First time SeaDream cruiser with questions

Ms. Mowgli

Hi,

I have only ever been on one cruise last year for a wedding, and it was the Disney Dream to the Bahamas for 5 days. It was a really wonderful trip with family and friends.

My boyfriend has never been on a cruise and hates crowds so I have been reading up on SeaDream and still have a few questions that I am hoping you can help me with. He is turning 50 this June and hoping to give him a wonderful relaxing and memorable trip as his gift. I am thinking of the 7 night Caribbean cruise leaving San Juan on March 31 and ending at St. Martin on April 7.

I saw on Seadream's website that if there are previous Seadream cruisers who are going on the same cruise as a new guest that they recommend, that both would get $100 off one cabin. Can someone confirm and also, let me know if you are going on this cruise too, so we can both save a bit of money. I think there is a form that needs to be filled on the website.

Also, what are the best hotels for pre and post cruise and what are the excursions that are worth paying for on this itinerary?

Thank you soo much!!:)

Hi there. A SeaDream cruise for a 50th birthday is quite a nice gift! I have not heard of the incentive you write of, but it wouldn't surprise me.

If you want to be right by the pier in San Juan, you should look into booking at the Sheraton. It's literally right across the street from the cruise terminal. When my husband and I went to San Juan, we stayed at the Doubletree, which is in Condado. We really liked the hotel and it was near the beach and some nice restaurants, though it wasn't near the cruise terminal. I have also heard nice things about El Convento, which is in Old San Juan, not far from the cruise terminal.

If you're staying in San Juan, I would recommend visiting the Museum of Modern Art if you like art. They have some really interesting exhibits there. My husband and I also really enjoyed a day excursion to El Yunque; we just rented a car and went there. It was really nice-- lots of beautiful scenery and easy hiking.

I have not been to St. Martin, so I can't advise you there.

Others will chime in soon, I'm sure!

Hi! My husband and I (age 49/48) will be on this cruise! We have done 16 RCCL cruises and this will be our first Seadream sailing. We are so excited to try something new. We are flying into San Juan on Friday night and staying at the El Convento. We have stayed in San Juan many times and normally stay at the Marriott Stellaris.

As far as St. Martin --- we originally planned to stay two nights at La Samanna, but plans have changed and I need to be back to work on Monday, so we are flying out home on Sunday afternoon.

I don't know anything about the $100 rebate. We booked through a travel agent several months ago.

Hope you get to join this sailing!

You will love Sea Dream, and I vote to "go for it." Small ship, no crowds, and excellent service. An excellent gift idea.

As for the $100 discount you mentioned, I have not heard of it on SeaDream, but it seems like I did on some other line (Perhaps Seabourn).. SeaDream will offer you a discount (15% I think) off of your next cruise if you put up a deposit while on the current cruise. And if you don't know which "future" cruise you want, you can just specify an open booking, put up $2500 deposit, and then select a future cruise later... and if you decide not to book, they will refund the deposit.

Enjoy!

Good morning!

@ Knotheadusc: Thank you for the hotel tips--I think the Sheraton may be the best option then. We have to figure out flights first before booking but I have a hold on a cabin. I love art museums so we will put that Museum of Modern Art on the To Do list! I haven't had a chance to look up El Yunque yet. Can you tell me if it is difficult to drive there? Are there crazy drivers? Did you encounter any problems?

@ Rosejazz: I just called Seadream and so far, as far as Lawrence from Miami can tell, there are only 5 kids on this sailing...not sure of the ages but he did mention that they are well behaved because they are well travelled. I called because I was a bit worried reading all of the old posts about someone having 30 kids on their previous sailing close to Easter. LOL. Don't get me wrong--I love kids--just wanted to make sure the atmosphere would still be relaxing. I can't wait to meet you and will keep you posted as to when I have finalized the booking. Just waiting for approval for time off from work and then the countdown can begin!

@BeignetBoy--Personally, I would love it if someone bought me this triip as a birthday gift and I haven't even been onboard yet! So I am hoping he will love it--I am keeping it a secret. I've told him the dates and that its the caribbean but nothing about the ship other than it small. He asked if we are going on a catamaran! Lol--it was hard not to gush about all of the wonderful things I have read about the ship!

What do you like best about Seadream? Have you been on the Caribbean sailings and if so, which excursions did you enjoy?

Thank you!

P.S. I'm in Canada, and over the past week we've had such cold temperatures (between -30C and -40C with the windchill!) and today high is +11C with freezing rain--needless to say, I'm REALLY looking forward to this trip!

