's not crazy for people to think that many vegetarians would eat seafood. I'm sitting with 3 right now.

If they eat seafood they are pescatarians and not vegetarians.

Also you can ask for what you would like. Even if it is not on the menu, if they have it they will cook it for you! Just ask.
Special Requests work best if you ask ahead. One of the primary jobs of the Head Waiters is to forward Special Requests in advance to the kitchen via AVOs [Avoid Verbal Orders]. You can ask to see the next day's menus and via AVOs get your meal plated the way you want it [steamed veggies with no butter, margarine or other fat - no problem, Gluten free whatever - no problem, etc]. Sure they can try to get what you want at the last minute, but give the day ahead system a chance - it works great!:)

Thom

My husband is a vegetarian (I'm an omnivore). He drives me crazy at restaurants because he will ask if something has meat in it.....and that's it. He (and other vegetarians) needs to remember to say "I'm a strict vegetarian" or vegan or something, because sometimes things that are not listed on the menu garnish or are added to things. The number of times he's had to send things back because they added bacon or worchestershire or whatever is silly, because 9 times out of 10, the waiter just didn't realize the reason he was asking if meat was in something was because he was a veggie.

I sympathize with your frustration!!! My mother-in-law is very very allergic to gluten, dairy, soy and alcohol, and very sensitive to citrus and mint, among other things.

I totally understand that it's a pain in the a** to explain this to a waiter every single time you eat out, but they're NOT mind readers! She will ask about a specific dish, but not explain all her allergies and sensitivities, and then be upset when her specifically requested dairy-free chicken dish comes out with a breaded coating!

I thought it was pretty standard in restaurants that dishes with a (v) for vegetarian next to them meant that there was a vegetarian option available. Otherwise, I would think those dishes not having meat in them would be a pretty big giveaway that they are in fact vegetarian (therefore negating the need for them to be labelled as such). Same for meals listed with a (gf) next to them. It just means that a gluten free option is available...

This is not necessarily true. Many vegetable dishes can be seasoned with meat broth, for example, and become non-vegetarian, even if "meat" is not part of the description.

Otherwise, I think you are right that these symbols are meant to indicated that they can be ordered vegetarian or gluten-free.

They have a linguini pomodoro on the menu every night, as well as a vegetarian option of the day (eggplant parmesan, etc). You could also order from the children's menu which has a grilled cheese sandwich, and possibly a cheese pizza. And great french fries, although I can't say I asked what they were fried in.

I was looking over the menus that people have posted. I noticed several glaring mistakes regarding menu items being listed as vegetarian or gluten free.

Snow crab salad is listed as vegetarian.

I saw several items listed as gluten free that from the description contain wheat. Items like pita bread and bread stuffing.

Then there are other items like fruit soups and salads that sound as if they should be vegetarian, but have no vegetarian symbol.

I guess my family of 4 vegetarians will be asking a million questions.

Plus, only one vegetarian entree choice. Really?

I hope you realize that your server has other tables and that you should keep your questions at a minimum and not monopolize all his/her time.

I hope you realize that your server has other tables and that you should keep your questions at a minimum and not monopolize all his/her time.

I'm sure if the waiter knows the menu it shouldn't take that long to answer any questions. Plus, I was under the impression that the head waiter could also help with any dietary questions/requirements.

I'm sure if the waiter knows the menu it shouldn't take that long to answer any questions. Plus, I was under the impression that the head waiter could also help with any dietary questions/requirements.

Well, more than 2 questions is alot and time consurming. Just saying.

Well, more than 2 questions is alot and time consurming. Just saying.

Oh please. A whole table of vegetarians won't need to ALL ask the questions. If everyone's paying attention then the questions only need to be asked once. I think it would take longer for the waiter to ask each person say, how do you want your steak cooked, and with the answer of Very well done, burn it if you have to, I don't want any pink at all.

You've never asked your server more than two questions about a dish prior to ordering?

I'll be sure to remind the meat eaters that I share a table with not to ask more than two questions per meal either.

We mustn't have the guests being a bother to the staff after all.

Seriously, like the time it takes for you to ask your waiter a few questions is gonna take longer than the guy who orders 4 apps and 3 entrees for himself? I say ask away! My bff and cousin are strict vegetarians. I eat out with them all the time and their questions take mere seconds!

Seriously, like the time it takes for you to ask your waiter a few questions is gonna take longer than the guy who orders 4 apps and 3 entrees for himself? I say ask away! My bff and cousin are strict vegetarians. I eat out with them all the time and their questions take mere seconds!

I know. It doesn't take long to ask and it isn't like we have to ask about everything. :)

I ate out at the weekend and only had to ask one question.

Archived