2 choices

Johnny fish

Honestly asking a forum like this made up of cruise lovers you are going to get a some what biased opinion. When we booked our first cruise in the '80's we booked a 4 day cruise as we were worried we wouldn't like it or we would get sick. Back then not many traveled that way so we had not heard enough about cruising to make an informed choice. Well to our surprise we got the upgrade of a lifetime. We were offered a 7 day crusie for no extra money! We took it and thank goodness we loved it. We don't necessarily like short cruises--we hook two together if they are less than 7 days. But that being said if you even think you may not like a cruise do the shorter one and then book a longer one if you love it. I can't imagine anything worse than hating something and not being able to get off. My sister went on a cruise and will never go again. It is just not for her. Good luck.

We actually did a 6 night Southern Caribbean for our first cruise and were hooked, line & sinker. We weren't sure if we were going to like it all all. We are taking our 9th cruise in March. When we price other vacations, we just can't beat a cruise. Love the fact you don't have to worry about dinner reservations or waiting in line, wonder what you're going to do in the evenings and worry about traffice in a strange place. My friend, a floating resort is the best of all worlds. Unpack once and wake up to a different view/port each day.

Just want to give a little advice - if you are at all prone to motion sickness, start taking Bonine the day before you leave and continue to take it every day on the cruise. Even if you're feeling well don't skip it. Once you get motion sickness, it is not that easy to get rid of. So I always tell people to prevent it in the first place. If it makes you tired, take at bedtime.

If the price is close, go for the 7 night cruise. I think you won't regret it. If the price is a big difference, then try the 5 night. It will just make you want to book your next cruise sooner!

Im prone to motion-sickness and I was really worried our first cruise. I took all the meds with me as well as seabands and never needed any of it thankfully.

Our next cruise in March I plan to do the same, no car rides are the same so why would I expect cruising to be? Im also planning enough for my family just in case.

I think what your concerns are with the longer cruise is the issue. Are you worried you will get sick? If so, go on the shorter cruise and see how your body does. If you are worried about not having enough to do to occupy your time while on board, take the 7 day cruise...you will be hard-pressed to NOT find something to do. if you aren't sure if you will like it, read the reviews on here...for instance, if you know you can't stand crowds, you might see how you like a shorter cruise. If you are normally go with the flow type people, you will probably love it.

So, my advice is read the reviews to see what cruising is like if it is just that there are lots of unknowns since it is your first one...ask questions if you think of some. I really think if you read many reviews (not just one) and see something that could be a deal breaker for your enjoyment, take the shorter cruise...if you don't, opt for the longer one!

FOR YOU, definitely do the 5-day cruise. Please don't be swayed by the people here overwhelmingly recommending the 7-day. Cruising is certainly not for everyone!!! I've met many people who decided after one cruise that they just simply don't like it, for one reason or another. One couple I know disembarked in Cozumel on the morning of Day 4, so anxious to end the cruise, eating the extra expense of the hotel & flight back. You will see almost none of these people anywhere around cruisecritic. Cruisecritic is made up of people who love cruising, so we would almost always want 7 days as opposed to 5. But FOR YOU, I highly recommend trying the 5-day cruise. If you love it and felt like it was way too short, book a longer one next time. But you really should start off with a short one.

I would also factor in travel time to port. My first cruise was a 5 day out of Tampa and I loved it. However, I also have to fly to any embarkation port so doing a 7 day makes more sense to take advantage of the flight. However, you can always add vacation days beforehand too to do the same thing if that applies in your case. If you think either of you may not enjoy the cruising experience, do the 5 day. You can always do another cruise if you enjoy it.

The Gulf is pretty calm absent a tropical depression, so unless you’re highly sensitive, you will probably be okay with a little non-drowsy Dramamine. But there’s so much more than that to consider.

I’d normally immediately agree with most here and say 7 day, no question! But, this is your first cruise, and that has to be considered as well. I looked at the Glory itinerary and it is very port-intensive. You are in 4 ports with 2 sea days. If you have never been to any of these ports and will look to cram in as much as you can in each, you may end up being more exhausted in the end. I did ziplining in the jungle in Belize. It was awesome, but the ride to the jungle was over an hour each way in an old, bumpy no air conditioning school bus. It was worth it for me because the tour was great, but it’s not for everyone.

The 5 day has 2 ports and 2 sea days, and both ports have a variety of things to choose from and do, all of which are relatively close to the ship.

You should also check out the ships themselves. They are in different classes, and you might find that the amenities on one are more preferable to you than the the amenities on the other. There are tons of threads on here about both ships, as well as all ports of call. Also, there are many videos posted on line.

I think the 5 and 6 day cruises offer a nice balance for people new to cruising. They’re long enough to allow you to get a feel for what cruising has to offer, they’re not too port intensive, and they’re not so short that you feel you are packing up as soon as you’ve unpacked.

Have you considered the 6 day on the Breeze out of Miami? It’s a nice itinerary with 3 ports but sea days in between the ports which will take away from that “run, run” feeling, and allow you to recharge. Not to make it harder for you, lol, but if you factor in the Breeze, you will be choosing from 3 classes of ships: the small, the large, and the x-large, lol. Here’s the itin for the Breeze:

Port

Sun - Miami, FL

Mon - Key West, FL

Tue - Fun Day at Sea

Wed - Grand Turk

Thur - Fun Day at Sea

Fri - Nassau, the Bahamas

Sat - Miami, FL

Archived