Actually, the museum I'm referring to is the Museum of Contemporary Art (MAC). Here's a link to it, though it looks like the site might be down right now. http://www.museocontemporaneopr.org It's near the Condado area-- we were able to walk there from the Doubletree, so if you stay in Old San Juan, you'll need to take the bus or get a taxi.

We actually went in there because I had to pee! It turned out it was a really interesting place, with a great collection of art from Puerto Ricans. What I got from it was the extreme ambivalence many Puerto Ricans have toward being a US territory. Some of the exhibits were quite profound. That was our first visit to Puerto Rico, so we had never really given a lot of thought to how Puerto Ricans feel about being part of the US. Behind the museum, there's a lovely pond with fish and a little path.

You shouldn't have any problems driving in Puerto Rico. My husband was concerned about it, but when we told the lady at the car rental place that he had driven in Italy, she laughed and said we'd have no issues. If I recall correctly, we did have to drive through a neighborhood to get to El Yunque, but it is a national park. Bring your bathing suits and towels, because you can wade in the streams and under the waterfalls! Also, bring dry clothes because it rains in the forest every day. We just rented the car for the day, since a lot of places were walkable from our hotel, except for Old San Juan.

http://www.elyunque.com

Here's a link to the Sheraton... http://www.puertoricosheraton.com

In November 2011, we did a southern Caribbean itinerary on SeaDream and enjoyed it, but I would love to go back to Puerto Rico. It was one of my favorite stops of all of the places I've been in the Caribbean-- not that I've been to a lot of places yet.

I just called Seadream and so far, as far as Lawrence from Miami can tell, there are only 5 kids on this sailing...not sure of the ages but he did mention that they are well behaved because they are well travelled.

That is very odd to be given such an assumption/reassurance on the behavior of children. Their ages would be a better indicator.

The Museo de Arte is the other art museum in San Juan. We have never been to the museum, but they had a gourmet restaurant that is open for dinner after hours. I understand it is no longer the same restaurant it was when we went, but it is owned by a celebrity chef, Mario Pagan. It is now called Legend: Art Bar. Worth looking into, I'd imagine.

We've stayed at the Sheraton. Its best feature is proximity to the pier and the old city. We've also stayed at the Hilton. It isn't too far away and has a great pool and beach. The rooms - not so much. It is an historic hotel going back at least to the 50's. In its day, it was the place to stay.

You are probably aware of this, but there is one trick about driving in San Juan. All the signs are in Spanish. Nothing bi-lingual. I wouldn't try it myself because by the time I figured out the sign it would be too late. At least they drive on the right side of the road. Also, the police cars have their lights flashing all the time, so don't think they are chasing you (unless, of course, there is a reason to think that).

To answer your other thread: I don't know what your itinerary is, but one of the crew led excursions that is always nice is the chef's shopping trip. He doesn't always do one, but ask about it. We have just done two trips on SD1 and the big thing was biking. From what I gather, you really have to be in condition because it sounds like wherever they go it is uphill there and back.

You will enjoy.

Zimmy's DH

Ms. Mowgli,

So glad you will be joining! Also happy to hear there are only 5 kids at this time. We thought about that when we booked, but I work in the school system, so it's easier for me to travel during spring break week. As long as the kids are not mine, don't bother me and I don't have to watch them--then no worries from me. Although I will admit, my children (now age 22 and 19) are also very well traveled and were easy travelers when they were younger/teens --- I sure wouldn't have taken then on Seadream (hence the 16 RCCL cruises we have done!). I can't imagine there is much for smaller kids to do on this type of trip. Oh well, to each his own :)

Only 9 weeks to go!

That is very odd to be given such an assumption/reassurance on the behavior of children. Their ages would be a better indicator.

I agree with this. 5 young children on SeaDream is 5 too many. Fully half of our SeaDream voyages have been marred by unruly children. The ships are just not set up for kids. They have absolutely nothing to do but interfere with adult activities. If you think kids are always wonderful, God bless you. I think there are inappropriate venues for small children--and SeaDream is one of them.

Jim...while I work with kids all day, I certainly don't want to spend my vacation with them. I agree...I don't understand why one would spend this type of money to take a child on an exclusive sailing such as this.

One more kid trip and my Honey has told me NO More SeaDream!:eek: Hate to say it but this is a schizophrenic line.:eek: Really great when it delivers as advertised and not so much when the passenger mix is wrong. They just need to man up and declare it an adults only venue. Others do it and are quite successful at it. As I have said before, lots of choices out there when you are spending $10K or up per week.:eek:

Given the fact that we are 100% Sea Dream fans, and hate to have to plan on using another cruise line, the "kids" thing would scare me too. While we have never been on a Sea Dream trip with kids, and we are about to leave on our 4th cruise (Three will be/have been on a crossing (probably too long for "kids") and the other was in the BVIs)...

