Viking Rhine Getaway -- newbie questions

trish1c

sdodge1 - Would love to hear your comments on the various excursions. In particular the Black Florest trip. Also, did you take the optional Colmar excursion? And if so, how was it?

Great to hear you had a good time. We are doing the opposite route next June.

Lastly - any tips on where to stay in Amsterdam?

Hi, We went on all the morning tours. The Black Forest, I was told wasn't that interesting, but we went anyway. Just the drive through the country side and the information about this area was worth it. Once you get there you have a choice of going and seeing clock making, glass blowing or eating/drinking or a walk in the forest. You could actually do several things as this is not a guided tour like a city. We went to the glass blowing which was great. You can purchase items there and we did. We decided to get some cappuccino instead of watching clock making. While in the restaurant they have a demonstration of making the black forest cake and you can get the recipe. Since I like to cook I enjoyed that. There is also the coo coo clock outside. Every half hour it goes off and there is a little show, but on the hour it does a lot of dancing, etc. We were very lucky and most of our trip was sunny and probably in the mid 60ies.

Colmar: To me, this was just an OK place. This had a lot of walking, so a few of us decided to do this on our own. We took the little blue train and traveled through the city. We were able to take pictures and learned about the history via head phones. Then we walked around, found an out door restaurant and had a glass of wine. Then met up with the guide at the time she said. You never want to be late. It is a very pretty city. The people that went with the guide said they liked it, but we probably saw more on the little train then by walking.

I have this shopping bag that is a very light material and rolls up extremely small and I can put it in my purse. I carry this when touring to put packages in. You probably will not need it here, but in some of the other cities you would.

Hotels: We stayed at Holksbergen. Right on the canal. I probably wouldn't stay there again. No elevator so you have to take the luggage up yourself. However, that area Singel 301 area is perfect for being able to walk to everything. The inner city does not have the large hotels like americans think of. They have kept the ambience in this area. Make sure you try the small little street restaurants. While walking down the street to the train station, on the left is a place called Teasers. Have an apple pancake. Oh yum. Just before that is a bakery. Have their sausage roll, heated then eat a way. They make sandwiches there also if you want to take something back to your hotel. You need to take this street to get to the canal to get a canal cruise (or at least we did). There are American type hotels there, but they are away from almost everything you want to see. Cabs are expensive there. (for me) Also, be careful when renting that the hotel has sound proof windows if close to a church. Some churches chime every 30 minutes to an hour. I believe there was a best western right on the canal that was by a church.

O'Reilly Irish Pub. great little quaint place with good food. On palace st/Dam Paleisstraat st.

Teasers. Great apple panecake. On /Dam Rak a couple blocks before the train station.

Facaccia Bakery. Oh gosh. they have such great pastries and they will make you sandwiches right there to your taste. We went there for breakfast and I have this puff pastry filled with a sausage in it. num fabulous! just watch what they bring out and ask if there is a filling in those rolls. they might be filled with cheese, meats, eggs. . . .

Koffiehuis de hoek. reestraat Harlenm st/prinsengracht. A little place with very good food. lots of locals there for lunch.

If you want to go on an adventure, take the train to Alkmaar. 40 minute comfortable ride. friends took us to: Hielander Scottish Restaurant (www dot hielander dot com). FANTASTIC we ordered the surprise 3 course meal. three courses and the owner matches the food to either whisky or wines . . . . meat or fish. it is delish. well worth a day trip to visit the city and a great dinner. for those that are whisky or scotch drinkers this restaurant has over 1000 bottles from around the world

• 2 weeks later...
On its way! Thanks for asking!:)

We are wanting to book Basel to Amsterdam would like very much if you could share your blog with us.

herbalsoaplady AT comcast DOT net

Regards,

Bobbi

Edited by herbalsoaplady

• 2 weeks later...

4vettes ~ I e-mailed you the blog.

We just returned from the Rinda - went S to N. Itinerary is slightly different going the other way.

We had the most fabulous time ever!! Ship is wonderful; staff the best; guides fantastic; but the CMs made it magical!!! We both agreed that even without the markets it'd be a wonderful trip - there would be more time to see the cities!!! I'd return any time of the year!!!!

Any specific questions ask away!!!!

4vettes ~ just sent the Lori's blog again - hope it goes through this time. Which direction are you traveling - N to S or S to N - there is a slight difference in itineraries - mostly around the Hiedelberg & Koblenz part of the river.

