Vision of the Seas

My DH and I just made reservations on this ship to Alaska Sept 2006. We have sailed Celebrity and Carnival but never RCCI. Can you tell me a little about Vision. I had read that she was going into drydock in 2006 to be stretched. Anyone know when? We booked the grand suite (never had a suite before) on deck 8 forward. Windjammer is above somewhere. Any problems with that? Also we have the Captains Club Card - does this work for RCCI as well? Thanks for any info.

Karen

We sailed on the Vision in March, got upgraded a few days before the cruise to the Royal Suite (8500). No problem with noise from the Windjammer but we could feel more ship movement because we were high and forward. But hey, we were in a 1500 sq. ft. cabin so no complaints!!

You will love the Vision, it is in excellent condition. The crew members we encountered gave us great service - maybe the best of any of our RCCL cruises.

We're thinking of booking for Alaska next year as well. Have the cabins been refurbished recently does anyone know. We're looking a the Jr. Suite category. Thanks for any info.

we love the vision, have had a jr suite (favorite) and a cat. D (balcony) When we were on her last, the cabins were looking a bit tired. If they have not refurbished, then they are near ready. The jr. suite is very roomy. DH still says that it was his favorite cabin so far. As for the public areas, always beautiful. The Vision is one of our favorites. Very fond memories..

We're thinking of booking for Alaska next year as well. Have the cabins been refurbished recently does anyone know. We're looking a the Jr. Suite category. Thanks for any info.

We just had a Jr. Suite on Vision in May. Our bedspread was ugly but the rest of the cabin didnt look bad. I didnt notice any glaring wear (although the hallway carpet needed a good shampooing) and everything was clean. The Jr. Suite seemed to have a better allocation of space . IMO there is a small living room feel to the jr suite part of the sitting area and not just a couch right next to the bed as in our balcony room. Also there was a little more walking room between the furnuture so you werent squeazing past things. In our balcony room the bed was by the sliding door which we liked for the breeze and our jr suite room had the bed next to the bathroom which actually worked out well for us. Having the sitting area by the balcony opened up the "living room feel".

I was on the Vision last June in an outside cabin., which was standard RCI issue.

The ship is lovely and well maintained. The staff was warm and professional.

The food was the only disappointment; it was amongst the worst of any of my RCI cruises.

We've been on the Vision twice, its a very nice ship that is well maintained. We've had a JS both times and I agree about the feeling of a small living space next to the balcony, plenty of storage and the bathrrom is bigger in a JS as it has a bathtub w /shower.

The Vision will be great for Alaska, as it has plenty of glass for viewing and areas to sit for whale watching or read....one of the best places is the Crown and Anchor Lounge.

Your Captains Club (Celebrity??) will work on RC and because you booked a Grand Suite you'll receive 2 credits!!! :)

I didn't know the Vision was due for stretching!!

I''d be happy to answer any other ?? you may have. :)

• 3 months later...

We used VOS to Alaska in June and I fell in love with the ship. The crew and staff were wonderful. I saw a dry dock schedule posted at another thread the Vision is NOT being stretched. We attended Capt Paraskevopoulos's Q & A period (as no bridge tours are allowed) and he said they were in dry dock from 1-2-06 to 1-12-06, that's not long enough for a "stretching"! Watch out for the constant sales pitch on buying gems in Alaska, the cruise lines own all the jewelry stores in the ports and they bring up from the Caribbean their stores. Alaska is about whales, gold, and wildlife. We didn't do any gold panning, but we saw whales everyday, the Captain made sure of this. The whales are there from about May to Oct? Then they head back to the Baja peninsula from mid-Dec to March. we were on deck 3 aft with an oceanview stateroom, huge window (not porthole), our room was under the Aqaurius and had no sound problem. The only time I'd get jumpy was when they slid out the stabilizers, you hear that BANG! Water on inside passage generally smooth, the trees will be done (or nearly done) changing colors by Sept. You gotta take the Yukon Pass train out of Skagway and eat at The Fish Co in Skagway (that's where I fell in love with Summer Ale from Alaska Brewing Co). Icy St Point is secluded but the whales were all over the place there (ship tenders here). Saw tons of Eagles at one time while doing the Ketchikan Duck tour in Ketchikan. We want to go back to Alaska for a fall tour. But I have to take Vision to the Mexican Riveria first!

MorrisCats--- I posted the drydock schedule and yes the Vision is going into drydock on 1/2-1/12/06 but that will not be anywhere near long enough for her to be stretched. She will just get the usual freshing up.

The Vision is a great ship with a fantastic crew and if you're lucky enough to have Capt. George you'll be in great hands.

I'm not sure if you're interested or not, but there are 40 of us CC'ers on the West Coast doing a shipboard lunch and tour on the Vision in LA on Oct. 2nd. If you're interested, post your email address here and I'll send you the info.

Thanks

Bob,

Wish we could do that luncheon on the Vision but we are driving to San Diego on the 7th for our cruise to Hawaii - oh darn!!!! I have read a lot of good things about Vision and I do hope Capt. George is still there next year.

Karen

Did you catch his "act" in the lobby lounge? He was the best part of the cruise!

Dewayneg, I just luv how his name rolls off my tongue. LMAO.

Caviargal, when does he do his thing, and what does he do? We missed it last time.

He sang most evenings in the lobby off the Champagne Bar. A trio with a female singer was performing and Capt. George apparently was a frequent "guest" singer. It is not that he has amazing talent, more that he takes so much pleasure in performing! He is a very personable gentleman and a delightful Captain! We had the pleasure of having dinner with him twice and he sat with us for drinks a couple of evenings. He is a sweetheart!

We just booked a an Alaskan cruise for next August on the Serenade. We were looking at both the Vision and the Serenade, the Vision has good prices for next year. We finally decided on the Serenade because we wanted to see Keitchen and Hubbard Glacier, but I'm hoping that my DH and I will be so wowed by Alaska that we will book another cruise to Alaska, hopefully on the Vision. She looks like such a pretty ship.

Our first cruise was last year on RCCL's Majesty of the Seas. She is older that the Vision, but was in great shape, so I'm sure that RCCL keeps the Vision in wonderful shape too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned Sunday from a wonderful 9 day Vancouver-LA cruise on the Vision. We had a chance to speak with Captain George during one of the Crown and Anchor parties and asked him if he was familiar with cruise critic, which he said he was. We told him about the positive comments about the ship, crew and him personally. He was very pleased to hear this.

As we were approaching the Golden Gate Bridge he came on the loudspeaker and said he was going to play a song that reminded him of his teenage years in SF. It was "If you are going to San Francisco" (wear some flowers in your hair). Everyone got a kick out of it.

We hit some very bad weather going up to Alaska (30 ft seas and 40 kt winds)but Captain George did a great job keeping everyone informed of the situation and trying to lessen the movement by reducing speed and changing course.

This was our 3rd cruise on the Vision and would not hesitate to book another cruise on her again.

We have booked the Vision next August also. This will be a Crown and Anchor Members Cruise. Lots of gifts and extras. The Vision is sailing out of Seattle next year. Can hardly wait...

I did the C&A on the Vision last summer. You are right, it is a great experience!

Enjoy!

Archived