As others have said, Sea Dream should just declare "Adults Only". Some kids would be "no problem" but others could just ruin some of the ambiance.

I don't know that I would cancel my trip if we learned that 5 children would be onboard, but it would cause me to rethink.

Again, it would be a hard decision on what we would do in this case.

And as for San Juan, we are booked for a TA Crossing on SDI leaving from San Juan in April. As we were planning our trip, we discovered that Hotel En Convento is connected with Sea Dream and we booked for two nights there because it just looked great. I think that it was the #1 recommended site on Trip Advisor, and the connection with Sea Dream offered a slight break in the price.

Hi Everyone!:D

:DGuess why I have a huge grin today?:D

I just booked my trip tonight --everything is confirmed and the countdown begins!!

Thank you to everyone who has provided tips for me regarding the museum and the hotels and about the shore side excursions (from my other thread)

I just completed a full day at work and also 4 hours of French class this evening and am quite tired so I apologize for not replying directly to all that have posted on this thread.....

It was my birthday yesterday and wanted to book it since its a gift to myself too but alas, my travel consultant wasn't working yesterday. Better late than never!

Oh, how are the massages on the Seadream? I received a $300 on board spa credit....do they do couples massages? Will they do it beachside?

Lawrence did not mention how full the sailing was but I did ask if there was enough people for them to still sail and he said yes. Just wanted to make sure they wouldn't cancel the trip.

Has anyone recently been given a room on a higher deck recently even if a GTY was purchased? Just wondering how rare it is to get that....

Congratulations!

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the room you get. They're all pretty much outfitted the same way, with the exception of portholes on Deck 2. And our first SeaDream trip was booked with a guaranty fare and we got Deck 3.

The massages are awesome. I've never had a couples massage on SeaDream, but I'm sure someone can answer your question... and they will probably do it for you, even if it's not the spa menu (and I haven't checked to see if it is). They will do it in the spa or on deck if you wish. I think they also do beachside massages... I only know this because last time, they accidentally charged us for another couple's massage! In any case, I've gotten massages on both of my cruises and they were both mesmerizing. I talked my husband into getting one and he was glowing afterwards.

Happy birthday. Welcome aboard!:D

Given the fact that we are 100% Sea Dream fans, and hate to have to plan on using another cruise line, the "kids" thing would scare me too. While we have never been on a Sea Dream trip with kids, and we are about to leave on our 4th cruise (Three will be/have been on a crossing (probably too long for "kids") and the other was in the BVIs)...

As others have said, Sea Dream should just declare "Adults Only". Some kids would be "no problem" but others could just ruin some of the ambiance.

I don't know that I would cancel my trip if we learned that 5 children would be onboard, but it would cause me to rethink.

Again, it would be a hard decision on what we would do in this case.

And as for San Juan, we are booked for a TA Crossing on SDI leaving from San Juan in April. As we were planning our trip, we discovered that Hotel En Convento is connected with Sea Dream and we booked for two nights there because it just looked great. I think that it was the #1 recommended site on Trip Advisor, and the connection with Sea Dream offered a slight break in the price.

I am just going to point out that in spite of SD's best efforts kids have no business on SD. If you want to see how they behave and are supervised look at post #315 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1576769

The kids pictured were all well traveled.

Interesting link to the trip with Kids at the pool... Thanks for posting it.

I wonder what the new CEO's position is on this. I am inclined to write her an email on this and ask her to note the many unfavorable comments on the boards on this matter.

Interesting link to the trip with Kids at the pool... Thanks for posting it.

I wonder what the new CEO's position is on this. I am inclined to write her an email on this and ask her to note the many unfavorable comments on the boards on this matter.

That would be good. If you have not had this problem on SeaDream, you are very lucky. Even trying to avoid school holiday times is not a guarantee of kid free trips. Just a crap shoot.:eek:

Good idea Beignetboy. Not sure what revenue SD derives from families but they must know. Maybe even implementing 16 or 18+ on one of the ships or some of the routes ( crew children excluded). That would certainly influence my decision as to which route to choose. As the mom of 4-yr old twin boys I love to cruise with my kids (transatlantic preferred- Nieuw Amsterdam 4/13 - can't wait!) but need my SD adult time. There were no kiddies on SD1 12/2/12 trip - I just assumed it was always like this. When we were considering what to do for our anniv week trip we picked SD because it did not seem appropriate for younger children. Others on the boat said that also influenced their decision. Seeing the posts I guess we could have had a very different experience. You can't paint all kids with the same brush that's why it would be nice to know if some routes were 18+ only. Just my 2c in case you formulate a letter to the CEO.

