Room Stewart Tipping

B Russo

I always give the room Stewart something extra at first and tell him there will be more latter. ( I still do the automatic tipping ) I like to have a little extra service. We are in a Deluxe Suite and think I paid for it. :D I wounder what others do. Also give the water staff at any other place more latter. Bill

We always tip our cabin stewards and dining stewards 'over and above' but we do it at the end of the cruise. I know not everyone feels the same way about it but I personally think it a bit like 'bribery' to tip in advance. To me, it feels like I am saying to the hard working stewards that I think they won't do a good job unless I give them something extra. We always have envelopes for our stewards the last night and are very happy to say thank you in the universally accepted manner.

(We also stay in Deluxe Veranda Suite so we're talking about the same situation :))

We have always tipped our room stewards and waiters over and above at the end of the cruise. However you might want to consider something we did on our last cruise (if it applies). The cruise was two weeks and half way through we asked the Front Desk for a comment card. We wrote how pleased we were with our room stewards and waiters in the MDR. Acknowledged each employee by name and thanked them for their wonderful service and attention to details. We put the comment card back in the box around 10pm at night and by the next day I guess each manager had already passed along our thoughts to the employees mentioned. One of the room stewards stopped me in the hall and thanked me profusely for the comments and said how grateful he was. Apparently the comment cards go into each employees file and are most valuable when it comes time to renew contracts. We told him we were just telling the truth and felt his work ethic should be recognized :)

Anyways, the employees we mentioned certainly deserved the recognition and continued to go out of their way for us during the rest of the cruise.

We always tip our cabin stewards and dining stewards 'over and above' but we do it at the end of the cruise. I know not everyone feels the same way about it but I personally think it a bit like 'bribery' to tip in advance. To me, it feels like I am saying to the hard working stewards that I think they won't do a good job unless I give them something extra. We always have envelopes for our stewards the last night and are very happy to say thank you in the universally accepted manner.

(We also stay in Deluxe Veranda Suite so we're talking about the same situation :))

I agree, it looks like bribery. I tip extra at the end.

I don't get it. If you've already decided you are going to give your room steward an extra tip, why does it matter when you do it? I could see if you said you wait until the end to see if you thought the level of service deserved it, but I haven't seen that on this thread. It seems like a foregone conclusion you will give extra.

When I tipped once at beginning and end, and asked for extra ice for afternoon cocktails, I had no problem. The room steward brought one of those wine chilling buckets full of ice, and refilled it morning and evening. I never wanted for ice. I was practically in steerage.

Last cruise, partially because so many here frown upon "bribery", I was going to tip extra only at the end. I asked for extra ice right up front. Was told "Oh, just call for it". So each afternoon, when my stewards are off duty, I am calling for ice. And waiting. Someone else brings it. He finally says "You should ask your room stewards for additional ice." Well, I did. Three times, on three different days, and even told him a wine chiller with ice would work. But for some reason they just wouldn't bring it. Except the one day more than halfway through the cruise when most of the alcohol was gone anyway and he wakes us up early in the morning to ask if we want ice. I said "yes, when you do the room, please leave extra ice." He still did not leave extra ice. Those room stewards did not get an extra tip in the end.

Limited experience, but maybe tipping in advance is the way to go.

I don't get it. If you've already decided you are going to give your room steward an extra tip, why does it matter when you do it? I could see if you said you wait until the end to see if you thought the level of service deserved it, but I haven't seen that on this thread. It seems like a foregone conclusion you will give extra.

When I tipped once at beginning and end, and asked for extra ice for afternoon cocktails, I had no problem. The room steward brought one of those wine chilling buckets full of ice, and refilled it morning and evening. I never wanted for ice.

Last cruise, partially because so many here frown upon "bribery", I was going to tip extra only at the end. I asked for extra ice right up front. Was told "Oh, just call for it". So each afternoon, when my stewards are off duty, I am calling for ice. And waiting. Someone else brings it. He finally says "You should ask your room stewards for additional ice." Well, I did. Three times, on three different days, and even told him a wine chiller with ice would work. But for some reason they just wouldn't bring it. Except the one day more than halfway through the cruise when most of the alcohol was gone anyway and he wakes us up early in the morning to ask if we want ice. I said "yes, when you do the room, please leave extra ice." He still did not leave extra ice. Those room stewards did not get an extra tip in the end.

IMO, THAT was the steward.

We could opt to tip less or not anything extra at the end of the cruise had we not received the service we expect.

However, we would not wait until then.

If we made a consistent, reasonable request that was not met, we would speak with steward and mention if he didn't think he could accomodate a 'reasonable' request, we would be obliged to speak with his supervisor to see what he/she suggests. You should have been brought the ice IMO and should not have had to consistently request it.

