Juneau fishing excursion for one

emeltee

My brother is interested in fishing during our Juneau stop. I think he may be the only one going (unless DH decides to join him.)

Should he just go with the Princess excursion, or is there a charter that will take several small parties out on a boat?

Also, what is the likelyhood that he'll catch something on one of these fishing excursions? We'll be in Juneau on July 10.

My brother is interested in fishing during our Juneau stop. I think he may be the only one going (unless DH decides to join him.)

Should he just go with the Princess excursion, or is there a charter that will take several small parties out on a boat?

Also, what is the likelyhood that he'll catch something on one of these fishing excursions? We'll be in Juneau on July 10.

The catching of a fish is near Guaranteed. He'll see plenty of wildlife and maybe catch a fish.

As I tell everyone, I have access to my own boat ans such in Juneau, so I really can't tell you that Company X is better than Charter Service Y. However, I can answer about the fishing in Juneau part.

I like to point people to the Alaska Fish and Game sport fishing reports. Go to the following page and select Juneau under SE Alaska: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishingReports/index.cfm?ADFG=main.home

Depending on the time of year you visit the page, you will see the current fishing report or the last report from the previous year. You can go down the page and view the archive reports. Take a look at the reports from previous years and you'll get an idea of what the fishing conditions were like for that year.

I'm sure you will figure out what a "rod hour" is, but in case you are new to fishing, a rod hour is exactly what it sounds like. It is a measure of how long your rod/fishing line is in the water fishing. The fishing reports are often measured in rod hours.

July 10 traditionally is a decent time for halibut in the Juneau area. However, salmon can be a little scarce around that time (well you'll see them jumping everywhere, but they never seem to bite). The King salmon run will be over, but they will still be around. Don't count on catching one though. You'll catch one King for every 100 to 200 rod hours fishing this time of year.

Chum salmon will be around as well as some Pink salmon (you can recognize a salmon by their jump. A Chum salmon jumps out of the water sideways and lands on its side when it enters the water, kind of like a skipping stone. A Pink salmon will usually jump up out of the water and flip around everywhere while in the air). However, the number of rod hours to catch one of these is still usually over 10 rod hours per fish this time of year.

So what does all this mean when it comes to your chances for catching fish? If you are going halibut fishing, I would say that you probably have a decent chance of landing 1 or 2 during a tide (roughly 6 hours). If you are set on fishing salmon, I would expect that you might get 1 in a tide. On a good day this time of year, you might get 2 or 3 salmon, but I would guess that would be an exception rather than the norm.

If I were advising a family member, I would probably recommend fishing halibut this time of year. Right around this time is when I like to fish halibut in Juneau.

Its called fishing not catching :D

I've shared a boat in the past and then also just charted one for the family. Fishing is very seasonal, as the other poster noted it depends heavily on where, when and what you are fishing. If budget isn't an issue and experience and catching a priority, don't share, charter your own boat but that is serious $$$

A few years ago we were there similar time frame and did pretty well. Everyone got a rotation on the poles and caught something. We did see some boats with no luck and some come back with nothing, thus if you were one of six on that boat it would be more fishing than catching.

1705970155_242KenourGuide-CaptainwithChris.jpg.7653f817ec123ed2923d5b797bf6d466.jpg

Archived