SEATAC-Victoria-Vancouver-Transportation Tips

Oldnslow1

We are booked to depart Vancouver NB on the NCL Sun, June 3 but want to visit Victoria beforehand. Do you have transportation and hotel suggestions for two mobil and energetic couples? I understand there are several options including car rental but what will be best for us? We are considering spending Friday night in either Seattle (10:30 AM arrival) or Victoria, and then overnight on Saturday in Victoria, and Sunday night in Vancouver with a 2 PM (or earlier) boarding at Canada Place on Monday. Car rental is about $550.00 but may be cheaper than the Clipper considering time and logistics from the airport, and taxis or public transportation in Victoria and Vancouver. We will want to see the gardens and usual sights. Any ideas or resources for decision making?

Thanks,

Oldnslow1

You could spend Friday sightseeing in Seattle and over night leaving Saturday on the Anacortes ferry to Vancouver Island (Victoria). Spend the day sightseeing in Victoria,including Butchart Gardens, stay over night and then take the Swartz Bay/Twassen (SP?) ferry Sunday morning.

Having a rental car does make it more expensive for the ferries but it does give you the freedom to roam around at your leisure.

Rockfan2

We are booked to depart Vancouver NB on the NCL Sun, June 3 but want to visit Victoria beforehand. Do you have transportation and hotel suggestions for two mobil and energetic couples? I understand there are several options including car rental but what will be best for us? We are considering spending Friday night in either Seattle (10:30 AM arrival) or Victoria, and then overnight on Saturday in Victoria, and Sunday night in Vancouver with a 2 PM (or earlier) boarding at Canada Place on Monday. Car rental is about $550.00 but may be cheaper than the Clipper considering time and logistics from the airport, and taxis or public transportation in Victoria and Vancouver. We will want to see the gardens and usual sights. Any ideas or resources for decision making?

Thanks,

Oldnslow1

I lived in Victoria for 30 years, so here are my nuggets of advice.

• Avoid taking a car on the ferry. Not only is it expensive, it adds to the time as you'll need to be at the ferry terminal earlier. Driving Seattle - Victoria you should probably budget 7 hrs w/ the ferry (any of the routes)
  • Consider [car rental] driving to Port Angeles, WA and walking on the MV Coho ferry; vs taking the clipper. It's a lot less expensive. Both drop you off in the middle of towndown.
  • Consider flying straight to YYJ/Victoria if you don't intend to spend time in Seattle. Alaska fly 5-6 daily in the summer SEA-YYJ. You'll basically be wasting a day in traveling when you drive/boat over.
  • On cruise day, take the city bus to the ferry and walk on at Swartz Bay. At the Tsawwassen end, you walk off and grab another city bus which connects to the Skytrain (same ticket) and takes you to 3 blocks from the cruise terminal. Just as fast (or faster) than driving yourself.

there is a whole section of tips on Seattle forum on Tripadvisor.com. Look on top right. You could look at specials at Kenmore air.com. They fly from Seattle but offer a shuttle from Seatac. Also look at Alaskaair.com as they have specials as well as Victoria clippers website. Victoria is very walkable and the bus leaves from behind the Empress right to downtown Vancouver so a car is really totally unnecessary. You could also take the train to Vancovuer then bus and ferry to Victoria form same depot.

It looks like we could take the Olympic Bus to Port Angeles and have about one hour to walk on. I am concerned about timing and Customs. Do you go through Customs before he Coho Ferry or after disembarking at Victoria? Do you se any problems with this plan? It seems to be our cheapest alternative to car rental.

never heard of that bus company and it's been years since I took the Port Angeles ferry so I can't help you there. Regardless of which transportation option you choose to reach Canada, you will have to show proper documentation before you board.

Bolt Bus is another option for the Seattle -Vancouver leg. Tickets aren't available until several weeks prior but they're cheap if you pounce on them immediately. Plug in a date 6 weeks out and check the price. This would get you to Vanc on Friday to overnight, check-out Sat but leave most of your luggage with the front desk, take a noon-ish bus to Victoria for an overngiht stay, then return Sunday afternoon to the Vancouver hotel.

Somehow a car seems like it should be cheaper, especially split 4 ways.

Fri Pick up car at 11am, drive to Victoria. Enjoy the harbor area.

Sat drive to butchart. Catch afternoon ferry. Drive to Vanc and drop off the car. 2 day car rental

Sun explore Vancouver

Mon check out of hotel but leave luggage at front desk so you can sightsee until 3 or whenever you need to board

Other options for a friday transfer to Vancouver ... Amtrak Cascades train or bus, Quick Coach.

I think the car makes the most sense; it allows you much more flexibility in choosing a route, provides secure luggage storage and no schlepping, and even allows you to stay outside city centers, with additional savings in hotel expense.

One thing to check on is picking up the car at someplace besides an airport location. For example, for a 4-day rental starting 5/31 in downtown Seattle and ending 6/3 in downtown Vancouver, Budget is quoting around $418 for a full-size car, $490 for an SUV, which is over $100 cheaper than the same cars picked up at the airport, due to high airport taxes. For $45 you can take a towncar from the airport to the rental car office, or say 14 bucks a head with tip, and off you go.