This was a steward who probably would benefit from a little more training, IMO>

Our goal is to have the best cruise possible. It is not our goal to go home and grumble about short comings nor is it our goal to 'suffer in silence'. If we think there is room for improvement, we would discuss it with the appropriate manager/supervisor and request the situation be addressed. If that didn't work, we would go to the next level. We would not 'settle' for whatever. We are happy to tip because we just about always have great service on HAL ships.

IMO, THAT was the steward.

We could opt to tip less or not anything extra at the end of the cruise had we not received the service we expect.

However, we would not wait until then.

If we made a consistent, reasonable request that was not met, we would speak with steward and mention if he didn't think he could accomodate a 'reasonable' request, we would be obliged to speak with his supervisor to see what he/she suggests. You should have been brought the ice IMO and should not have had to consistently request it.

This was a steward who probably would benefit from a little more training, IMO>

Our goal is to have the best cruise possible. It is not our goal to go home and grumble about short comings nor is it our goal to 'suffer in silence'. If we think there is room for improvement, we would discuss it with the appropriate manager/supervisor and request the situation be addressed. If that didn't work, we would go to the next level. We would not 'settle' for whatever. We are happy to tip because we just about always have great service on HAL ships.

I do not have a "goal" of going home and "grumbling about shortcomings". Nor do I have a "goal" of "suffering in silence". I am stating my experience related to the question at hand.

I left my feedback about the ice on my survey. As well as the "adult only" pool and hot tub area that had a woman with a toddler in it for over an hour even after I mentioned it to a crew member. As well as the amazingly wonderful woman serving at the Lido during dinner who made my dining experiences there so great.

I'm sorry,

I did not express myself well.

I did not mean to imply you had a goal of grumbling or suffering in silence.

My comments were about DH and me and my apologies if I made it sound like I was speaking of anyone but ourselves. :o

I don't mind if Yall call it BRIBERY , I don't think they look at it that way ether . It works good for me and I will keep doing it that way LOL :D Bill

I think they think of us as someone they can count on for more $$$. I like to think I shamed our neighbors into tipping extra at the end of that cruise when they saw me do it in the hallway and seemed like they were all of a sudden acting like "oh, I guess we should do that".

I don't mind if Yall call it BRIBERY , I don't think they look at it that way ether . It works good for me and I will keep doing it that way LOL :D Bill

I have a personal policy of NEVER tipping a stateroom attendant named Stewart.

These Stewart characters have been an endles source of trouble for me.

I think that all of are right and do what is comfortable to reward good service either before or after the fact.

some would argue that a Tip(s) means: To insure prompt service

others can look it up and it says:

The Oxford English Dictionary defines "tip" in this usage as the bestowing of "a small present of money upon an inferior, especially upon a servant or employee of another, nominally in return for services rendered or in order to obtain an extra service."

I do both-to reward good or great service as a thank you and before if something is important to me I like to establish that up front so that the person knows I am looking for some extra service from them.

For example if my drink gets low on a hot aft pool day please make that extra visit and ask me if I want another. I don't see it as a bribe because a) I am not asking for something they wouldn't or can't do for everyone- get me a drink. B) I am not looking for goodwill or extra service in the future by tipping at the end but am asking for it in the hear and now. Please let me say clearly that I am not saying in any way that some of you are bribing for future perks by tipping at the end but by doing it that way goodwill is earned should you meet that person again. It's human nature that someone who you have tipped well in the past will now have a better reason to give you better service based on your past behaviour. I just prefer to ring that pavlovian tipping bell at the beginning not necessarily always at the end. I find by tipping in advance you ensure a better level of service at that moment rather than hoping for it at the end.

I have always worked in customer service and in no way do I see it as a bribe unless they are tipping me in advance to do something unethical or immoral upon which I would politely decline.

When I tipped once at beginning and end, and asked for extra ice for afternoon cocktails, I had no problem. The room steward brought one of those wine chilling buckets full of ice, and refilled it morning and evening. I never wanted for ice. I was practically in steerage.

WOW:eek: We never tip in advance - we do tip at the end and we do comment cards:D I've never had to ask for my ice more than once ever. That's why we tip;) the Prinsendam had the best service - they asked when we wanted ice - and literally it was there every day within 5 minutes of the time we had said. Absolutely incredible:) and yes, they were tipped well:D (we choose to).

I really think this had to be your steward and honestly if it was this bad, I would have probably would have taken steps so that they got some additional training. Maybe their contract wasn't being renewed?

Too bad as so many of the steward are very, very good IMO:D

I think they think of us as someone they can count on for more $$$. I like to think I shamed our neighbors into tipping extra at the end of that cruise when they saw me do it in the hallway and seemed like they were all of a sudden acting like "oh, I guess we should do that".

I don't do it in the hallway, I do it in the room. LOL :D Bill

Ok let me throw this one out there:

You decide that if you receive a level of service during your cruise from say the room steward you will tip 'BLAH' let's make it $50 for simple math's sake.

