Will a small ship make me more sea sick than the bigger ones?

slh182

No - because they are not small.

Sure, some are absolutely ENORMOUS. But even the not-largest of all of them is NOT small.

No worries.

But just in case, Guest Services gives out Bonine for free. :)

This is exactly true- there will be little difference between the motion of Monarch and the motion felt on Liberty. They are both ginormous cruise ships.

I've heard some people recently talking about motion on the Oasis and Allure. I'm wondering if their massive profile makes them more susceptible to motion caused by the wind. Perhaps they cut through waves effortlessly, but are pushed around a little more by forces above the waterline. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered about this too, Sam, we did several cruises this past year- 90 pax on the choppy Humbolt current in Galapagos, 300 pax on a v shallow drafted ship in the South Pacific, 2000 pax on Jewel in the W Caribbean. But the roughest was Oasis in a stiff wind for 2 nights. It was a little stunning actually, I wonder if your explanation might be the reason?:confused: My DH worked at the top of the Pru for several years, on windy days the whole building swayed and the water in the toilets sloshed!:eek:

I don't really understand the frequent "premium price" comments on Bonine. It's $5.00 for 16 chewable tablets. If you can drop thousands of bucks on cruise $5.00 shouldn't be that hard to swing.

It is not a question about affording it. I always buy the generic version (if available) of any drug I need. It is a matter of principle. Why would I pay more for a product when I can buy the exact same thing for less?

We were on the Allure in early December and the ship rocked more than any ship I have been on since 1983 when we had a broken stabilizer. We were on the 10th floor but we felt it as much on the Royal Promenade. We did not get seasick but it required some adjustment walking and we were not really able to use our balcony. That said we loved the ship and are going on Oasis soon.

We ran into a storm forming and the winds combined with the ship speed was equal to 50 mph winds. The Oasis class ships are more prone to rocking because they are rather top heavy and the size catches the wind. As other poster have said a lower cabin in the middle of the ship will minimize the motion. Don't forgo the bigger ships, they're great.

Super tendency to get motion sick here, and I'm usually a Bonine girl too. But on our last cruise I was brave and tried MotionEaze after hearing great reviews about it.

And I loved it, even more than Bonine! Two drops behind each ear each day and I was good to go. Highly recommended, and you can use it even after symptoms have started to get relief in 3 minutes. :D

There is an nice aroma when you first put it on that fades quickly (I think from the ingredient of lavender oil maybe) but all natural and absolutely no drowsiness, etc. You can find it at Walmart:

http://www.motioneaze.com/motioneaze/motion-sickness-relief/

Knock on wood that it works on my next cruise too LOL.

Super tendency to get motion sick here, and I'm usually a Bonine girl too. But on our last cruise I was brave and tried MotionEaze after hearing great reviews about it.

And I loved it, even more than Bonine! Two drops behind each ear each day and I was good to go. Highly recommended, and you can use it even after symptoms have started to get relief in 3 minutes. :D

There is an nice aroma when you first put it on that fades quickly (I think from the ingredient of lavender oil maybe) but all natural and absolutely no drowsiness, etc. You can find it at Walmart:

http://www.motioneaze.com/motioneaze/motion-sickness-relief/

Knock on wood that it works on my next cruise too LOL.

I'll grab some of that too! Couldn't hurt!

Hi everyone,

DH and I are thinking of going on a small ship like the monarch of the seas or the vision of the seas. We have been on the Liberty and the Allure and they both made me sea sick. Do you feel the motion more on the smaller ships, or are they all about the same?

Thanks.

Depends on weather really and your disposition to getting seasick. I've not had any issues on the small ships and in fact the one time my stomach did feel a little off was on the Crown Princess - a large ship. But a little ginger tea and I was as right as rain.

stabilizers do not work when the current is not flowing from forward to aft. There is little a ship can do to minimize side to side motion if the waves are coming at the ship from either port or starboard. Additionally, the size can have an impact....the flat sides of a large ship act like a sail when the wind is coming from either port or starboard.

Here is my 2 cents. We have cruised on Small to Medium so far.

Norwegian Crown-34,242 GT--only cruise we got sick(only one day)

Norwegian Spirit-75,388 GT

Royal Caribbean Enchantment OTS- 80,700

We noticed more movement on the Crown then any other ship. Of course like other posters have stated it depends on the seas, wind and currents.

Next Cruise in May is on the Explorer OTS- 137,308 GT. This is over 4 times "bigger" then our first cruise ship. I think this qualifies as a big ship.

We will still take our Bonine before and during our trip. Like I said I have only been sea sick once and it was very rough weather that day and I sat through a presentation in the theatre in the front of the ship right before it started bothering me. (DW was already down with it) So I am always cautious and take the Bonine.

Happy Cruising

I've been playing, and occasionally working, on the water for 50 years. The bottom line is a smaller vessel will move around more in the SAME sea conditions as a larger vessel. Most cruise ships, even the ones we consider smaller, are still large vessels. There's a video out of a 1,000' aircraft carrier stuffing it's bow in a 90' wave. No matter how big a ship is the sea is capable of producing conditions that will throw it around. The correct phrasing of the OPs question is, "Will I be more likely to experience sea sickness on a smaller ship?", and the correct answer is, "yes but..." The deciding factor is going to be the wind and the waves.

I always recommend Bonine to passengers who tell me they get seasick.

Monarch of the Seas.....73,937GT

Allure of the Seas.....225,282GT

OP, it helps to book a cabin midship on a lower deck where movement is less likely to be felt.

NowTHIS is a small ships......47,413GT

Sailed on this ship a number of times in rough seas.:eek::D

zenith.jpg

LOL, that's not a small ship. It's all relative.

My latest cruises were on, respectively, the Swan Hellenic Minerva (12,449 tons):

Minerva_400.jpg

And the Aegean Odyssey, run by Voyages to Antiquity (11,906 tons)!

Hi everyone,

DH and I are thinking of going on a small ship like the monarch of the seas or the vision of the seas. We have been on the Liberty and the Allure and they both made me sea sick. Do you feel the motion more on the smaller ships, or are they all about the same?

Thanks.

If you have been sea sick on Liberty and Allure, I suspect you will experience a similar situation on the Monarch, not because of the size of the ship but because your body seems to be especially prone to motion sickness. All of the ships from Monarch to Allure have stabilizers that will minimize motion but in high seas, you will feel some motion regardless of the size of the ship. Monarch is considered a "small ship" only when compared to such megaliners such as Radiance, Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships. Compared to some of the ships that we first sailed on a few decades ago, Monarch would be considered quite large. Were the seas exceptionally rough when you were on Liberty and Allure. If so, you might not have a problem on Monarch in smooth seas, but if I were you, I would investigate some of the motion sickness preventative measures and begin them before you board the ship. :)

Archived