One other thing I'll mention, at the risk of offending our dear friends on Vancouver Island, is that if your main purpose in going to Victoria is to see the Butchart Gardens, be advised that Vancouver (city) has some splendid gardens of its own, including the Queen Elizabeth II Park gardens and Bloedel Conservatory, and the Van Dusen Botanical Gardens. For my money the QE2 Park gardens are darn near as nice as Butchart, but at a much lower cost, less commercial hype, and obviously way easier to visit in a short time.

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/queen-elizabeth-park.aspx

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/bloedel-conservatory.aspx

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/vandusen-botanical-garden.aspx

I think the car makes the most sense; it allows you much more flexibility in choosing a route, provides secure luggage storage and no schlepping, and even allows you to stay outside city centers, with additional savings in hotel expense.

One thing to check on is picking up the car at someplace besides an airport location. For example, for a 4-day rental starting 5/31 in downtown Seattle and ending 6/3 in downtown Vancouver, Budget is quoting around $418 for a full-size car, $490 for an SUV, which is over $100 cheaper than the same cars picked up at the airport, due to high airport taxes. For $45 you can take a towncar from the airport to the rental car office, or say 14 bucks a head with tip, and off you go.

One other thing I'll mention, at the risk of offending our dear friends on Vancouver Island, is that if your main purpose in going to Victoria is to see the Butchart Gardens, be advised that Vancouver (city) has some splendid gardens of its own, including the Queen Elizabeth II Park gardens and Bloedel Conservatory, and the Van Dusen Botanical Gardens. For my money the QE2 Park gardens are darn near as nice as Butchart, but at a much lower cost, less commercial hype, and obviously way easier to visit in a short time.

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/queen-elizabeth-park.aspx

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/bloedel-conservatory.aspx

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/vandusen-botanical-garden.aspx

There are lots of options to cost out that's for sure. Altho the car saves in some ways, it's pricey for the ferry. At least $100 per trip. But a car offers so much more flexibility.

I don't usually disagree with you gardyloo, but the Vancouver gardens don't come close to the beauty of Butchart. Plus late May is very early in the season ... Butchart will always have something planted to provide color in each garden. I don't know that the city park will be planted out as well. We went to VanDusen mid June last summer and it was so disappointing. We had missed the rhodies and azaleas and nothing else was in bloom. It was also overgrown with weeds. We were so sorry we hadn't gone to Butchart. Later in the summer the other gardens are nice when the flowers, especially roses are in bloom, but still ... not Butchart.

Thanks,

Oldnslow1

I think you are taking on too much by going to trying to see all 3 cities before your cruise. You're going to find that the $550 for the car + 2 ferry ride for car & passengers at $225 ($775) + the extra travel time not worth it. While Victoria is nice, it's not $600 + 1/2 day travels worth.

My options would be:

1) Stay in Seattle for the day and then take the morning train or shuttle to Vancouver and spend the 2nd & 3rd day there. You can board the ship just before noon on the 4th day. (you will basically get a 3/4 day in Seattle and a 1 3/4 days + a morning in Vancouver)

2) I personally would head straight for Vancouver from Seatac on the "Quick" shuttle and be there in the afternoon. (you would get 3/4 + 2 day + a morning in Vancouver) There's plenty to see and do that the 3 days (total time) won't seem enough. With the transportation savings you can stay in one of the best Vancouver waterfront hotels.

Trying to include Victoria will stress you out as you'll be "on the clock" from the moment you get off the plane in Seattle. You'll spend a 1/4 to 1/2 of each day in transit and you will not do justice to any of the 3 cities.

your making it way too complicted. Taking the clipper from downtown /seattle to downtown Victoira is simple.

clippervacations.com

'then bus ferry to Vancouver with PCL. Easy peasy. Amtrak back to Seattle. Scenic and fun.

no problems

I think you are taking on too much by going to trying to see all 3 cities before your cruise. You're going to find that the $550 for the car + 2 ferry ride for car & passengers at $225 ($775) + the extra travel time not worth it. While Victoria is nice, it's not $600 + 1/2 day travels worth.

My options would be:

1) Stay in Seattle for the day and then take the morning train or shuttle to Vancouver and spend the 2nd & 3rd day there. You can board the ship just before noon on the 4th day. (you will basically get a 3/4 day in Seattle and a 1 3/4 days + a morning in Vancouver)

2) I personally would head straight for Vancouver from Seatac on the "Quick" shuttle and be there in the afternoon. (you would get 3/4 + 2 day + a morning in Vancouver) There's plenty to see and do that the 3 days (total time) won't seem enough. With the transportation savings you can stay in one of the best Vancouver waterfront hotels.

Trying to include Victoria will stress you out as you'll be "on the clock" from the moment you get off the plane in Seattle. You'll spend a 1/4 to 1/2 of each day in transit and you will not do justice to any of the 3 cities.

As someone is pointing out the money, but not the obvious answer. If you're willing to drop that kind of money on a car rental + ferry, you may as well fly SEA-YYJ/Victoria. That takes the journey from Seatac to Victoria from 6+ hours to 35 minutes

It looks like we could take the Olympic Bus to Port Angeles and have about one hour to walk on. I am concerned about timing and Customs. Do you go through Customs before he Coho Ferry or after disembarking at Victoria?...

There is no pre-clearance in Port Angeles; you will go through Customs and Immigration once you arrive in Victoria.

Archived