NJ to Cape Lberty to Newark

doemichael

That's a different choice. You might want to contact Black Executive car service and get a quote to Cape Liberty. I'm guessing $50-55. There is also a less expensive public transit + cab option that would run about $20. Post backif you are interested.

I'd definitely prearrange a fixed price ride so you know the cost ahead of time. Jersey City to Bayonne would not be a metered ride regardless.

That's a different choice. You might want to contact Black Executive car service and get a quote to Cape Liberty. I'm guessing $50-55. There is also a less expensive public transit + cab option that would run about $20. Post backif you are interested.

I'd definitely prearrange a fixed price ride so you know the cost ahead of time. Jersey City to Bayonne would not be a metered ride regardless.

Thanks for reply.

Can I just ask a question please, Why would it not be metered ride ? All all taxi in New York not metered ?

I read your details more carefully and it looks like you are sailing the NCL Breakaway. I assumed that since you were staying in a New Jersey hotel that you were sailing from Cape Liberty - my bad.

You will still need a car service to go from downtown Jersey City the the Manhattan Cruiseport. My guess is that this will cost $80-100. When you ask for a quote, be sure you get one that has a base charge and a toll estimate. Then add another 15-20% for a tip and you will have the final cost.

When you go from New Jersey to New York there are no metered rides because you are crossing state lines.

Public transit + cab would be a more budget option if you can manage your luggage. You are staying right by the Journal Square Path station where you can get a Path train to 33rd St for $2.25/pp. From 33rd St to the pier would be a metered cab ride and would be about $15.

I read your details more carefully and it looks like you are sailing the NCL Breakaway. I assumed that since you were staying in a New Jersey hotel that you were sailing from Cape Liberty - my bad.

You will still need a car service to go from downtown Jersey City the the Manhattan Cruiseport. My guess is that this will cost $80-100. When you ask for a quote, be sure you get one that has a base charge and a toll estimate. Then add another 15-20% for a tip and you will have the final cost.

When you go from New Jersey to New York there are no metered rides because you are crossing state lines.

Public transit + cab would be a more budget option if you can manage your luggage. You are staying right by the Journal Square Path station where you can get a Path train to 33rd St for $2.25/pp. From 33rd St to the pier would be a metered cab ride and would be about $15.

$80-$100 for a 8 mile journey ? Think I have put info in wrong, as I am not from States so may have got confused.

The hotel

Ramada Jersey City Hotel

65 Tonnelle Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306

From google maps I can see it is 8 miles from hotel to Cape Liberty cruise terminal which as far as I know is the one we are leaving from .

$80-$100 for a 8 mile journey ? Think I have put info in wrong, as I am not from States so may have got confused.

The hotel

Ramada Jersey City Hotel

From google maps I can see it is 8 miles from hotel to Cape Liberty cruise terminal which as far as I know is the one we are leaving from .

sorry ment to say Manhattan

The hotel

Ramada Jersey City Hotel

sorry ment to say Manhattan

Yes, your ship leaves from Manhattan, not Cape Liberty.

138east's estimate is a touch high. I suggest you book a car through one of these services, which are among the largest in the area:

Dial 7 : http://www.dial7.com , or Carmel: http://www.carmellimo.com

You should be quoted a base fare of $45-50, to which you must add tolls (about $13) and tip ($10 would be more than adequate). Your total cost should be about $70-75.

Yes, your ship leaves from Manhattan, not Cape Liberty.

138east's estimate is a touch high. I suggest you book a car through one of these services, which are among the largest in the area:

Dial 7 : http://www.dial7.com , or Carmel: http://www.carmellimo.com

You should be quoted a base fare of $45-50, to which you must add tolls (about $13) and tip ($10 would be more than adequate). Your total cost should be about $70-75.

Thanks, still am in shock at price for such a short distance lol.

Thanks, still am in shock at price for such a short distance lol.

Keep in mind Manhattan is a small island, accessible by only ferries, tunnels, bridges, and aircraft. At busy times a day, 8 miles can equal an hour or more in traffic. My husband worked in NYC for almost 20 years, and although we live less than 15 miles from his office building, it would take him an average of an hour to get there, and that is with public transportation (bus/subway), which is usually quicker than a private car.

It's a wonderful city!

Is there a particular reason why you're staying in New Jersey when you're cruising out of New York?

When we booked the hotel for a number of reasons, close to Newark airport, shuttle from airport , close to Path station and price. Checked transport in and out of NY and happy enough as usually once we leave hotel that is s for the day. As so close to NY never though of price of getting to cruise terminal as so close but still works out cheaper than staying in hotel in Manhattan

Thanks for replies everyone, think we are going to book a car.

Rates are high as you are crossing state lines...different states, different companies...different rules and regulations...yes it is expensive...even going from the EWR area to the pier in New Jersey...about 10 miles or so, costs $50...things are just REALLY costly in NJ/NY...due to insurance for one....among other things..

ALSO..if you're in a taxi - cabs cannot legally pick up return fares in another state..so you're essentially covering the cost of the cab to get back to NJ or NY without another paying customer..

The Ramada in Jersey City may be OK but it's in a VERY busy area with a LOT of traffic.....so allow extra time to get around......

there are probably better choices.....

Rates are high as you are crossing state lines...different states, different companies...different rules and regulations...yes it is expensive...even going from the EWR area to the pier in New Jersey...about 10 miles or so, costs $50...things are just REALLY costly in NJ/NY...due to insurance for one....among other things..

ALSO..if you're in a taxi - cabs cannot legally pick up return fares in another state..so you're essentially covering the cost of the cab to get back to NJ or NY without another paying customer..

The Ramada in Jersey City may be OK but it's in a VERY busy area with a LOT of traffic.....so allow extra time to get around......

there are probably better choices.....

Thanks for taking time to reply. Was considering changing hotel but as we have already prepaid and no cancellation allowed we would lose what we have already paid so have decided just to live with it.

I have spend last 2 days looking a transport to and from hotel into New York , happy enough now with travelling and will book a car for the day of cruise to take us to terminal, still cheaper than a new hotel lol

Will remember next time to research more before booking when visiting a city for first time lol.

Please report back on your experience at the Ramada. This hotel has a lot going for it logistically - airport shuttle, Path trains to both uptown and downtown NY, and generally a lot closer in to NYC than the Newark Airport hotels. It's also more of a budget hotel. It might not suit a lot of folks, but it would be nice to know more about this option from someone who has stayed there.

Qdoes your cruise sail on a Sunday? If so, it will be a quick ride through the Holland Tunnel and up the West Side to the pier.

Archived