We traveled S to N - Basel to Amsterdam so any questions I might be able to help.

Have a great cruise!!!!

We just returned from the Rinda - went S to N. Itinerary is slightly different going the other way.

We had the most fabulous time ever!! Ship is wonderful; staff the best; guides fantastic; but the CMs made it magical!!! We both agreed that even without the markets it'd be a wonderful trip - there would be more time to see the cities!!! I'd return any time of the year!!!!

We will be sailing Basel to Amsterdam. This is our first River cruise. Do you have any comments on the Optional Tours Viking offers? I'm especially interested hearing about the Rudesheim evening tour. On our itinerary we will be docked in Rudesheim on New Years Eve.

Peg,

Would you please share

the blog information with me.

I am planning on doing Basel to Amsterdam for our next river cruise.

Email is herbalsoaplady AT comcast DOT net

Thank You

herbalsoaplady ~ just sent an e-mail. What time of year are you planning your cruise? The Christmas Markets were fabulous but I'd take the cruise any time of year!

Any specific questions just ask away! After the Christmas business I'll post more and a slide show of photos! Just too much now!

Got2cruise ~ photos will be coming - I promise - Christmas has just gotten in the way!!! Amsterdam is a fabulous city - we would have stayed post-cruise but, since we've been there before, we decided it'd be too much with Christmas so close.

We took a short day trip to Zaansa Schnitzel an area with windmills and shops. Easily took the bus from near the central station - about 45 minutes each way. Last time there - 2011 - planned on a train trip to Haarlam but rain and jet lag changed our minds. Will see if I still have any info on lap top.

The red light district is interesting - walk through it day and night - different experience!!! If you're interested in the Anne Frank house get tickets beforehand - internet or at tourist center in Ams. Really no wait with timed tickets. Fun dining experience is an Indonesia Rice Table - almost like an oriental tapas - about 20 small dishes you share - lots of fun especially with a few people. A really good one is Indrapura - will post the site later when I'm on lap top.

I'll be interesting comparing your itinerary - non CMS and another line. We had a fabulous time on Viking!!!!

To All:

My wife and I have always been on ocean cruises, but its been a dream of ours to do a RC particularly the Christmas Markets. We are planning to book very soon for 2014 in late Nov/Dec.

As we have never done this before obviously some of the questions we have relate to which Christmas Markets are the best, which RC company should we book with, and is there an itinerary that is more preferable than others?

Really appreciate any help you can pass along:)

Edited by Chelsea Cruiser

Got2cruise ~ photos will be coming - I promise - Christmas has just gotten in the way!!! Amsterdam is a fabulous city - we would have stayed post-cruise but, since we've been there before, we decided it'd be too much with Christmas so close.

We took a short day trip to Zaansa Schnitzel an area with windmills and shops. Easily took the bus from near the central station - about 45 minutes each way. Last time there - 2011 - planned on a train trip to Haarlam but rain and jet lag changed our minds. Will see if I still have any info on lap top.

The red light district is interesting - walk through it day and night - different experience!!! If you're interested in the Anne Frank house get tickets beforehand - internet or at tourist center in Ams. Really no wait with timed tickets. Fun dining experience is an Indonesia Rice Table - almost like an oriental tapas - about 20 small dishes you share - lots of fun especially with a few people. A really good one is Indrapura - will post the site later when I'm on lap top.

I'll be interesting comparing your itinerary - non CMS and another line. We had a fabulous time on Viking!!!!

I got a real chuckle out of the name of the town you visited....

Zaansa Schnitzel

You must have auto correct ☺️😊.

H2Otstr ~ I'm laughing right now reading what I wrote!!! Yes the problem with a tablet that just auto-corrects and I don't check it!!! Real name - Zaanse Schans - and I doubled checked it!!!!

Thanks for pointing out my error!!!! and giving me a laugh in this busy, crazy season!!!

4vettes ~ just sent the Lori's blog again - hope it goes through this time. Which direction are you traveling - N to S or S to N - there is a slight difference in itineraries - mostly around the Hiedelberg & Koblenz part of the river.

We traveled S to N - Basel to Amsterdam so any questions I might be able to help.

Have a great cruise!!!!

We are also sailing Viking Forseti (South- North) and have some questions.

From a previous blog it looks like you did the optional Viking evening tour in Rudesheim. What time did you return to the boat?

Did you do any of the other optional tours and if so please share some particulars.

What time is the ship's dinner serving?

Is river water level an issue on sailings this time of the year?