Viking Rhine Getaway -- newbie questions

trish1c

They have been sent to your email - hope you enjoy them!

I am too cheap to ship stuff (I'd rather buy more stuff with the $$!) - I packed everything carefully and hauled it home - with only ONE exception - the cukoo clock we bought in the black forest shop. They gave me a lovely discount that more than covered them shipping it directly to me - it arrived just a few days after I did, in perfect shape!

Enjoy your cruise! :D

If love to see your blog! I have been on 13 cruises but never a river cruise. Hubby and I will hopefully go back to Europe in 2015 and will consider a river cruise this time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If love to see your blog! I have been on 13 cruises but never a river cruise. Hubby and I will hopefully go back to Europe in 2015 and will consider a river cruise this time.

Sorry forgot my email address

gwyncr@cox.net

Thanks!

Hello Lori,

I hope I am not too late to ask for your travel blog, but if you are still willing to share, would you send it to me, too, please? fdmer1@yahoo.ca

After a ton of discussions, it looks like we'll be booking a Nov 2014 Rhine Getaway. We are looking at the older ships. When does the Christmas Market season start? I'd absolutely love to catch it, but we find it hard to travel in December, too many family traditions and commitments, and that's the best part of life. Cruising i a close second - LOL!

Thanks,

Mary

Hello Lori,

I hope I am not too late to ask for your travel blog, but if you are still willing to share, would you send it to me, too, please? fdmer1@yahoo.ca

After a ton of discussions, it looks like we'll be booking a Nov 2014 Rhine Getaway. We are looking at the older ships. When does the Christmas Market season start? I'd absolutely love to catch it, but we find it hard to travel in December, too many family traditions and commitments, and that's the best part of life. Cruising is a close second - LOL!

Thanks,

Mary

Lori, my wife and I will be on the VRC Jarl starting 12/06/13. I'd love to read your blog about the Rhine River. Please send it to: jwhallahan@aol.com. Thank you. It would be great if a link to it could be posted then folks would not have to pester (like me) you! Don't know if that's possible but it would help a lot of folks I'm sure. Again, thank you!:)

Howdy Lori,

I know you are probably tiring of these requests, but I am going to try anyway! We are sailing on the Baldur for the Amsterdam - Basel Christmas Market cruise this December and are also Floridians so would appreciate reading about your experience. Thanks in advance for helping all of us out!

gopens@cox.net

Lori,

Are you still sending out your travel notes? If so, I would like a copy. E-mail address if rminton57@msn.com. My husband and I are going from Basel to Amsterdam in early November with AMA.

One question, do people dress up for dinner like they do on the big cruise ships.

Thanks.

Becky

We just did the AMA Rhine cruise this summer, from Amsterdam to Basel. No one dresses for dinner.

Our blog is here on Cruise Critic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916435

Wife and I are taking a Rhine River cruise in a couple of months and will be embarking from Nuremberg. We are arriving 1 day early. Does anyone have recommendations for a decent hotel near the port?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I think short sleeves for early June might be not be warm enough - but you never know! I usually monitor the weather for about a month or so before traveling - can't be fool proof but usually help in getting an idea of tempertures!

Good Lucj and have a fabulous trip!!

Looks like my husband and I will be on the cruise with you. We'll probably be the youngest couple on the ship and shouldn't be hard to find. We have one of the rooms on the lowest level. Any tips for making it more comfortable? I've read comments about noise on that level.

Thanks and see you in December!

Lori, we have never cruised on a river boat and would like some opinions about the boat itself, the accommodations and the food. Also, I have trouble doing long walks but can do the odd stroll around. What is your opinion of river cruising given these issues. Thanks a lot. Lily

We will be in Amsterdam June 9 this year, at the end of a cruise starting in Basel. How warm is the weather in early june? I am starting to think about what to pack. Any advice whould be appreciated.

We did Amsterdam to Basel in May a few years ago. I was surprised as to how warm it was. I wished I'd packed more short sleeve tops. There were quite a few areas along the river that were quite protected from wind, and the sun made things pleasant. With weather, it's hard to predict.

All --

I would appreciate receiving any blogs as well. My wife and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary next summer with the Rhine Getaway (Amsterdam to Basel on July 25).

We are on the Ingvi, a ship that I believe is new and just entering service next year. Our first river cruise and my first trip to Europe.

Any help you all can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jim

jims662000@gmail.com

Lori:

My husband and I will be going from AMsterdam to Basel in September 2014. If you could send your notes it would be a great start to our planning!

Email is .. Burke64@optonline.net

Thank you!!

We just got back from this trip October 1st. We loved every minute of it. We spent 5 days in Amsterdam before the river cruise. Take or get some cash right away. Some places in Amsterdam do not accept credit cards of any type so you want cash on hand. The trains are fabulous so if you go early take the train to Delft and go through the Delft pottery. They have an open market on Thursdays where they have their goods and foods out to buy. Take a canal ride there. In Amsterdam, well there is so much to do depending on what you want to do Take a day canal ride for sure. Ck out which Heritage Sundays are open to the public. If you are lucky like us, you can go through the houses there and learn all sorts of history. Example: We went through this door thinking it was a house, but in the back was a church. It was a religion that wasn't allowed during the war so it was hidden with in a house. All sorts of info.

After the cruise we trained it from Basel to Lucerne for 3.5 days then we trained it to Paris. If you plan on heading to Lucerne bring lots of money!!!!!!!! 1 beer and 2 very small glasses of wine was 31.00. So be prepared. Beautiful city though.

I do have some posting as do other people on cruise critic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40478860#post40478860

FYI You can take wine, beer and whisky on board without a problem. So take a wine opener.

During lunch and dinner (which can be as long as 2 or 2.5 hrs) wine is free and they fill the wine glass!

Before you leave for a tour they give you water.

I would be happy to answer any questions you would like to ask. One thing you will love this trip!!!!

sdodge1 - Would love to hear your comments on the various excursions. In particular the Black Florest trip. Also, did you take the optional Colmar excursion? And if so, how was it?

Great to hear you had a good time. We are doing the opposite route next June.

Lastly - any tips on where to stay in Amsterdam?