Good idea Beignetboy. Not sure what revenue SD derives from families but they must know. Maybe even implementing 16 or 18+ on one of the ships or some of the routes ( crew children excluded). That would certainly influence my decision as to which route to choose. As the mom of 4-yr old twin boys I love to cruise with my kids (transatlantic preferred- Nieuw Amsterdam 4/13 - can't wait!) but need my SD adult time. There were no kiddies on SD1 12/2/12 trip - I just assumed it was always like this. When we were considering what to do for our anniv week trip we picked SD because it did not seem appropriate for younger children. Others on the boat said that also influenced their decision. Seeing the posts I guess we could have had a very different experience. You can't paint all kids with the same brush that's why it would be nice to know if some routes were 18+ only. Just my 2c in case you formulate a letter to the CEO.

I know of at least two separate TA crossings, each with a one child, From all reports the child was not a nuisance -10 or 12 and well behaved.

We've havd a couple of children on each of our earlier Dec voyages - again - no problems whatsoever.

But there is no route dedicated to adults only. As long as there are empty cabins - SD will sell. I will never book early again on SD - but at the last minute so I can know the number of small children on board. That limits our opportunities, but until SD changes its policies - unfortunately, that's it.

FT

@knotheadusc: Can't wait for the massages then...do you prefer the ones with Harnn products?

@zqvol: thank you for the link with the review of that sailing. It was such an excellent review of the entire experience on SeaDream. It's a shame that the parents don't take more responsibility for their children when they are on board. It shouldn't matter if the children are paying full-fare, the safety and enjoyment of everyone on board should be the top prority for the crew.

@frequent traveller: how last minute do you book now? I still have 2 months to go before we set sail and crossing my fingers that the number of young children don't surpass 10-15% of total guests.

Does anyone know how deep are the discounts that Seadream offers for last minute bookings? (For the Caribbean in particular.) What are the best prices that you have seen or recieved for last minute bookings? I am thinking of exteding the trip to 2 weeks by either going the week before or adding another week after our March 31 sailing.:D Do prices ever dip to below $2K? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? :D

Ms. Mowgli,

My very first SeaDream cruise was $1599 a person. It was a GTY fare on a 5 night cruise in the Caribbean in 2010. I have seen the prices as low as $1499, but that was only once, in 2009.

As for the Harnn products you mention, I couldn't tell you. The first time I cruised on SeaDream, they were using Declor products. Last time, it was La Prairie. I'm not even sure what they used, to be honest! Both times I got massages, I got packages!

@knotheadusc: Can't wait for the massages then...do you prefer the ones with Harnn products?

@zqvol: thank you for the link with the review of that sailing. It was such an excellent review of the entire experience on SeaDream. It's a shame that the parents don't take more responsibility for their children when they are on board. It shouldn't matter if the children are paying full-fare, the safety and enjoyment of everyone on board should be the top prority for the crew.

@frequent traveller: how last minute do you book now? I still have 2 months to go before we set sail and crossing my fingers that the number of young children don't surpass 10-15% of total guests.

Does anyone know how deep are the discounts that Seadream offers for last minute bookings? (For the Caribbean in particular.) What are the best prices that you have seen or recieved for last minute bookings? I am thinking of exteding the trip to 2 weeks by either going the week before or adding another week after our March 31 sailing.:D Do prices ever dip to below $2K? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? :D

First, a B2b on SD is wonderful - our 2012 B2B was the absolute best vacation we have ever taken. So if you can do - I say for go it.

Depending on the voyage - yes fares dip below 2k, its typically one month to two weeks out. When we were on our B2B last summer, SD dramatically dropped the 2nd week of our cruise starting about a month out and kept sending out e-mails until the end of the week before. Of course having already paid in full, we didn't get the benefit. (but the families with small children did !)

And if you wait until you are on board to book the 2nd week, I think you will get 15% off as a "repeat" guest plus 5% more for the 2nd week of a B2B. Of course that risks a totally full ship.

SD does not use Harnn products. I've gone through a brain freeze because I can't remember what they do use (I'm allergic to several prodcuts so I get a no-name massage oil) As a booked guest, you should be able to access spa site for prebookings and get details.

Very envious of you - no cruises booked right now. Hope you will post for us stuck here in the world of work and deadlines.

FT

A year ago we took our first SeaDream, out of St. Thomas and arriving San Juan. Walked easily with our luggage from the ship to the car rental office in the Sheraton for our trip to El Yunque. Very easy driving, no problems at all. Loved the SD massage. I wouldn't worry too much about booking excursions, you may choose to do one or a few, but you don't have to book one every day. My husband loved biking with the crew, and we both enjoyed the crew walks and the splash, or just doing stuff on our own or with people we met on the ship.

Archived