What if upon meeting said steward you said:

I''m looking for clean sheets every night and a bucket full of ice every day always refilled and you tipped him $25 upfront. I'd say you are being clear as to what is important to you. You are establishing a clear line of communication up front. This is what I want. You are not leaving the person guessing whether or not they 'figured'you out in a set amount of time to please you.

If they get it right they get the remaining $25. If not the no more than the original amount.

It's not a bribe just tip to insure prompt service. Customer service is hard enough as it is without having to learn at the end what a customer's expectations are via the tip posthumously. It's not necessarily asking for more but making it clear up front what is important to you. If you want clean sheets then tip me up front and tell me! If the steward can't make that happen and loses tips it's his own damn fault.

and a last thought: I'm sure tipping at the end worked better when poeple had more loyalty to servers and products but it's just not like that anymore.

How can I build a relationship up front with people I only see for a 7 day cruise vs a longer Prinsendam cruise. Apples and oranges.

Too bad as so many of the steward are very, very good IMO:D

That's been my experience, too. I admit I haven't been on as many cruises as some on here, but my cabin stewards have always been great! So I was planning on tipping extra for the one extra service I requested, but it wasn't provided.

But that poor steward on the Rotterdam! Not only did he bring ice, but had to deal with the overflow when we were trying to steam wrinkles out of our clothes in the shower. Poor guy was in a panic thinking it was due to a toilet overflow! No, it was just the shower. The heart palpitations I seemed to cause him when he thought it was a toilet overflow alone deserved the extra I gave him.

I don't do it in the hallway, I do it in the room. LOL :D Bill

Well, on the last morning that is where I saw him on my way off the ship and thought it was then or never. I didn't make a huge spectacle of it but said something like "here is something for you for taking such great care of us" and they overheard and were searching pockets for wallets.

You decide that if you receive a level of service during your cruise from say the room steward you will tip 'BLAH' let's make it $50 for simple math's sake.

I''m looking for clean sheets every night and a bucket full of ice every day always refilled and you tipped him $25 upfront. I'd say you are being clear as to what is important to you. You are establishing a clear line of communication up front. This is what I want. You are not leaving the person guessing whether or not they 'figured'you out in a set amount of time to please you.

If they get it right they get the remaining $25. If not the no more than the original amount.

It's not a bribe just tip to insure prompt service. Customer service is hard enough as it is without having to learn at the end what a customer's expectations are via the tip posthumously. It's not necessarily asking for more but making it clear up front what is important to you. If you want clean sheets then tip me up front and tell me! If the steward can't make that happen and loses tips it's his own damn fault.

and a last thought: I'm sure tipping at the end worked better when poeple had more loyalty to servers and products but it's just not like that anymore.

How can I build a relationship up front with people I only see for a 7 day cruise vs a longer Prinsendam cruise. Apples and oranges.

sorry - I did a 7 day Westerdam as well in November and still tipped at the end of the cruise. Communication is pretty easy to me - I talk to my steward - tell him/her what's important to us. Pretty simple to me:confused:

Each to their own - but I put myself through University in the service industry. I value good service - but I am not about to tip for service I haven't (or don't know I will) receive.

I have no issue if it works for you - but if I have to give $$ upfront - I have a problem - it's probably just me - but a tip is for service performed - not to get service:D no worries - if we all get good service life is still good.:) and many who don't tip extra at all get very good service as well:D

That is the way I look at it also. :) Bill

I think the difference is you have people who think they should just be able to make their requests and, if they are honored, will then tip in the end. And I agree with that! But I think sometimes, as a practical matter, if you slip someone a few bucks up front they realize you may do more if they please you. After all, how many people on the cruises either don't personally believe in tipping or are from countries where it simply is not done? In an ideal world the service would be the same. In the real world, I don't know about that.

I think the difference is you have people who think they should just be able to make their requests and, if they are honored, will then tip in the end. And I agree with that! But I think sometimes, as a practical matter, if you slip someone a few bucks up front they realize you may do more if they please you. After all, how many people on the cruises either don't personally believe in tipping or are from countries where it simply is not done? In an ideal world the service would be the same. In the real world, I don't know about that.

Agreed CCG! Leaving it to the end is a hope not at TIP. If I'm looking for a certain level of service that is important to me then a few $$ up front sets me apart from the herd. It works for me and again I go back to human nature- a sure thing. It would be nice to have mind readers and perfect upfront service all the time but that is not reality. Some people make it happen and some wait for it to happen. I guess I know where I stand and I am ok with that. Everyone's comfort level dictates that. To each their own.

We make the few standard requests we always have when we first meet our steward. We mention the few things that are important to us, he either makes a mental note or jots it on a piece of paper.

We don't usually ever have to mention those things again.

We are not expecting the steward to be a mind reader. We request what we want on day one when we first meet.

However, we tip at the end of the cruise when we are well pleased as we always are.

Archived